TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
OneGaangAOT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,526, Level: 9 Points: 4,526, Level: 9 Points: 4,526, Level: 9

Exclamation Got a boyfriend that i don't like - December 7th 2015, 08:14 AM

Okay, i just got a boyfriend a month ago. I really liked hem and he asked me. But right now i feel like i like him as a friend. Not a boyfriend. But i just don't have the hart to break up with him. And i'm sure my friends will make fun of me.
Please help me!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Vegemate Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeremy

Points: 7,623, Level: 12 Points: 7,623, Level: 12 Points: 7,623, Level: 12

Re: Got a boyfriend that i don't like - December 7th 2015, 04:40 PM

Just tell him.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Got a boyfriend that i don't like - December 7th 2015, 04:44 PM

If you're not happy with him you need to end it sooner or later. The longer you drag it out the more you'll hurt him. You're only 14, it's okay to break up so early especially since you're so young. Don't worry about what your friends will think, this has nothing to do with them. If you don't let this guy go, you won't be able to date someone that you do actually like in the future.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Points: 11,420, Level: 15 Points: 11,420, Level: 15 Points: 11,420, Level: 15

Re: Got a boyfriend that i don't like - December 7th 2015, 04:55 PM

Hey there I was actually in the exact same position as you a couple of years ago. I had started dating this guy, he was really nice and caring and by far the nicest boyfriend I had ever had, and two weeks into our relationship I started feeling this strange feeling, like something just wasn't right in our relationship... Back then I couldn't put my finger on it, I just knew that I didn't want to be dating him, and now when I look back on it I can see that it was because my feelings for him didn't extend beyond those of friendship; there just wasn't that "zest" which is romantic relationships.
I felt almost revolted by this relationship (not by him, just the relationship), and I wanted to break up with him, but I was very nervous... I didn't want to hurt his feelings, and, I didn't want anyone to think that I was one of these people who get into relationships just for the fun. So I pondered on it for another week, talked to my mum about it, talked to a couple of my close friends about it, and finally decided that I had to do it.
I didn't want to just drop it on him though, so for a day I distanced myself from him by acting a bit unusual (not waiting for him after class, not kissing, etc.) so that he might get a hint and be somewhat prepared. Anyway, the next day at break time I told him that I was really sorry and that this relationship wasn't working out for me, that it wasn't his fault, and that I'd like to stay friends.
Of course he was a bit stunned and hurt at first, and for the next couple of months it was very awkward to be around him, but I'm very happy that I broke it off.

Now to apply this to your situation, here are the reasons why you should break up with him:
- if this isn't working for you now, it won't work in the future either, even if you try; you can't make yourself love someone.
- if you stay in this relationship, you will just be digging the whole deeper and deeper so that when you finally decide to break it off, it'll be much harder for the both of you to climb out of it.
- if you stay in this relationship with him, you'll be lying to him about your feelings, and the whole relationship will be a lie -- and that's much worse than just telling him.

So, the right thing to do is to be sincere and tell him how you feel. I suggest that like I did, you spend a day or two just distancing yourself from him so that it doesn't come to such a big surprise. Then, before he goes home, tell him how you feel in a gentle way, and insist on the fact that it wasn't anything that he did, and that you'd like to stay friends.

I know you can do this, trust me, it's the nicest thing to do in this situation.
Good luck!

Skye

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Got a boyfriend that i don't like - December 8th 2015, 02:58 AM

I dated a guy for 3 days one time. Just know you're doing better then that and it'll be ok. Loads of people only date for under the 3 month mark and there is nothing wrong with deciding he's not the guy for you. In fact, it makes sense that you originally thought you liked him and are now realizing that he's not the one for you; that's typically something realized early on, not down the road (down the road is usually dramatic upheavals of some kind). You're on the right track and need to do what's right for you

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Got a boyfriend that i don't like - December 8th 2015, 05:06 AM

If a relationship isn't right for you it's important that you don't stay in it. If you continue to have him as your boyfriend you aren't being honest with him and you'll only make yourself unhappy. Do what's best for both of you and be honest with him. It's okay to break up with somebody, and the longer you wait to do it the more painful it will be for both of you.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LifeTheRonWay Offline
I live to serve
Average Joe

Name: Ron

Points: 9,996, Level: 14 Points: 9,996, Level: 14 Points: 9,996, Level: 14

Re: Got a boyfriend that i don't like - December 8th 2015, 05:27 PM

It's important to remember you can't stay with someone just to make them happy. Honesty is a big part of a relationship. It's important that you tell him the truth. Allowing things to continue will only make it uglier in the end, if you don't want to be with him.
Relationships teach you about yourself as much as they do about being with someone else.
You'll learn what you want, and what you need from another person.
Just remember that he is a person with feelings too. Sit down and talk with him. Be sincere, be honest.

-Ron
Closed Thread