TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Online dating - April 3rd 2012, 10:29 PM

I'm just wondering what do you guys think of online dating? :| I'm considering signing up to a few sites. I asked my sister and she said not to as I'll probably attract weirdos. Thing is, it's 2012, online dating has become more popular, there are more genuine people on there than weirdos.

I find meeting new people kind of awkward and I find it a lot easier online. I'll talk to new people fine but finding someone to have a "date" with is next to impossible.

Plus, I'd kind of like to date a girl :| I don't know hardly any lesbians/bisexual girls.

Is it a bit desperate?

Edit: I have common sense with social networking sites I know how to spot a dodgy site.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Points: 53,926, Level: 33 Points: 53,926, Level: 33 Points: 53,926, Level: 33

Re: Online dating - April 4th 2012, 12:10 AM

I met my partner online (thanks, TH ). Although that was an accident, I don't see much of a difference? Last June I moved states, and though we're in separate towns weekdays (we go to different unis), we'll be living together in just a month.

With the Internet you have the chance to meet loads of people that live relatively close to you, people you might be unlikely to meet in your day-to-day life. It could be really advantageous for you, if anything. Obviously you're bright enough not to meet a randomer in a dark alley way. And, yeah, whatever... people can lie online. People can lie to your face, too--it's about common sense.

You're a grown up, and no I don't think it's desperate. Do what makes you feel good, eh?

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18

Re: Online dating - April 4th 2012, 12:23 AM

I don't see a problem with online dating at all. If you decide to try it, it will likely work best if you use it as just a secondary way of meeting prospective dating partners (meaning, not your sole means of socializing romantically). That way you aren't using it as any kind of social crutch and if you wind up meeting someone, you have other social experiences to talk about. You have an advantage in that you can filter through whoever you want, spend a lot of time getting to know about them before you meet (and perhaps build a level of comfort beforehand) and there is overall a lot less pressure on you.

Best of luck.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Online dating - April 4th 2012, 12:26 AM

I agree with Jessie. I think you're old enough to make that decision. I would recommend keeping your locational information quite private until you get to know somebody better, you know, Facebook friend them and Skype. Then you can plan more on meeting up. THere are a few free ones out there, I don't know details about one in the UK. But my Spanish teacher found her husband on Match.com, so it happens! Good luck in your love quest!

something burning?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Online dating - April 4th 2012, 11:21 AM

Thanks guys <333

In my head I'm still 15 so I'm wary with stuff like this I have to remember I'm 20 (nearly 21) and legal

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
Closed Thread