TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
into creation x Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 11,558, Level: 15 Points: 11,558, Level: 15 Points: 11,558, Level: 15

Can you ever truly get over depression... for good? - November 19th 2015, 09:59 PM

I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago with depression and anxiety although it's been on and off since and even prior to being diagnosed.

How many years is it going to take to be really free of mental health troubles?

I don't really have anything else to say. I'd just like to hear others stories of being free of them and how long did it take?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Can you ever truly get over depression... for good? - November 19th 2015, 11:10 PM

In my personal opinion a person can't 'get over' depression, but things can get easier over the course of time and depending on what steps that person takes to help reduce its effects.

I've suffered depression since I was 11, I'm now 24 and it's still here but it's certainly a lot better than it used to be.

I used to suffer depression so severely I would often contemplate suicide to the point I even began attempting on several occasions where I eventually ended up in hospital and had to be referred to a counsellor. Cutting a long story short, I spent a lot of my time working towards improving how I felt. There are times when I feel really down in the dumps, where I feel like I wonder what I'm doing, but it's certainly no where near as bad as it used to be because of the steps I've taken to help myself.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Can you ever truly get over depression... for good? - November 20th 2015, 02:04 AM

I think that you can really beat depression.

I too used to go through it, but i remembered that there are so many things i could do, so many lives i could change, and so many experiences for me to go through. I got into as many things as possible in order to add variety into my world, and it seems to have worked because i'm now in a much better place. Also, i think that how you beat it , overcome it or surpass the problem depends on your mindset. If you stay strong and think positively, i'm extremely sure that depression is something you can beat.

Plenty of people have overcome it and so can you. It might even take just a year or two to beat it completely, and things will be much better then

If you need any advice or help, i'll be around to help you . Pm me anytime!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Points: 13,395, Level: 16 Points: 13,395, Level: 16 Points: 13,395, Level: 16

Re: Can you ever truly get over depression... for good? - November 25th 2015, 06:23 AM

I first felt suicidal when I was 8 years old. I'm now 19, and just now starting to figure out what to do. Medication has really helped me, but of course I still hit those 'triggers' that send me into 'crazy depressed' mode.

But while it doesn't go away, it gets SO much easier. I used to think that was a total lie, but it isn't. You will eventually figure out your body, figure out your brain, figure out why you think the way that you think, and therefore figure out what kind of help that would benefit you the most. I was at my breaking point after year 10 and I was like 'it's been so long there is NO way that it will get better' but it seriously does. I still get the anxiety but I've learned how to calm it down. It used to be so bad that I couldn't eat, but now I know how to tell myself that it isn't real.

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--
Closed Thread