TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Depression and suicide awareness - September 4th 2014, 02:15 AM

I'll get back to my other article later. I was thinking about this one for a while so I figured I'd work on it while I had some decent ideas. I don't really know what the title of this could be so I'm going to leave that blank for now. I don't have a conclusion yet either.

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression which is persistent sadness for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. A suicide intimately affects at least six people and that is one of the many reasons why it is so important for everyone to be educated for themselves and for the sake of those around them.

Myth: Depression isn’t serious; it’s only a phase.

Fact: Depression is very serious and it often affects all aspects of the sufferers’ life. Everyday tasks that used to be easy turn into tasks that require an unhealthy amount of effort and energy. Sufferers’ may begin to withdrawal from peers and discontinue hobbies that they previously enjoyed. Depression is more than feeling down, the feeling can be felt for consecutive months or even years.

Myth: Depression is not a true illness.

Fact: Many falsely believe that depression is due to weak traits of a person; some believe that sufferers’ are stuck in self-pity when in reality that is far from the truth. No-one chooses to be depressed. It is a complex disorder that emerges from environmental and psychological roots. Depression can be dangerous and it should be taken very seriously.

Myth: People who talk about suicide aren’t really serious.

Fact: People who are suicidal will often speak indirectly about their intentions. For example, they may joke about suicide in an attempt to cover up the seriousness of their situation. 70% of people who seek help have a plan and dangerous intentions.

Myth: People who commit suicide show no warning signs.

Fact: It is rare for someone to take their life before telling making someone aware of how they’re feeling. Eight out of ten people do make someone aware before they commit suicide. Most signs of suicide such as withdrawal and loss of interest in activities go unnoticed; but they do exist.

Myth: Speaking to someone about suicide may plant the idea in their head influence an attempt.

Fact: Talking to someone about suicide is one of the best actions that can be taken. Chances are, the person has already considered suicide as an option and has mixed feelings regarding it. Talking to someone about suicide may give them a chance to receive advice and reassurance as well as a chance to feel some relief. The majority of people will be honest about their intentions when they are questioned directly.

Myth: Nothing can be done for those who are set on suicide.

Fact: Most suicidal people don’t actually want to die; they just want the pain to stop. People who are suicidal are usually unsure about whether they want to live or die. Support from a professional or a friend can be an amazing resource for someone going through a rough time. Helping someone work through their feelings may show them that life is worth living after all.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - September 8th 2014, 03:29 PM

This is a really good articles Cassie! You could call it something like "Debunking the myths of depression and suicide".
I've put all the "myth:" and "fact:" in bold, so they can be seen clearer. Here are my edits for your article:

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression which is persistent sadness for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. A suicide intimately affects at least six people and that is one of the many reasons why it is so important for everyone to be educated for themselves and for the sakebenefit of those around them.

Myth: Depression isn't serious; it’s only a phase.

Fact: Depression is very serious and it often affects all aspects of the sufferers’ life. Everyday tasks that used to be easy, turn into tasks that require an unhealthy amount of effort and energy. Sufferers’ may begin to withdrawal from peers and discontinue hobbies that they previously enjoyed. Depression is more than feeling down, the feeling can be felt for consecutive months or even years.

Fact: Many people falsely believe that depression is due to weak traits of a person; some believe that sufferers’ are stuck in self-pity when in reality that is far from the truth. No-one chooses to be depressed. It is a complex disorder that emerges from environmental and psychological roots. Depression can be dangerous and it should be taken very seriously.

Myth: People who talk about suicide aren’t really serious. [Jenny: You could also talk about people who talk about suicide are thought to be attention seeking.]

Fact: People who are suicidal will often speak indirectly about their intentions. For example, they may joke about suicide in an attempt to cover up the seriousness of their situation. 70% of people who seek help have a plan and dangerous intentions.

Fact: It is rare for someone to take their life before telling making someone aware of how they’re feeling. Eight out of ten people do make someone aware before they commit suicide. Most signs of suicide such as withdrawal and loss of interest in activities which may go unnoticed; but they do exist. [Jenny: Maybe you could list some of the main symptoms of depression here.]

Myth: Speaking to someone about suicide may plant the idea in their head or help influence an attempt.

Fact: Talking to someone about suicide is one of the best actions that can be taken. Chances are, the person has already considered suicide as an option and has mixed feelings regarding it. Talking to someone about suicide may give them a chance to receive advice and reassurance as well as a chance to feel some relief. The majority of people will be honest about their intentions when they are questioned directly. However, it is important to remember that not everyone will want to talk about their feelings.

Myth: Nothing can be done for those who are set on suicide or have a suicide plan.

Fact: Most suicidal people don’t actually want to die; they just want the pain to stop. People who are suicidal are usually unsure about whether they want to live or die. Support from a professional or a friend or family member can be an amazing resource for someone going through a rough time. Helping someone work through their feelings may show them that life is worth living after all.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - September 9th 2014, 12:15 AM

Thanks for taking a look at it! Hm, what about "Disproving or "Falsifying"? Or "Depression and Suicide: Fact vs. Myth".

Depression and Suicide: Fact vs. Myth
by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression which is persistent sadness for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. A suicide intimately affects at least six people and that is one of the many reasons why it is so important for everyone to be educated for themselves and for the benefit of those around them.

Fact: Depression is very serious and it often affects all aspects of the sufferers’ life. Everyday tasks that used to be easy, turn into tasks that require an unhealthy amount of effort and energy. Sufferers’ may begin to withdrawal from peers and discontinue hobbies that they previously enjoyed. Depression is more than feeling down, the feeling can be felt for consecutive months or even years.

Fact: Many people falsely believe that depression is due to weak traits of a person; some believe that sufferers’ are stuck in self-pity when in reality that is far from the truth. No-one chooses to be depressed. It is a complex disorder that emerges from environmental and psychological roots. Depression can be dangerous and should be taken very seriously.

Myth: People who talk about suicide aren’t really serious. Those who verbalize suicidal thoughts are just looking for attention.

Fact: People who are suicidal will often speak indirectly about their intentions. For example, they may joke about suicide in an attempt to cover up the seriousness of their situation. 70% of people who seek help have a plan and dangerous intentions. Additionally, those who express thoughts about wanting to take their lives are in need of immediate help. It takes a lot of courage for someone to verbalize these thoughts and any threats should be taken seriously.

Fact: It is rare for someone to take their life before making someone aware of how they’re feeling. Eight out of ten people do make someone aware before they commit suicide. Most signs of suicide such as withdrawal and loss of interest in activities may go unnoticed. Other signs include talking about death or feeling hopeless, engaging in risky behaviors, putting affairs in order or giving away possessions, and a sudden calm demeanor.

Myth: Speaking to someone about suicide may plant the idea in their head or influence an attempt.

Fact: Talking to someone about suicide is one of the best actions that can be taken. Chances are, the person has already considered suicide as an option and has mixed feelings regarding it. Talking to someone about suicide may give them a chance to receive advice and reassurance as well as a chance to feel some relief. The majority of people will be honest about their intentions when they are questioned directly. However, it is important to remember that not everyone will want to talk about their feelings.

Myth: Nothing can be done for those who are set on suicide or who have a suicide plan.

Fact: Suicide is 100% preventable. Most suicidal people don’t actually want to die; they just want the pain to stop. People who are suicidal are usually unsure about whether they want to live or die. Support from a professional, a friend or family member can be an amazing resource for someone going through a rough time. Helping someone work through their feelings may show them that life is worth living after all. If you or someone you know is in danger, confide in someone you trust to ensure safety. This list of hotlines is a great reference for anyone in crisis.

