TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
OhMyLorde Offline
peace love unity respect
Not a n00b

Name: k

Points: 7,432, Level: 12 Points: 7,432, Level: 12 Points: 7,432, Level: 12

Question Dating Somebody In a Different Religion - June 5th 2019, 12:03 AM

Hi,

There's this guy I dated for a little and we have since broken up. He talked to me recently and explained his reasons for breaking up with me and it made me rethink everything. He honestly checks all the boxes for me, except he is very into his religion and I am an atheist. He doesn't care, but we both feel like getting back together can only cause pain since it'll have to end at some point. We both know how much we care about each other and although the love word hasn't been mentioned since the breakup it's there for both of us. We've talked about everything from marriage to raising kids and he said he will only marry within his faith. It kills both of us because we can't imagine life without each other, but we don't know how to make it work.

Has anybody had an experience with this? What did you do?

we will forever be faded under gold skies
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Dating Somebody In a Different Religion - June 5th 2019, 11:35 PM

Hi, thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry for coming across as ignorant; what is the problem exactly? Are his parents forbidding him from marrying someone outside his religion? Is he in a religion where all marriages are arranged with limited, if any, exception? It's great that he's respecting your choices and you are respecting his, and it definitely sounds like you two are very much in love and care about one another deeply.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of better help. Maybe if you could answer these questions, I can give better advice.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Dating Somebody In a Different Religion - June 7th 2019, 10:17 AM

Sometimes, people can seems so perfect for each other, but something can get away. Religion is a really big issue. Even if someone checks all your other boxes but they don't check the religion box that's a really big deal. If he's only willing to marry inside his faith that sounds like it's a boundary for him, and there's not much you can do about that.

There are other ways to be involved in someone's life then romantically. I believe you can still both find fulfilling ways to be with each other. But as long as you both feel strongly about your religious beliefs it's not going to work, especially on his end. Ultimately you're going to make yourselves unhappy if you keep trying. Perhaps, if you are really committed, you can make a deal like revisiting it in a few years' time. But for now, I'd focus on connecting in other ways.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Online
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,454, Level: 42 Points: 88,454, Level: 42 Points: 88,454, Level: 42

Re: Dating Somebody In a Different Religion - June 12th 2019, 08:37 AM

Hi there,

I've personally never been in a situation where religion has been an issue in my relationships with someone. I am currently dating someone who is an atheist and I'm a Catholic though as mentioned above, it hasn't been an issue for us.

For some people, religion means a great deal for them and parents/guardians/family members often wish for their child/ren to marry someone who is of the same religion because they believe in the same values as them.

I don't believe this should be the reason to come between a couple though. If you are in love with someone, you're in love.

Closed Thread