TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
glennaeichmann Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 233, Level: 2 Points: 233, Level: 2 Points: 233, Level: 2

Dog pawing at mouth after eating - August 30th 2022, 12:43 AM

Hi All,
My dog has recently started to paw at his mouth after eating. Usually after eating hard food.
He went for a cleaning to the vets but he continued to do it , it seems like something is annoying him but we can't see any visable problems.
He is due to go back to the vets for some xrays to see more, meanwhile I was wondering if anyone else has had experienced this type of behaviour ?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Dog pawing at mouth after eating - August 30th 2022, 01:08 AM

Hey,

I’m wondering if the XRays will show any cavities or dental work that needs to be done. It sounds like he may be a little sore.

Have you switched types of food recently? Maybe if it’s a new food it’s not agreeing with him and making him sore?

Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Dog pawing at mouth after eating - August 30th 2022, 02:44 PM

I agree with Dez. If your dog needed his teeth cleaned, it may have been that there was a build up of plaque, which if left untreated, can lead to cavities and tooth decay. This can also increase the sensitivity of the teeth. But it's promising if there aren't any visible problems.

There could be other causes- perhaps your dog had a recent injury in his mouth that is leaving him sore (for example, if your dog catches/picks up sticks in his mouth, they can splinter and cause injury). Or maybe he has an abscess or ulcer.

Hopefully the x-rays will help to identify or rule out what the problem might be and your vet will be able to give further support!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: Dog pawing at mouth after eating - September 3rd 2022, 04:05 AM

It sounds like something is irritating your dogs mouth - it may be sore or something stuck in between its teeth. Hopefully the x-ray shows up something.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: Dog pawing at mouth after eating - September 5th 2022, 06:12 AM

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm hoping that we can help a bit, and that your dog starts to feel better soon.

As the other posters have said, it could be some kind of minor trauma or infection (although if you can't see any signs of injury that may not be incredibly likely). Sometimes it only takes something very small to cause irritation, and your dog pawing at his mouth will probably a) help him feel better in the moment and b) further the irritation. Does it seem like he's pawing only at one side of his face/in one place, or is he pawing at his mouth in general? The former would suggest something site-specific like an injury, whereas the latter might be something body-wide like indigestion. It could even be that he's not specifically pawing at his mouth, and the irritation might be somewhere else in that area. I know sometimes my dog will paw at her face and it's hard to tell whether it's an issue with her mouth, nose, or even eyes, so I'd recommend trying to see if you can figure out exactly where your dog is aiming for.

It could also be a food issue, especially if you've recently changed what you feed him. He might have some kind of allergy or even just not like the texture. Does he paw at his mouth after doing other things, such as playing with toys? If so, it's less likely that it's a food problem and it could be that something is causing him pain rather than just being irritating, which might indicate a deeper problem. I'm wondering how old your dog is? Dental issues get much more common in older pets, so it could be the onset of something age-related if your dog is getting up there in years (or even if he's not - dental disease doesn't always discriminate). One of my cats had to have some dental work done when she hit her senior years, which was preceded by her pawing at her mouth when it must have started to hurt. That kind of thing can be hard to pick up with physical exams alone, so it's good that you're following up with the vet to see if anything comes up on other tests.

Overall there's a lot of things that could be at play here, so it's hard to say for sure. I think the best thing you can do until his x-rays is just keep a record of how the behaviour manifests so that you can give the vet as much information as possible. Think about things like how often he paws at his mouth, how insistent he is about it or how long he does it for, whether it's every time he eats or just sometimes, whether he does it in any other situations, etc. All of that will go together to paint a picture of what's going on and help your vet determine what the best course of action is. Hopefully this was helpful, and please feel free to give us an update when you know more. Best of luck to you and your furry friend!

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
Closed Thread