Last edited by hocus pocus; September 10th 2014 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Adding hotlines.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - September 9th 2014, 12:22 AM

I do like the title "Depression and Suicide: Fact vs. Myth."

I think the sentence you marked in orange should be fine.

Perhaps in the last myth, you can also mention something about if you think someone is in immediate danger, you should tell someone to ensure their safety?

Sorry that I don't have many other suggestions for you.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - September 9th 2014, 12:29 AM

That's alright, thanks for reading it, though! I was actually thinking of linking the hotlines - what do you think about that?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - September 9th 2014, 04:35 PM

I think that would be a good idea, then they know where they can go to get help.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - September 10th 2014, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I edited the last myth and added the hotlines.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - October 6th 2014, 12:50 AM

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression,one of the most common mental illnesses, which and is a persistent state of sadness that lasts for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. A suicide intimately affects at least six people [Six out of how many? You'd want to clarify this, otherwise it sounds like you're saying only 6 people on Earth get depression.] and that is one of the many reasons why it is so important for everyone to be educated for to benefit themselves and for the sake of those around them.

Fact: Depression is very serious and it often affects all aspects of the sufferers’ life. Everyday tasks that used to be easy turn into tasks that require an unhealthy increased amount of effort and energy. Sufferers’ may begin to withdrawal from peers friends and family and discontinue hobbies that they previously enjoyed. Depression is more than feeling down, the feeling can be felt for consecutive months or even years.

Fact: Many falsely believe that depression is due to weak traits of a person; some believe that sufferers’ are stuck in self-pity when in reality that is far from the truth. No-one [Leave a space in-between these words instead of a hyphen.] chooses to be depressed. It is a complex disorder that emerges from environmental and psychological roots. Depression can be dangerous and it should be taken very seriously.

Fact: People who are suicidal will often speak indirectly about their intentions. For example, they may joke about suicide in an attempt to cover up the seriousness of their situation. 70% of people who seek help have a plan and dangerous intentions. If anyone you know speaks about their depression or how low their mood is, never take it lightly. Always encourage them to reach out for help.

Fact: It is rare for someone to take their life before telling making someone aware of how they’re feeling. Eight out of ten people do make someone aware before they commit suicide. Most signs of suicide such as withdrawal and loss of interest in activities go unnoticed; but they do exist. Sufferers may also talk about death or partake in dangerous behavior, such as speeding wen driving or substance abuse.

Myth: Speaking to someone about suicide may plant the idea in their head influence an attempt.

Fact: Talking to someone about suicide is one of the best actions that can be taken. Chances are, the person has already considered suicide as an option and has mixed feelings regarding it. Talking to someone about suicide may give them a chance to receive advice and reassurance that someone cares, as well as a chance to feel some relief. The majority of people will be honest about their intentions when they are questioned directly.

Fact: Most suicidal people don’t actually want to die; they just want the pain to stop. People who are suicidal are usually unsure about whether they want to live or die. Support from a professional or a friend can be an amazing resource for someone going through a rough time. Helping someone work through their feelings may show them that life is worth living after all.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - October 6th 2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the edits, Nicole.

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression, one of the most common mental illnesses, and is a persistent state of sadness that lasts for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. Six people are intimately affected by the suicide of another person [Six out of how many? You'd want to clarify this, otherwise it sounds like you're saying only 6 people on Earth get depression.] [Cassie: Reworded that. Any better?] and that is one of the many reasons why it is so important for everyone to be educated to benefit themselves and those around them.

Fact: Depression is very serious and it often affects all aspects of the sufferers’ life. Everyday tasks that used to be easy turn into tasks that require an increased amount of effort and energy. Sufferers’ may begin to withdrawal from friends and family and discontinue hobbies that they previously enjoyed. Depression is more than feeling down, the feeling can be felt for consecutive months or even years.

Fact: Many falsely believe that depression is due to weak traits of a person; some believe that sufferers’ are stuck in self-pity when in reality that is far from the truth. Noone chooses to be depressed. It is a complex disorder that emerges from environmental and psychological roots. Depression can be dangerous and it should be taken very seriously.

