TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Girlfriend and Snapchat? - September 28th 2013, 03:21 AM

So, we all know about the x-rated stuff that happens on Snapchat. I think it's a given that the majority of people know that sorts of explicit images are sometimes sent back and forth between people.

I was just told that my girlfriend has received "not naked but very borderline" Snapchats from other people. I was told this by my girlfriend herself.

Forget the legalities for a second. I don't want to talk about them. I feel it's more of a personal issue, and I am not entirely sure what to do.

A few months back, my girlfriend broke up with me because I refused to let her flirt with other guys. I was overprotective and I concede on that point. The break was good for me, and it allowed me to see things a little more objective.

That being said, is this actually something I should worry about?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Girlfriend and Snapchat? - September 28th 2013, 03:55 AM

I think what matters is are YOU okay with her getting nearly nude photos from other people on Snapchat. I assume you are in a monogamous relationship, no? Completely freaking out if your girlfriend flirts a little with someone is one thing, but receiving sexual images from other men over the internet is another thing. It doesn't necessarily mean she is going to cheat on you, or that she is sending back those sorts of images herself, but I would say it's within the realm of reasonable to be upset that your girlfriend is accepting pretty much nude pictures from random men on the internet.

Now, I don't know you or your girlfriend. For her, this may be a bit of harmless fun, and it doesn't mean anything. But it sounds like it really makes you uncomfortable, and if that's the case, it may be time to have a talk with your girlfriend. It's honorable that she came to you and told you about these photos, instead of you finding out like it was a big dirty secret. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's okay to just say that it's fine if it's not.

So have a talk with her about it. Let her know it makes you uncomfortable and why. If she gets defensive about it, ask her to think about how she would truly feel if you flirted blatantly in front of her. How she would feel if you were on Snapchat accepting pictures of women who were almost completely naked.

If it doesn't go in a resolvable direction for the both of you, it may be time to ask yourself if you want to be with someone who engages in these sorts of behaviors when they know they are upsetting and that they make you uncomfortable.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always be yourself
Average Joe

Name: Brittany

Points: 7,018, Level: 12 Points: 7,018, Level: 12 Points: 7,018, Level: 12

Re: Girlfriend and Snapchat? - September 29th 2013, 08:30 PM

It sounds like your girlfriend is on a slippery slope. I can understand not wanting a boyfriend who is controlling and tells her who she can talk to. But flirting is different. And receiving risqué photos from other men is way different. There has to be a line that she does not cross if you two are going to have a trusting relationship. She can ask that you not be overbearing but she does not have the right to walk all over you and your relationship.

I wonder if she would be alright with it if you did the same thing. She probably would feel very much different on the other side of it. If you are ok with what she is doing then it is fine I suppose. But if you are not, then you have the right to put your foot down and tell her you do not want her doing that. It is not too much to ask.

What if I fall?
Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?
Closed Thread