TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Colin

Points: 9,927, Level: 14 Points: 9,927, Level: 14 Points: 9,927, Level: 14

How do I know if I have depression? - January 22nd 2014, 02:25 PM

Well it says in the title what my question is ^^ i don't want to go to a doctor otherwise my mum would know it and i don't want to let her know if i have depression.. to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if i really do have depression but i just search for another method to know it without going to a doctor :/

Colin / 17 / Pre-op Trans-Guy
on T since 12/21/16

If you need someone to talk or if you have questions, feel free to PM or VM me.
I am always here!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Karen

Points: 10,137, Level: 14 Points: 10,137, Level: 14 Points: 10,137, Level: 14

Re: How do I know if I have depression? - January 22nd 2014, 10:15 PM

Hey there, Julia.

Truth to be told, symptoms of depression are quite hard to spot accurately if not diagnosed by a professional. However, there are some signs you can use as a quick indicator. Be mindful that these may be relative because only a doctor has the word to decide whether you are depressed or not.

The symptoms include constant feeling of numbness in your chest, clouded thinking, frequent sadness, and low self-esteem. You don't need to be hesitant about seeking professional help if it is for your well-being's sake. Opening up to your mum may be scary, but it could provide a great comfort.

I hope this is helpful

Love,
KW

Articles Team Member // Buddy (20/01/2014 - 30/08/2014) // Associate HLM // Article Editor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17

Re: How do I know if I have depression? - January 22nd 2014, 11:01 PM

We can't diagnose you over the internet, and self-diagnosis isn't always a good idea.

Since you're asking for help here, I can assume that things are serious, in which case I urge you to tell someone. If you don't feel like you can open up to your mom, try talking to a school counselor or trusted adult. Believe me, ignoring this will only make it worse. I hid my depression for a couple years, and recovery is that much harder since it's been going on for longer. Please don't wait to get help, you deserve to get better.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: How do I know if I have depression? - January 22nd 2014, 11:21 PM

Sadly, I think that the only way to really find out if you have depression or not is to speak a professional such as a doctor or a therapist, because they are the ones that are trained to diagnose it. You can't really find out through something like an online test or through someone who isn't a professional because they can't take your individual personality and needs into consideration when diagnosing you.

I agree with Elsa that you really should tell someone about this, because ignoring it will make it so much worse.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount12

Edit avatar

Re: How do I know if I have depression? - February 6th 2014, 03:38 AM

Hi, Julia!

As said above, we aren't professionals but I know you posted this hoping for a response to your question. Depression signs sometimes vary from person to person, but generally it's usually low self-esteem, self-harm, thoughts of suicide, feelings of hopelessness, feelings of sadness, emptiness or numbness. Physically, there's sometimes sudden weight changes, interference with sleep, headaches or body aches in various places.

If you think you might have depression, then I seriously suggest talking to someone about it. Trying to hide it will just make things worse for you, it'll make you feel more alone. I know it's hard opening up, but you deserve support and help too. It's okay to ask for that. If you don't feel you can talk with your mom, is there anyone else? Like the school guidance counselor, friends, your dad? You could write down how you're feeling if you want and give it to them in a note.

You can message me anytime if you need to talk.
Stay strong.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Mickal5 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,874, Level: 11 Points: 5,874, Level: 11 Points: 5,874, Level: 11

Re: How do I know if I have depression? - February 6th 2014, 10:18 AM

Dear i think it is better to share with your mom. It is not bad to tell anybody about your depression. It is normal.
Anxiety should be cure timely. Here are some tips for you:

Take proper sleep
Start exercise
Start diet plan
make friends and start believing people.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Mickal5 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,874, Level: 11 Points: 5,874, Level: 11 Points: 5,874, Level: 11

Re: How do I know if I have depression? - February 6th 2014, 10:19 AM

Dear i think it is better to share with your mom. It is not bad to tell anybody about your depression. It is normal.
Anxiety should be cure timely. Here are some tips for you:

Take proper sleep
Start exercise
Start diet plan
make friends and start believing people.
Closed Thread