Fact: People who are suicidal will often speak indirectly about their intentions. For example, they may joke about suicide in an attempt to cover up the seriousness of their situation. 70% of people who seek help have a plan and dangerous intentions. If anyone you know speaks about their depression or how low their mood is, never take it lightly. Always encourage them to reach out for help.

Fact: It is rare for someone to take their life before telling making someone aware of how they’re feeling. Eight out of ten people do make someone aware before they commit suicide. Most signs of suicide such as withdrawal and loss of interest in activities go unnoticed; but they do exist. Sufferers may also talk about death or partake in dangerous behavior, such as speeding when driving or substance abuse.

Myth: Speaking to someone about suicide may plant the idea in their head and influence an attempt.

Fact: Talking to someone about suicide is one of the best actions that can be taken. Chances are, the person has already considered suicide as an option and has mixed feelings regarding it. Talking to someone about suicide may give them a chance to receive advice and reassurance that someone cares, as well as a chance to feel some relief. The majority of people will be honest about their intentions when they are questioned directly.

Fact: Most suicidal people don’t actually want to die; they just want the pain to stop. People who are suicidal are usually unsure about whether they want to live or die. Support from a professional or a friend can be an amazing resource for someone going through a rough time. Helping someone work through their feelings may show them that life is worth living after all. This list of hotlines is a great reference for anyone in crisis.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - October 6th 2014, 08:27 PM

I've only got a few edits for this. Here are some ideas about a few extra myths you can add:
  • Teenagers are more at risk of committing suicide
  • If you have depression, you will have to be on anti-depressants all of your life
  • Depression will go away by itself
  • You are mentally ill if you think about suicide
  • People who commit suicide are just attention seeking
  • All suicidal people want to die (Although you mentioned this briefly in the last myth)

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression, one of the most common mental illnesses, and is a persistent state of sadness that lasts for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. Six people are intimately affected by the suicide of another person [Six out of how many? You'd want to clarify this, otherwise it sounds like you're saying only 6 people on Earth get depression.] [Cassie: Reworded that. Any better?][Jenny: I think the way you have reworded it is better, but you still need to say six out of however many people in the fact. But if you can't find how many out of six, you could always take out that fact as you already have a couple of facts in the introduction.and that is one of the many reasons why it is so important for everyone to be educated to benefit themselves and those around them.

Fact: Depression is very serious and it often affects all aspects of the sufferers’ life. Everyday tasks that used to be easy turn into tasks that require an increased amount of effort and energy. Sufferers’ may begin to withdrawal from friends and family and discontinue hobbies that they previously enjoyed. Depression is more than feeling down, the feeling can be felt for consecutive months or even years.

Fact: Many falsely believe that depression is due to weak traits of a person; some believe that sufferers’ are stuck in self-pity when in reality that is far from the truth. No one chooses to be depressed. It is a complex disorder that emerges from environmental and psychological roots. Depression can be dangerous and it should be taken very seriously.

Myth: People who talk about suicide aren't really serious.

Fact: People who are suicidal will often speak indirectly about their intentions. For example, they may joke about suicide in an attempt to cover up the seriousness of their situation. 70% of people who seek help have a plan and dangerous intentions. If anyone you know speaks about their depression or how low their mood is, never take it lightly. Instead take the situation seriously and help to support the person and Aalways encourage them to reach out for help.

Fact: It is rare for someone to take their life before telling making someone aware of how they’re feeling. Eight out of ten people do make someone aware before they commit suicide. There are Mostmany signs of suicide or suicidal thoughts such as withdrawal and loss of interest in activities which may go unnoticed; but theyse signs do exist. Sufferers may also talk about death or partake in dangerous behavior, such as speeding when driving or substance abuse.

