TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
prettygale17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephanie

Points: 8,001, Level: 13 Points: 8,001, Level: 13 Points: 8,001, Level: 13

Question Dating older men :) - April 1st 2013, 11:14 PM

So I've been talking to a guy and he is really nice and sweet and we flirt with each other a lot and we really like each other the thing is i'm 16 and he's 22 we would be a long distance relationship he lives 3 hours away from me but doesnt have a car so he cant drive up to me but is is wrong that im in involved with a 22 year old and be honest i dont know whats your input on this relationship is it okay to stay with him or is is just wrong
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
leavemealone Offline
I Still Miss You <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raewyn

Points: 10,040, Level: 14 Points: 10,040, Level: 14 Points: 10,040, Level: 14

Re: Dating older men :) - April 1st 2013, 11:39 PM

6 years is a big difference, but that's just my opinion. Some girls like to date older men just because they're more mature and experienced than someone who is younger, and I don't see anything wrong with that, but when it comes to being underage I would put my foot down. You're only 16 and he is 22, and judging by your description of your relationship so far it is safe to assume that you've never met him before. Personally, I would say that it's not a good idea to date him. He may be super nice and he may seem to be a perfect fit for you, but unless your family is okay with you dating an older man, unless you meet him personally (with someone with you!), and unless he actually turns out to be a sweet person, I wouldn't get mixed in with a complete stranger who you don't really know.

Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire

(#3 (permalink)) Old
prettygale17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephanie

Points: 8,001, Level: 13 Points: 8,001, Level: 13 Points: 8,001, Level: 13

Re: Dating older men :) - April 2nd 2013, 12:25 AM

we Skype and talk on the phone he actually plan on renting a car to come out to see me and with my parents i guess your right about that my parents would really approve of such a relationship like that but i have deeep feelings for him and he tells me the same he says he loves me and that he would want to marry me and be with me forever how can i turn away from that???
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Temperance Offline
Mi Vida Loca
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess :)

Points: 11,018, Level: 15 Points: 11,018, Level: 15 Points: 11,018, Level: 15

Re: Dating older men :) - April 2nd 2013, 01:40 AM

All I have to say is be careful, and make sure you know what kind of situation you're getting yourself into. I my self am dating a man that is 9 years my senior (I'm 23 and he just turned 32) so for ne to say anything against such an age gap would be hypocrisy.

~We're all misfits living in a world on fire~

Butterfly, don't fly away on me yet

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15

Re: Dating older men :) - April 2nd 2013, 03:09 AM

Have you guys been talking for a long time? Because when someone says they love you and want to be with you forever after only talking to you for a little bit, it usually throws up red flags, regardless of age difference. I'm saying this because those people have a tendency to latch on extremely quickly and then get extremely dependent, and it doesn't always turn out well.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Points: 20,224, Level: 20 Points: 20,224, Level: 20 Points: 20,224, Level: 20

Re: Dating older men :) - April 2nd 2013, 03:52 AM

Just be careful and be safe. Age is just a number but when you are under 18 it isn't always the best idea and you just have to be smarter about it. I was 16 dating a 21 year old in England, but we never met so it wasn't a big deal. But now that I am 20 I am dating a 25 year old and the age difference isn't a big deal. But it's because I am an adult so it's more accepted. People worry more when you are still a teenager going for an adult guy. But there really isn't anything wrong liking older guys. Females are mentally 2 years more mature than males, so mentally we are kinda drawn to the maturity of older men. At least that's my thoughts on it.

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Dating older men :) - April 3rd 2013, 12:20 AM

Personally, I find it inappropriate for a twenty-two year old to be with a sixteen year old. When you're sixteen six years is a big age difference, never mind the legal implications that would come with any sort of sexual contact. You're still in high school, whereas he's (hopefully) an adult with adult responsibilities. To me, it's strange that an adult would want to be with someone who still has at least a year left in high school and is a minor to boot. I cannot in good conscience tell you to go for it, but if you decide to, be very careful, physically and emotionally.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Dating older men :) - April 3rd 2013, 01:15 AM

Personally it's weird for me. To the point of it being creepy. I am turning 22 this year and I can't imagine dating someone who's only 16. Maybe I am biased due to the fact that I work with minors, most of the kids are under 12 years old BUT some of them are up to 18 years of age, so I look at it as being highly inappropriate from that point of view. Not to mention that you guys SHOULD be in 2 different stages of life. You're still a kid (teenager if calling you a kid is offensive). He's an adult. I kind of have to wonder what his interest is? Is he just immature or whats the deal? I'm not trying to dis him OR you. I'm just attempting to outline some of the reasons why I personally would question it.

Now I have seen plenty of people who end up with an age gap in their relationship and it's fine. Hell, my friend got married at 19 to a guy who was 26 (they dated for about a year beforehand). And if you were 18, I don't think I'd question this quite as much. But even though I've been trained to find it highly inappropriate from a professional point of view as well as a legal (statutory rape laws for example) I would still be highly wary and ask why he is interested in someone who is *supposed* to be in a different stage of life. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's fine, I would personally have concerns.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
geek27 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,791, Level: 12 Points: 7,791, Level: 12 Points: 7,791, Level: 12

Re: Dating older men :) - April 3rd 2013, 08:45 AM

You don't know real answer until you try, so go ahead, just be careful
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Dating older men :) - April 3rd 2013, 04:08 PM

I was in a very similar situation as you when I was 16, and it did not go well. The relationship was completely secret, we never got to see each other, and he wasn't the guy I thought he was in the end. So I'm warning you right now, really think about this. You are still a minor, and you need to think about all the repercussions of having a relationship with this man. I would personally advise against it.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
Closed Thread