TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kittykate Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,838, Level: 10 Points: 4,838, Level: 10 Points: 4,838, Level: 10

Question I don't know how to tell my girlfriend I support her - July 3rd 2015, 03:13 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi, I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place but I really need some help on something important to do with my girlfriend and her mental health issues. We are long distance but have met before and we have been together for nearly 6 months now with pretty much no problems or arguments aside from our differences of opinion etc. She has self harmed in the past up until around this time last year and I've known this ever since we became friends etc. There has been times in the past where she has become distant but it was always fairly minor and we've had no problem but last night I asked her if we were still okay as a couple as she has been acting very distant recently and as I don't want her to feel unhappy in the relationship etc and she told me that she feels as though she is disconnected from reality and that her relaxed persona (she comes across as a very relaxed person) feels fake and is like a state of anxiety? She's having worries about the future aswell as she says she can see us in the future but doesn't know how to get there. I told her I will help her the best I can and she went offline last night saying she'll talk to me today and so I texted her this morning saying can I call her to talk about it and she has had her phone taken away today (I'm not sure if her parents know about her mental state) so we are going to talk tomorrow but I just wondered if anyone has any advice on how I can tell her I support her and still love her and that she doesn't need to feel guilty because she said she doesn't want her mental state to affect our relationship and that she is sorry but I don't want her to feel sorry I just want to know how I can show her that it doesn't affect us as a couple? Additionally she has bad insomnia and is mildly schitzophrenic any advice is appreciated sorry if this is a big chunk of text I just want to help her any advice is appreciated thank you x
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I've been here a while

Name: Calaer

Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20

Re: I don't know how to tell my girlfriend I support her - July 3rd 2015, 04:39 PM

Hey there. It's refreshing to hear that you are here to support your girlfriend regardless of her mental state. Reading this article here may help answer some of your questions and help you along the way. The best way to show support is to just be there for her. Send her uplifting words of encouragement and remind her everyday of how great she is. Be there of her when she needs someone to talk to. When you noticed her feeling down remind her that she isn't alone, and that you're always there for her.

I really hope this helps. If you ever need anything feel free to VM/PM me anytime! I wish you the best of luck. Take care!

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Points: 6,489, Level: 11 Points: 6,489, Level: 11 Points: 6,489, Level: 11

Re: I don't know how to tell my girlfriend I support her - July 4th 2015, 02:12 PM

Hi - it's nice that you wish to support your girlfriend with her troubles. To be honest, I think you should tell her everything you shared here - that you are concerned for her and would like very much to help any way you can, and that she does not have to worry about her struggles affecting your relationship. I wish you both well and hope you get the chance to speak to her soon
Closed Thread