Myth: Speaking to someone about suicide may plant the idea in their head and influence an attempt.

Fact: Most suicidal people don’t actually want to die; they just want the pain to stop. People who are suicidal are usually unsure about whether they want to live or die. Support from a professional or a friend can be an amazing resource for someone going through a rough time. Helping someone work through their feelings may show them that life is worth living after all. This list of hotlines is a great reference for anyone in crisis.[/quote]

(#11 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - October 6th 2014, 09:52 PM

All that I can find is that on six people on average experience intense grief for every suicide. It would probably depend on the amount of people that the person knew so I'll remove it I guess. I'll add some of the myths as well.

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression, one of the most common mental illnesses, and is a persistent state of sadness that lasts for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. It is so important for everyone to be educated to benefit themselves and those around them.

Fact: Many falsely believe that depression is due to weak traits of a person; some believe that sufferers’ are stuck in self-pity when in reality that is far from the truth. No one chooses to be depressed. It is a complex disorder that emerges from environmental and psychological roots. Depression can be dangerous and it should be taken very seriously.

Myth: Depression will go away on its own.

Fact: Untreated depression can prolong symptoms as well as increase the risk of suicide.

Myth: People with depression remain on anti-depressants for their entire lives.

Fact: Anti-depressants are just one of the many ways to treat depression. Depression can be treated with medication, therapy, or a combination of both. A professional can help discontinue the use of medication at any time if they feel as though it is best for the patient.

Fact: People who are suicidal will often speak indirectly about their intentions. For example, they may joke about suicide in an attempt to cover up the seriousness of their situation. 70% of people who seek help have a plan and dangerous intentions. If anyone you know speaks about their depression or how low their mood is, never take it lightly. Take the situation seriously, help to support the person and always encourage them to reach out for help.

Myth: Teenagers are at a higher risk of attempting or committing suicide.

Fact: The risk of suicide can vary greatly between age, race, and gender. Women are more likely to attempt suicide; however, men are more likely to complete a suicide. Although suicide is the third leading cause of death in adolescents, they have the lowest risk. Those who are elderly have increased depression that is either untreated or undiagnosed; thus, the elderly are more at risk. [Cassie: I want to add something here about the causes of their depression (loss of a spouse, etc) and I also want to talk about how adults are more likely than teens to plan their deaths but I don't know how to word it or where to add it.]

Fact: It is rare for someone to take their life before telling someone about how they’re feeling. Eight out of ten people do make someone aware before they commit suicide. There are many signs of suicide or suicidal thoughts such as withdrawal and loss of interest in activities which may go unnoticed; but these signs do exist. Sufferers may also talk about death or partake in dangerous behavior, such as speeding when driving or substance abuse.

Fact: Most suicidal people don’t actually want to die; they just want the pain to stop. People who are suicidal are usually unsure about whether they want to live or die. Support from a professional or a friend can be an amazing resource for someone going through a rough time. Helping someone work through their feelings may show them that life is worth living after all. This list of hotlines is a great reference for anyone in crisis.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - October 7th 2014, 12:19 AM

Oh, both Jenny and I were reading it as 6 out of ___ people get suicidal, but now I see what you were writing is that about 6 people who were close to the person who committed suicide feel a lot of grief, correct? If so, you could write something like "On average, there will be about 6 people who are close to the victim of suicide that feel an immense amount of grief" or something like that. I think that would help clarify the point you're getting across.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - October 12th 2014, 03:17 PM

This is a really good article. It still needs a conclusion, if you need any help writing it them let me know.

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression, one of the most common mental illnesses, and is a persistent state of sadness that lasts for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. It is so important for everyone to be educated to benefit themselves and those around them.

Fact: Untreated depression can prolong symptoms as well as increase the risk of suicide. In most cases, depression won't go away on its own and depression can stay for weeks, months and sometimes even years. Depression can sometimes go away on its own, however it can come back in the future.

