TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Theisraeli89 Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Points: 7,453, Level: 12 Points: 7,453, Level: 12 Points: 7,453, Level: 12

Should I tell an American girl I'm dating that I served the military ? - April 21st 2014, 05:40 PM

I served the IDF , that is the israeli military . This military has a bad image worldwide, they have the same image the Waffen S.S used to have during WWII. An army that kills innocent men , women and children , and even babies. As American girls , would you date a guy who served an army that kills children and babies ? don't you love children ? don't you love babies ? how can you date a guy that killed them , or at least was a part of an army that kills them ?

I mostly lie to people who ask me if I served the criminal IDF , telling them I wasn't recruited for being mentally unstable , and was instead sent to the civilian police to work in an office .
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: olive

Points: 11,355, Level: 15 Points: 11,355, Level: 15 Points: 11,355, Level: 15

Re: Should I tell an American girl I'm dating that I served the military ? - April 21st 2014, 09:43 PM

if you don't tell her, is there any chance of her finding out another way?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MercuryHalo Offline
AmazonQueen Reincarnated ;)
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessaloupe

Points: 6,657, Level: 12 Points: 6,657, Level: 12 Points: 6,657, Level: 12

Re: Should I tell an American girl I'm dating that I served the military ? - April 21st 2014, 10:48 PM

Don't lie. A relationship cannot be built on lies.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Points: 7,145, Level: 12 Points: 7,145, Level: 12 Points: 7,145, Level: 12

Re: Should I tell an American girl I'm dating that I served the military ? - April 22nd 2014, 12:22 AM

Definitely tell her. Whether she finds out or not, you can't build a relationship on lies. It's unfair to both or you. If she really likes you for who you are as a person, the fact that you served in the military won't bother her too much, and even if it does, she won't judge you for it. If she breaks up with you because of this, then it probably wasn't worth trying to be in a relationship with her anyway.

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell an American girl I'm dating that I served the military ? - April 22nd 2014, 08:38 AM

but i was told everyone has secrets. mum has kept a secret from me even
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Should I tell an American girl I'm dating that I served the military ? - April 22nd 2014, 11:58 AM

All military factions kill, but who they kill is determined by that single unit, that one person. Just because a military force may have harmed a certain generation of people does not necessarily mean that you have. There comes a point in life where you have to use something known as bending the truth. You tell someone the truth, but you hold back part of that truth. By all means tell your girlfriend that you've served in the military, but hold back what orders you had to carry out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive98 View Post
but i was told everyone has secrets. mum has kept a secret from me even
Yes, everyone has secrets, but remember that your mum keeping secrets from you is different than that of someone you are in a relationship with. Your mum has raised you from birth, she has kept secrets to protect you from things as a child, a partner however, has done neither of these things.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Should I tell an American girl I'm dating that I served the military ? - April 22nd 2014, 05:56 PM

Please don't lie to her. You need to be upfront and honest with her. If you served with the good military and she can't even accept that, then she is not a girl you want to be with.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Should I tell an American girl I'm dating that I served the military ? - April 22nd 2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTides View Post

Yes, everyone has secrets, but remember that your mum keeping secrets from you is different than that of someone you are in a relationship with. Your mum has raised you from birth, she has kept secrets to protect you from things as a child, a partner however, has done neither of these things.
am i allowed a secret from mum?
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Should I tell an American girl I'm dating that I served the military ? - April 24th 2014, 07:41 PM

Olive, I think that your question is probably better suited to another post of your own, not to be critical, I just think it's better we focus on the OP's question here

Any how, I don't think it is a big deal, loads of armies do nasty things. The Americans army isn't exactly squeaky clean of having some nasty soldiers too, call it collateral damage or what ever, it's shitty, but it's not like the Israeli army is singularly special in having a few black spots, so why does it matter?

So if I was your girlfriend I would not care in the slightest. In fact, if anything, I'd be pissed off that you thought that was something worth hiding (or at the very least confused about why you'd expect me to care).
For me, if I were your girlfriend, I'd be insulted that you thought I was so shallow and incapable of judging a character correctly that you'd truly believe my opinion would change just because you served in the Israeli army, especially cause you are Israeli, like, hello, service is mandatory, I'd probably be wondering about that any how and just unwilling to ask.

People see scary things during war, sometimes it was committed by the locals (ex. if you are intervening in a civil war or if you are fighting against another country in that country) and sometimes it is by your own people. Sometimes you had to kill people too. If you'd seen active combat I'd just want to know you were ok, especially if you, yourself, had to do something horrible. Like I have heard of women holding a baby and a grenade, and someone had to shoot the women to survive and the baby dies to, I mean, I have no idea if that's a real case, but it's awful.... I've read so man y things about civil wars and stuff, I know what happens during wars, and no army is always spotless... Israel isn't special like that.

I know you are extremely worried about what women think about you being Israeli, and to be honest, I don't think I will ever understand why, I just see it in post, after post, after post. Maybe you've had some bad experiences with people being irrational in someway and judging you, I don't know, but I do hope that with enough experience to show you otherwise you will be able to recover and heal from what ever things happened to you to make you so insecure.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread