TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Dating an ex - September 26th 2011, 09:20 PM

Well obviously I was wondering what some people opinions were on dating an ex and also dating almost directly after a break up.

Basically we are both fresh out of relationships, I don't know how long his was for but I was with my girlfriend for 10 months. My girlfriend dumped me on Thursday, exactly 10 months together. And he just dumped his girlfriend today because she's moving away and they don't want a long distance relationship. The reason he's my ex is because we dated when I was 13 and we mutually made bad decisions to send each other dirty pictures. At the time his mother was dating a cop and they both threatened to have us arrested if we didn't break up because the cop didn't like me for it. Well two years later, his mother's relationship with said cop has ended a while ago, and she has forgiven us understanding it was bad choices and teenage hormones. So his mom is okay with me now and these 2 years we've never really stopped liking one another.

Under those circumstances, what do you think of dating an ex? And also so soon after a break up?

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Dating an ex - September 26th 2011, 09:36 PM

The choice is completely up to you. For me, I was seeing this guy, J, from November of 2006 until December of 2008 when he broke up with me. We were both going in different directions, but it wasn't a mutual break up. I was willing to try to make things work while he wasn't. I was single for almost a month, and in January of 2009, I began dating my current boyfriend Kris. We've been together ever since.

It was a decision for me that worked. I don't like to be alone, and I had been in love with Kris since I met him when I was 16, almost directly before I started dating J. Nothing came of it then since I was younger, he was over 18, and he had a girlfriend of 2.5 years by then.

If you're both willing to give it a try, I don't see a problem with it. Of course, he is an ex for a reason, and since you know the circumstances of which you've broken up, and things will be better off now than they were then, there should be no issue.

If you're questioning it, maybe you should sit down and evaluate everything before taking a plunge into a new relationship right away.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I've been here a while

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: Dating an ex - September 26th 2011, 09:59 PM

Well I'm not really questioning it so much as wondering what other people's opinions are on it, and if maybe just getting out of a relationship is affecting the decision, either way I still want to be with him so that's not really the major question

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: Dating an ex - September 26th 2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leochick123 View Post
Under those circumstances, what do you think of dating an ex? And also so soon after a break up?
I think it's perfectly ok to date an ex as long as it's not an awkward & you both have feelings for each other. And in my own opinion, I don't think a time frame makes a difference after a break up. As long as this guy isn't a rebound then there's really no problem. As long as you're both comfortable with it.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19

Re: Dating an ex - September 27th 2011, 03:31 AM

I don't think there is any problem with dating an ex, as long as you've worked out whatever issues caused you to break up in the first place. My current boyfriend and I broke up in the past due to external problems rather than problems with our relationship, but we've now been dating for four years straight. So it can definitely work, and since your breakup was the result of someone else and not because of any issues with the relationship, I think you guys can definitely make it work.

However, I do think that there might be issues caused by getting into the relationship so soon. For starters, you said he only just broke up with his girlfriend and only because she is moving away. But does he still have feelings for her? Is there the possibility that they will want to get back together in the future? And do you still have feelings for your ex-girlfriend? Have you truly moved on from that relationship?

If you've both truthfully moved on from your previous relationships, then that's fine. But if there are still lingering feelings for either of your exes, then I do think that could cause some serious problems in the relationship. I'm not saying that it can't work, but I just think it's important for you to both consider how you feel about your previous relationships.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Points: 13,983, Level: 17 Points: 13,983, Level: 17 Points: 13,983, Level: 17

Re: Dating an ex - September 27th 2011, 04:24 PM

Under those circumstances, I would say go for it. The relationship was broken off by outside control, not because of problems in the relationship. If you both like each other, then why not give it another chance?

In general, dating an ex is a bad idea. I've tried it before but discovered neither of us have ever changed enough for our original problems to go away. When it's been a case when he broke up with me, he often finds that I can still be controlling and demanding and that if anything, I have more of the negative qualities he tried so hard to get away from. And if I broke up with him, I'll discover that he's still the same jerk that cheated on me and broke my heart. The longer I stay with him, the more we remember why we broke up in the first place, and then it's usually a mutual decision to break up again.

You can see why I opened with what I did, though If there were no problems within the relationship that broke you apart, you won't suffer from what most people do when they date an ex. However, keep in mind that if there were any problems, they might surface again.

Dating so soon after a break up...it really depends. It depends on the relationship and on the person. But the way I see it is, if you start thinking about dating other people for reasons other than "I'm miserable and want someone to make me feel better" then I say you're ready for your next relationship. Because if you're not, you'll know. If you're not ready, you won't be able to stand thinking about it.

So based on all these factors, I would say the way is clear for you to be with him.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PianoGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandra

Points: 8,708, Level: 13 Points: 8,708, Level: 13 Points: 8,708, Level: 13

Re: Dating an ex - October 2nd 2011, 04:46 PM

I think you always want to be a little more cautious after two people decide to start dating fresh out of a relationship. Really ask yourselves WHY you're dating to make sure you're getting together for the right reasons. As long as you feel comfortable with the WHY, the rest should be okay.

A lot of people are hesitant about dating right out of a relationship because it can sometimes just be a distraction from the pain you feel about the previous relationship. It sounds like his break up was one more of convenience than because they don't WANT to be together so I'd be careful that the emotions in his relationship are really over.

Likewise, your relationship ended and it sounds like you're a little hurt that it ended exactly on the 10 month mark. Are you over that? Are you ready to move on?

I don't think there's anything wrong with dating an ex as long as you're doing it for the right reasons and you're sure you're going to get more out of the relationship than you got the last time you dated. Good Luck
Closed Thread