Fact: Anti-depressants are just one of the many ways to treat depression. Depression can be treated with medication, therapy, or a combination of both. A professional can help discontinue the use of medication at any time if they feel as though it is best for the patient.

Fact: People who are suicidal will often speak indirectly about their intentions. For example, they may joke about suicide in an attempt to cover up the seriousness of their situation. 70% of people who seek help have a plan and dangerous intentions. If anyone you know speaks about their depression or how low their mood is, never take it lightly. Take the situation seriously, help to support the person and always encourage them to reach out for help.

Fact: The risk of suicide can vary greatly between age, race, and gender. Women are more likely to attempt suicide; however, men are more likely to complete a suicide. Although suicide is the third leading cause of death in adolescents, they have the lowest risk. Those who are elderly have increased depression that is either untreated or undiagnosed; thus, the elderly are more at risk. Adults are more likely than teenagers to plan a suicide attempt or to plan their deaths. [Jenny: Do you have a fact which you could use to back this up?]

Fact: It is rare for someone to take their life before telling someone about how they’re feeling. Eight out of ten people do make someone aware before they commit suicide. There are many signs of suicide or suicidal thoughts such as withdrawal and loss of interest in activities which may go unnoticed; but these signs do exist. Sufferers may also talk about death or partake in dangerous behavior, such as speeding when driving or substance abuse.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - October 14th 2014, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the edits - I added that fact back and added a little more to the one myth. I'm stuck as far as a conclusion goes, so any suggestions are welcome.

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression, one of the most common mental illnesses, and is a persistent state of sadness that lasts for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives.On average, six people feel intense grief after the suicide of someone they knew. It is so important for everyone to be educated to benefit themselves and those around them.

Fact: Untreated depression can prolong symptoms as well as increase the risk of suicide. In most cases, depression won't go away on its own and depression can stay for weeks, months and sometimes even years. If depression does go away by itself, however, it is more likely to appear in the future.

Fact: The risk of suicide can vary greatly between age, race, and gender. Women are more likely to attempt suicide; however, men are more likely to complete a suicide. Although suicide is the third leading cause of death in adolescents, they have the lowest risk. Those who are elderly have increased depression that is either untreated or undiagnosed; thus, the elderly are more at risk. Adults are more likely than teenagers to plan a suicide attempt or to plan their deaths. [Jenny: Do you have a fact which you could use to back this up?] [Cassie: I lost the page I was looking at to cite/back it up. Should I just remove it?]

(#15 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - October 15th 2014, 02:33 PM

Have you thought about changing the title to "Debunking the myths of depression and suicide"?

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression, one of the most common mental illnesses, and is a persistent state of sadness that lasts for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. On average, six people feel intense grief after the suicide of someone that they knew. It is so important for everyone to be educated to benefit themselves and those around them.

Fact: Untreated depression can prolong symptoms as well as increase the risk of suicide. In most cases, depression won't go away on its own and depression can stay for weeks, months and sometimes even years. If depression does go away by itself, however, it is more likely to appear in the future.

Fact: The risk of suicide can vary greatly between age, race, and gender. Women are more likely to attempt suicide; however, men are more likely to complete a suicide. Although suicide is the third leading cause of death in adolescents, they have the lowest risk. Those who are elderly have increased depression that is either untreated or undiagnosed; thus, the elderly are more at risk. Adults are more likely than teenagers to plan a suicide attempt or to plan their deaths. [Jenny: Do you have a fact which you could use to back this up?] [Cassie: I lost the page I was looking at to cite/back it up. Should I just remove it?][Jenny: I think it would be best to remove it if you can't find the fact. Have you tried looking through your internet history?

Myth: Nothing can be done to help for those who are set on suicide.

Depression and suicide are both very serious, and should never be taken lightly. Those who are depressed or considering suicide need to be given support and advice, and not to be judged. The hotlines page, is a great reference for anyone in crisis and needing support.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - October 15th 2014, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I have, but I like this title for some reason. Thanks for the suggestions! I removed the fact that I lost the back-up for (I think it looks better without it anyway) and I put in the conclusion.

