TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26

Mood Dips and Anxiety increases during the weekend - January 28th 2024, 01:30 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

[SIZE="a"]I am attending an intensive outpatient program during the week. There is a minimum requirement to attend my registered groups/1:1 appointments but I also I have the ability to drop-in if I need more support. However right now I notice I struggle the most when it is the weekend and I will have a to-do list that includes errands but I will procrastinate on those tasks and I think it is because I'm afraid to finish it and still have half a day left and then I will be bored and like "now what?" so I kind of not even start until the pressure to finish is on and I don't get through everything. This is a cycle that goes way back to my early elementary school years. I developed this out of fear of being bored mainly because as a kid we rely on our caregivers to help us when we are bored but I was not supported in that so I developed these behaviors to avoid having to be bored and work through it.

This is something that fuels my depression and anxiety though. I know there is value in some amount of boredom and not being busy all the time but I think having a little more structure around interest-based activities can help.

I can get into a flow of running errands but it is like I can't function unless I have a few steps ahead planned out. Otherwise my anxiety gets so high and I do aimless wandering procrastination and avoidance behaviors all day long.

I feel like it isn't talked about enough, how to figure out a flow or leisure and recreational or self-directed interests. Because you'd think humans innately know these things and find the less interesting tasks the hard part. For me if it doesn't feel smoothe in a systematic format, it is like my brain glitches and I can't even do things I enjoy that require a higher level cognitive labor. I end up watching tv or scrolling on the internet or just like no energy and sleep a lot more.
I can maintain a well organized system but creating one out of scratch is overwhelming.[/size]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42

Re: Mood Dips and Anxiety increases during the weekend - January 28th 2024, 07:16 AM

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear what you are currently experiencing.
I experience something similar to you. I know what errands I have to do for the day but have no motivation or energy to complete them. I then get more stressed as time goes on when I'm just watching TV or playing a game when I should be completing those tasks.
I often complete a task, reward myself with giving myself 10 minutes to play a game or to do something I enjoy and go back to completing my errands. It really is hard at times for me to do this but I think about the stress I would feel later on if I didn't do anything and I continue on as it is something I wish to avoid.
I hope this helped.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26

Re: Mood Dips and Anxiety increases during the weekend - January 28th 2024, 09:32 PM

[SIZE="a"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn. View Post
Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear what you are currently experiencing.
I experience something similar to you. I know what errands I have to do for the day but have no motivation or energy to complete them. I then get more stressed as time goes on when I'm just watching TV or playing a game when I should be completing those tasks.
I often complete a task, reward myself with giving myself 10 minutes to play a game or to do something I enjoy and go back to completing my errands. It really is hard at times for me to do this but I think about the stress I would feel later on if I didn't do anything and I continue on as it is something I wish to avoid.
I hope this helped.
Thank you so much, this was helpful. I need a bwtter system than buying myself rewards or allowing myself to indulge in a TV show. I feel like the switching gears makes something weird happen where I don't want to go back to doing more work. It seems this dip in mood happens even with a reward.

I've gotten curious about the "body doubling" as I have found that to help in the past. So maybe I can look into this.[/size]
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,379, Level: 47 Points: 109,379, Level: 47 Points: 109,379, Level: 47

Re: Mood Dips and Anxiety increases during the weekend - January 30th 2024, 01:19 AM

I'm so sorry about everything you are going through and I really hope that you will be okay soon. Sending you lots of to help you to feel better.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Name: Haley
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 43,605, Level: 30 Points: 43,605, Level: 30 Points: 43,605, Level: 30

Re: Mood Dips and Anxiety increases during the weekend - February 3rd 2024, 05:36 PM

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing mood dips and increased anxiety during the weekends. While weekends can often be a welcome break from the usual weekday routine, it can be helpful to maintain some level of structure and routine. Perhaps you could identify one or two activities that you genuinely enjoy and plan a simple routine around these activities so you have enough to keep yourself engaged.

Perhaps you could also consider making a timetable. Creating a schedule helps to compartmentalise chores so you know what you need to do at a given time without thinking about it, a bit like being on autopilot. This kind of structured approach also reduces the need for constant decision-making, which in turn can help to reduce mental fatigue. You could also try adding a mindfulness activity, such as deep breathing, before starting an errand or leisure activity to make it easier to switch gears; this can help to create a clear distinction and mental shift between each activity. Is there anyone at the intensive outpatient program who could help you to create a weekend plan?

One strategy that I find helpful is adding a small task to an already established habit to make it easier to integrate new tasks into my daily routine. I believe it's called 'habit stacking'. I've found this useful when trying to add more self-care into my routine, something as simple as remembering to moisturise, but you can use this technique for anything.

Body doubling sounds like a good idea. Having someone present, whether physically or virtually, can help with focus and motivation. Remember that motivation can fluctuate a lot so start small and focus on progress rather than perfection. It might take some time to discover what method works best for you, so be kind to yourself along the way.

All the best,
Haley
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42

Re: Mood Dips and Anxiety increases during the weekend - February 4th 2024, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH Anonymous View Post
[SIZE="a"]

Thank you so much, this was helpful. I need a bwtter system than buying myself rewards or allowing myself to indulge in a TV show. I feel like the switching gears makes something weird happen where I don't want to go back to doing more work. It seems this dip in mood happens even with a reward.

I've gotten curious about the "body doubling" as I have found that to help in the past. So maybe I can look into this.[/size]
That's fair enough. Sometimes that can also happen to me where it is harder to get back into the rhythm of doing my errands but I often think about how stressed I will be later if I don't do them or not being able to relax once they are done.
Body doubling is great. I do that sometimes as well as I find the tasks get completed more quickly.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.