TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sam10037 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,626, Level: 12 Points: 7,626, Level: 12 Points: 7,626, Level: 12

Exclamation Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 01:25 PM

My parents just realized after checking my text messages that I was dating this girl. They threw a giant fit and were so mad at me for lying to them. They are really against me dating because I am to young or its un-ethical or this will hurt your future. I don't understand I am 15 and everyone is dating. So far my parents have let it passed ,but now my one month with my girlfriend is coming up and we want to just stay at home and watch movies and order in. My parents are deathly against "girls" in the house and are also refusing me to go to her house. I don't understand we would be under constant supervision! My parents just want us to go to some movie outside and then dinner and that's it. My girlfriend and me just want to stay home, cuddle with each other and watch star wars. My parents have been yelling at me constantly about my relationship with the girl. The girl is an A+ student and she comes from a family of teachers. I am also an A+ student and I don't plan on doing anything stupid with her. What should I do I am so confused and upset?

Last edited by sam10037; November 27th 2011 at 01:47 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13

Re: Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 02:37 PM

It sounds like they're holding on to you harder than you want to be held. That you feel convinced you're old enough but they are not sure. You've mentioned that you and this girl are of similar 'status', as far as education and a 'respectable' background go, but that doesn't appear to have changed the problem. As to what to do about that, really it is up to you to decide how to respond to this problem. But I understand your wish to ask for help - I know my own parents tended to hold on too tight when I felt ready to face adult life.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Infinitely Us Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Taylor

Points: 8,743, Level: 13 Points: 8,743, Level: 13 Points: 8,743, Level: 13

Re: Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 02:38 PM

First, tell your parents about this girl. Have a serious talk with them. Sit them down and just tell them about her and try to see their point of view. But don't make them upset or don't get upset because that'll just make things harder. And if your parents still say no, then just have her over for dinner one night and let your parents get to know her. I'm sure this will make things a lot easier! Message me if you need anymore advice(:

*Message me anytime whenever you need advice and someone to talk to!*
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 02:39 PM

My parents were the same way when I first started dating, they were all upset that I had a boyfriend, but they didn't stop me. They were just very vigilant and supervised everything. -_-

As for your parents reacting badly, the biggest reason was probably that you were keeping it a secret. You should probably apologize to them for not telling them before, and sit down and have a talk with them. Explain that you are 15, and you feel that you are old enough to start dating. Explain that you care about this girl very much and try to come to some sort of comprimise with them; make it a calm conversation and try to be as mature as possible, it may help them see that you are mature and responsible enough to start dating. Good luck!

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
sam10037 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koharuchan View Post
My parents were the same way when I first started dating, they were all upset that I had a boyfriend, but they didn't stop me. They were just very vigilant and supervised everything. -_-

As for your parents reacting badly, the biggest reason was probably that you were keeping it a secret. You should probably apologize to them for not telling them before, and sit down and have a talk with them. Explain that you are 15, and you feel that you are old enough to start dating. Explain that you care about this girl very much and try to come to some sort of comprimise with them; make it a calm conversation and try to be as mature as possible, it may help them see that you are mature and responsible enough to start dating. Good luck!
I did apologize to them and they have forgiven me somewhat. I also tried speaking with them and they said that they don't care if I date ,but they think I am to young to be inviting them to house for dates and stuff like that. They want me to keep it strictly outside but I can see a problem arising from that. I tried telling my parents that they should meet her but they don't want to get involved. How can I get them to meet and make them realize nothing bad will happen? I will ask again if they want to meet her for dinner because my parents have to know the full truth and light behind this.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
sam10037 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 03:23 PM

I just asked my mom again and she said no way are girls allowed in the house. She again said I am too young for girls to be allowed in the house which is really making me upset and angry! How the hell do I convince her that nothing will happen. I also told her right out how its kinda funny how she would rather let us go outside (with a group of friends) where she can't keep an eye on us than stay at home where she can have constant supervision. I am really getting upset and frustrated over this and my girlfriend is also feeling upset. I don't know what to do!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 04:32 PM

Instead of getting upset and angry (which can lead to hurtful words which can upset your parents even more) I would sit them down and ask them for reasons as to why your girlfriend cannot come over. It sounds like they haven't given you any valid reasons as to why they say she can't come over.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Points: 12,494, Level: 16 Points: 12,494, Level: 16 Points: 12,494, Level: 16

Re: Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 04:46 PM

Just do what you want, dont listen to what they say.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Disneygirl94 Offline
I believe I Can Fly
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kaitlyn

Points: 10,666, Level: 15 Points: 10,666, Level: 15 Points: 10,666, Level: 15

Re: Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 05:15 PM

I agree with Melody, fighting and getting upset can lead to words that you do not mean to say and can lead to a bigger conflict. Your parents are just feeling that they will lose their son, their child to a girl, they are being protective just remember that when you go and talk to them. Best of LUck!

"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. "
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Parents and me dating - November 27th 2011, 05:35 PM

Having girls over for means the maturity to do so. When you get upset and angry with them for not allowing it, you're showing them that you aren't mature enough to have girls over. This leads to a bigger conflict which you should avoid. Right now, it's best to listen to what they have to say. They are allowing you to date, even though they think you're too young so just go along with what they say for now.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24

Re: Parents and me dating - November 28th 2011, 06:00 AM

I see where you are coming from and I can understand the frustration. Theres a few things I would like to talk about here.

First, dont always do thinks because others are doing it. You said that all 15 year olds are dating, and if you say that to you parents, then they will reply, Oh so if all 15 year olds jump of a bridge will you jump too? So saying something like that shows you are not mature.

Second, She sounds like a great girl, and thats the side you need to show your parents. 1 month, isnt that long and you need to remember that. I would SLOWLY try to get your parents use to her and show them that you respect her, and that you respect yourself and your parents by not doing something stupid. You have alot to prove with your parents, dont mess it up.

Third, I would try to get involved with your girlfriends parents as well. Meet them, and show them how RESPECTFUL you are. Getting to know her parents might make you a better talker to your own parents.

Lastly - Take everything slowly. EVERYTHING. The relationship, the trust building for your parents, and anything else. If you move to quick I will tell you right now you will have some problems.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
— Malala Yousafzai
Closed Thread