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Approximately every 13.3 minutes, someone commits suicide [source]. Suicide is the act of killing oneself and it is strongly associated with depression, one of the most common mental illnesses, and is a persistent state of sadness that lasts for more than two weeks. Depression and suicide can affect anyone of any age, race, gender, or background. This year alone, it is estimated that 30,000 Americans will take their lives. On average, six people feel intense grief after the suicide of someone that they knew. It is so important for everyone to be educated to benefit themselves and those around them.

Fact: The risk of suicide can vary greatly between age, race, and gender. Women are more likely to attempt suicide; however, men are more likely to complete a suicide. Although suicide is the third leading cause of death in adolescents, they have the lowest risk. Those who are elderly have increased depression that is either untreated or undiagnosed; thus, the elderly are more at risk.

Myth: Nothing can be done to help those who are set on suicide.

Depression and suicide are both serious and should be treated as such. Anyone who is depressed or considering suicide need support during that difficult time in their life. The hotlines page, is a great reference for anyone in crisis and needing support.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Name: Haley
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 43,522, Level: 30 Points: 43,522, Level: 30 Points: 43,522, Level: 30

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - November 10th 2014, 09:19 PM

This is brilliant, Cassie!
I just have a few minor edits below.

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Fact: Depression is very serious and it often affects all aspects of the sufferers’ life. Everyday tasks that used to be easy turn into tasks that require an increased amount of effort and energy. Sufferers may begin to withdrawal from friends and family and discontinue hobbies that they previously enjoyed. Depression is more than feeling down, the feeling can be felt for consecutive months or even years.

Fact: Many falsely believe that depression is due to weak traits of a person; some believe that sufferers are stuck in self-pity when in reality that is far from the truth. No one chooses to be depressed. It is a complex disorder that emerges from environmental and psychological roots. Depression can be dangerous and it should be taken very seriously.

Fact: Untreated depression can prolong symptoms as well as increase the risk of suicide. In most cases, depression won't go away on its own and depression can stay for weeks, months and sometimes even years. If depression does go away by itself, however, it is more likely to reappear in the future.

Fact: The risk of suicide can vary greatly between age, race, and gender. Women are more likely to attempt suicide; however, men are more likely to complete a suicide. Although suicide is the third leading cause of death in adolescents, they have the lowest risk. Those who are elderly have increased depression that is either untreated or undiagnosed; thus, the elderly are more at risk.

Depression and suicide are both serious and should be treated as such. Anyone who is depressed or considering suicide need support during that difficult time in their life. The hotlines page, is a great reference for anyone in crisis and needing support.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - November 11th 2014, 03:20 AM

Thanks Haley! I applied them.

by Cassie (Cassiopeia.)

Fact: Depression is very serious and it often affects all aspects of the sufferers' life. Everyday tasks that used to be easy turn into tasks that require an increased amount of effort and energy. Sufferers may begin to withdraw from friends and family and discontinue hobbies that they previously enjoyed. Depression is more than feeling down, the feeling can be felt for consecutive months or even years.

Fact: Many falsely believe that depression is due to weak traits of a person; some believe that sufferers are stuck in self-pity when in reality that is far from the truth. No one chooses to be depressed. It is a complex disorder that emerges from environmental and psychological roots. Depression can be dangerous and it should be taken very seriously.

Fact: Untreated depression can prolong symptoms as well as increase the risk of suicide. In most cases, depression won't go away on its own and depression can stay for weeks, months and sometimes even years. If depression does go away by itself, however, it is more likely to reappear in the future.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Name: Haley
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 43,522, Level: 30 Points: 43,522, Level: 30 Points: 43,522, Level: 30

Re: Depression and suicide awareness - December 4th 2014, 04:22 AM