TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Points: 11,051, Level: 15 Points: 11,051, Level: 15 Points: 11,051, Level: 15

Problem With Medication Now - February 14th 2009, 09:22 AM

I have no idea if this might seem triggering at all to you guys,so I put the Triggering prefix as a precaution.

Anyways in November I tried to kill myself with gravol.Needless to say it didn't work.But now everytime I take gravol I get panic attacks or my body will sometimes "overreact" to it.Like I'll feel really heavy,my thinking will be all hazy and hard to stay on track,my eyes are hard to keep open and it feels like my heartrate slows down and my breathing will slow and sometimes feels like I can't breath.Basically I feel everything I felt the night I tried to kill myself.

I know the most logical thing to do is not to take gravol,but I mainly use it for my sleep.I have a sleep disorder and so far haven't found any medication that works,so when I need to change my sleep pattern around I have to use gravol.So there isn't really any way to advoid gravol untill I find a medication that works,which will probably take years.

Did anyone else have this reaction to the medication they tried to kill themselves with and how did you overcome the reaction?

You wonder why I never smile anymore,but with broken homes come broken smiles.

Has the acidic rain burned a hole so deep,that we don't care what's beneath our feet?

I'm a freak and my best friend is a pirate-ninja-dinosaur,what a unique friendship!

My heart is so numb,that I can't feel it breaking

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fear Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 10,173, Level: 14 Points: 10,173, Level: 14 Points: 10,173, Level: 14

Re: Problem With Medication Now - February 14th 2009, 03:59 PM

I once overdosed on a prescription of mine. I had a similar reaction to yours and I stopped taking it afterwards because I became fearful of it. I was afraid I'd take it again and I'd get that feeling again. I, personally, stopped taking it for some time, but decided to get back on it after awhile. I just kept telling myself 'If I take it how I'm supposed to, I won't have any problems. Just take one and nothing will happen.' I told myself that while I took it and for a bit afterwards while I did something calming.

To get over the fear, it'll definitely take time. While I was still taking it, it took me awhile to finally realize it wasn't going to hurt me again. I would try other kinds of medication if it's really bothersome to you or try alternatives to medication for sleeping - which can be found online. However, if your determined to keep taking it because it works for you, just take it slow. Try not to stress out - do something calming. I'm sure your body will realize that the medication isn't a threat after awhile.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: kaylyn

Points: 11,891, Level: 15 Points: 11,891, Level: 15 Points: 11,891, Level: 15

Re: Problem With Medication Now - February 15th 2009, 12:00 AM

in the past i ODed on a combination of excedrin and advil... and now i don't ever take any pills... it brings back too many horrible memories from that night that i've tried so hard to block out.

i don't have any advice for you... sorry.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
I'm Not Who You Think I Am
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Points: 11,821, Level: 15 Points: 11,821, Level: 15 Points: 11,821, Level: 15

Re: Problem With Medication Now - February 15th 2009, 01:56 AM

Like has been said. When overdose you can get bad reactions trying to take them again. Mine was so bad, I physically cant take tablets anymore. Cant do it in any way. My advice to you is if you feel you need to still be taking it, make sure you only take it when needed and reasure yourself its ok, because you were supposed to take it, overwise dont use it anymore.

x

[x] Even though I'm the sacrifice,
You wont try for me, not now,
Though I'd die to know you love me,

I'm all alone,

Isn't something missing?
Isnt someone missing me [x]

Baby, i want you to be my superman.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Points: 11,051, Level: 15 Points: 11,051, Level: 15 Points: 11,051, Level: 15

Re: Problem With Medication Now - February 15th 2009, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the advice.Unfortunatly I do have to take gravol every once and awhile when I have somewhere important to be and my sleep pattern at the time doesn't alow me to be awake,or when I haven't slept in over 24 hours.

You wonder why I never smile anymore,but with broken homes come broken smiles.

Has the acidic rain burned a hole so deep,that we don't care what's beneath our feet?

I'm a freak and my best friend is a pirate-ninja-dinosaur,what a unique friendship!

My heart is so numb,that I can't feel it breaking

Closed Thread