TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Special Agent Offline
Lead Moderator

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Junior

Points: 16,141, Level: 18 Points: 16,141, Level: 18 Points: 16,141, Level: 18

Feeling down... - April 5th 2021, 07:29 PM

Hi-

It feels weird posting because I am usually the one offering help rather than asking for it. I have a habit of keeping things to myself because I don't want others to know that I am hurting but recently I have fallen into a bit of a downward spiral. My job that I have been doing for 3-4 years now is really starting to weigh on me I used to like this job but now I cannot stand it. I hate going to work everyday. I am working my way to changing careers but its still a struggle to be motivated to go to work for a company that treats me like shit and doesn't give a fuck.

I don't know just feeling really shitty.

-Jr.

"your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."

-Nido Qubein

Lead Moderator
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Feeling down... - April 5th 2021, 11:03 PM

Hey.

I'm sorry that you're hurting so much and that your job is making this harder for you. I'm in a very similar position so I understand how difficult it is to get up, feel motivated and positive and carry on when you're in a situation which makes you feel under valued and unhappy. Feelingas you do sounds completely valid.

Depending on your circumstances, is there a way you can reduce your hours in your current job? This might not be possible, but if it is it might be something to consider just while you are looking for work elsewhere. That way, although you are still working there, you're spending less time in an environment which upsets you.

Alternatively, if this isn't possible, I recommend trying to find a balance when you're not at work. For example, make sure you find time to properly switch off. Turn off your work chats on your phone so you're not being bothered by stress-inducing messages, leave your work at work, and just detach yourself from that when you're not there.

When you do have to be mentally present, try to find small things that make the job worth doing. For me, I feel very similar in that the company I work for pay me very little, expect far too much, and treat me like I don't matter and could be replaced instantly. But, working in customer service, I get the opportunity every now and then to make someone I don't know feel good by being nice to them, offering them a good experience, or doing something like giving a discount to someone in need when I'm able. Is there something you could focus on beyond the company which brings you pride in what YOU can do, not what the company wants you to do necessarily? Sometimes small positives can at the very least give you a small sense of personal satisfaction, that even if you know this isnt where you want to be and you don't feel appreciated, at least there are small things you're doing which, in the larger scheme of things, make a small difference.

I would also recommend looking into employee support schemes. For example, do you have access to occupational health or employee mental health services? If you do, perhaps you could utilize these so you have a place to express your feelings. This way, it might just help you to not feel alone. Similarly, if you have a colleague who you trust and can open up to a bit, perhaps you could do this. I have found when I feel negatively about something at work, most often there is someone, if not more than one person, who shares my feelings. It helps to feel validated and supported with things like this.

I hope this has helped a bit. As I say, I feel a lot of what you're saying here and I know it's a hard situation to be in because it's a kind of limbo at times. Know that it won't always be like this, and that work doesn't have to be your life. Separate it from your down-time, and when you are there, try and find small moments of positivity if you can. If you want to talk or anything you can always message me.

Hang in there.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chin up, buttercup.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emery

Points: 8,016, Level: 13 Points: 8,016, Level: 13 Points: 8,016, Level: 13

Re: Feeling down... - April 6th 2021, 04:45 AM

Hi there,

First off, I want you to know that it’s completely okay, and normal even, to feel what you’re feeling. You are brave for posting here and reaching out. I’m proud of you.

I’m not in the best position to give the greatest advice, but I do want you to know I care about you and I’ll leave you with this—you deserve kindness. Try to breathe in and out, as slowly, deliberately, and deeply as possible. Hug yourself tightly. You are here, you are valued, you are present. And things will improve.

Take care of yourself, friend. I hope this gives you a little encouragement and helps you to feel better (even if just for a moment).

I love you to the moon and back.

Darling you are the only exception. ~Paramore ♡
Closed Thread