TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15

Is this normal for someone who has depression? - April 26th 2013, 12:05 PM

Ok,I realize,that I get annoyed really easy,& I snap really easy.

Also I try to bring people down,make them sad. Then it just cause them to become angry with me.

Also, I feel like at school, everyone hates me,that everyone is aganist

Still having suicidal thoughts, waking up having those thoughts,self harm.
Extremely depressed right now suicidal...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Is this normal for someone who has depression? - April 26th 2013, 01:16 PM

Hey there,

Anger is an issue for me as well, so I know first hand that trying to find a healthy outlet can be extremely difficult, but I think what helps me is trying to find ways to channel it that don't cause harm to yourself or those around you. I'm not sure how well this works to everyone else, or how well it will work to you, but sometimes, if I'm really angry, I take it out on inanimate objects so that I don't get hurt and nobody else gets hurt either. For example, when you feel like you're about to snap at someone, rip up some paper or scream into a pillow, maybe hit the pillow or something soft so that you can manage the 'snapping' without hurting someone. If this doesn't work, maybe try some calming methods, for example practice breathing when you're getting wound up. IF you breath in for 5 seconds, and out for 5 seconds, and repeat it, it will give your mind something to focus on instead of what has upset you. Also, it will regulate what is going on inside your body and hopefully calm you down a bit more.

These techniques can also work when you feel like you're going to upset people. I know it's easier to take the blame off of yourself and pin it to somebody else and bring them down with you, because it feels like you're not longer the centre of attention anymore, but it's really not a way to maintain relationships or make yourself feel better. Maybe instead of doing that, you can go and get some air or take some time away from the situation because that way, you'll have time to think things through before you do something to bring someone down with you. Maybe you can go for a walk or a run since exercise is supposed to be good for your mood.

I also know what it's like to feel like people hate you and are against you at school. At the start of my first year in sixth form, I had real problems fitting in because my friend was good friends with someone who I felt judged me a lot. When I told my friend, she didn't really understand, and we stopped talking for a while because she was angry at me. I found other friends during that time though who I could feel more confident around at that moment. Maybe readjusting your friendship group might help. For example, are there people who you've never really considered as friends before, for whatever reason, who you can maybe talk to and get to know a bit? MAybe someone who sits in the corner and doesn't really say much? I find those people are often the least judgemental people, who just get overlooked a lot. IT might be difficult, but it might also help you feel like you belong a bit. Other than that, talking to the people you feel are against you might also help. Although it didn't help straight away for me, after a while things turned out okay and now that friend I fell out with is one of my best friends. I think after explaining it to her, she finally understood, so maybe it will be useful here too.

These thoughts of suicide and self harm, how do you normally go about ignoring them? Are there techniques you've started using to help you a bit? IF you take a look here you'll find a list of SH alternatives which might also help when you feel suicidal. They're a good way to divert your attention away from the thoughts and to something more useful and positive. Go through them and see if any work, they wont all be useful but some will, it's just about trying them out.

Finally, if these thoughts are affecting you really badly, maybe consider talking to a professional. They're qualified to help people, such as yourself, deal with the thoughts and recover from what you're dealing with. It's a long process, and it's certainly not easy, but it's definitely worth it. You can get through this, I have no doubt about that, just keep fighting, okay?

Good luck and take care,
Hollie.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Is this normal for someone who has depression? - April 26th 2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungK9 View Post
Ok,I realize,that I get annoyed really easy,& I snap really easy.

Also I try to bring people down,make them sad. Then it just cause them to become angry with me.

Also, I feel like at school, everyone hates me,that everyone is aganist

Still having suicidal thoughts, waking up having those thoughts,self harm.
Extremely depressed right now suicidal...
Wow, Hollie made a really good and informative post

As Hollie said, I too also have a problem with anger. What you could do, is every time you get angry stop and think about what made you angry. If you know your triggers, it's easier to remove yourself from the situation or completely steer clear of them.

As far as bringing people down goes. I think that if you say something nice every time you're about to say something mean it could work.

That seems like a feeling of anxiety. I used to feel that way. If someone did as much as laugh I would think they were laughing at me The only thing I can think of for this subject is to just block them out. Its hard not to care what other people think, but they probably aren't laughing at you. I don't think they hate you, either. If you see someone acting badly towards you, maybe they had a bad day; maybe they're laughing at a text message or something. I'm not sure if you're being bullied but if you are, you should tell an adult.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15

Re: Is this normal for someone who has depression? - April 27th 2013, 02:03 AM

Thanks guys

I've also realized,I'm obsessed with death/suicide. I've realized I've been talking about it a lot too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Is this normal for someone who has depression? - April 27th 2013, 10:44 AM

Hey!

Hollie and Cassie gave some really amazing advice/information. So I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. I struggle with this as well with the anger problems. When I get anger problems, I'll punch a pillow so I don't hurt myself, then sometimes I try to get up and go for a walk to think everything over before I do something I'd regret. I find that when I get angry feelings, I start easing into becoming more conscious of what I'm doing. Realizing how strong my feelings are so I can remind myself that I can end up reacting much worse than what the situation actually is due to my anger.

Also, I keep a piece of paper and a pen with me a lot because I find that when I get angry, scribbling like mad on a piece of paper helps me vent.

As for your obsession with death/suicide - you've said that you have lots of suicidal thoughts, right? And depression. To me, I sorta did the same thing when I first started self-harming and when I did self-harm. I looked at pictures of self-harm, and thought about it a lot and just obsessed over it. I've never had suicidal thoughts so I can't be a lot of help, I just think it's common to obsess over something you're doing a lot or thinking about. It's rather unhealthy mentally though so I suggest you talk to the crisis team or a therapist about it.

Hope this helped.
Closed Thread