TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
oceaneyes95 Offline
Average Joe

Points: 14,331, Level: 17 Points: 14,331, Level: 17 Points: 14,331, Level: 17

Replacement for cutting? - January 8th 2013, 04:17 AM

I'm basically just asking for ideas about things to do to replace cutting. Instead of finding a razor blade and cutting what can I do? Uusally I clean when i'm annoyed, frusterated, or unhappy because i'm a HUGE neat freak and basically OCD about cleaning & orginizeing ect. but when all the chores are done and i'm just completly bored I really have no other replacment activity. I'm asking for therapy techniques like the Butterfly Project except i'm asking for all kinds of ideas from anyone who has any.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Replacement for cutting? - January 8th 2013, 04:57 AM

Hey there, Lillian (beautiful name).

I'm sorry you're previously self-harmed. But you know, I'm proud of you for having the courage to step up and try to stop. That's a huge and brave step towards recovery. First, have you read over the Self-Harm Alternatives list? Some of those can begin to help if you keep at them.

Writing your feelings down in a journal or going for a walk/run whenever you're feeling urges or feeling bad can distract you a bit. Call up a friend or relative. Listen to music, watch a TV show or movie. A funny one of course, that way it'll give a more positive effect on your mind. Or one thing I like doing if I feel bad, is going biking. In the daytime of course because the sunlight helps you to feel a little happier with the assistance of you wanting to recover from things. The sunlight induces a natural positive chemical in your brain that helps you to feel more... Happier.

One thing, I use my best friend as a motivator to stop self-harm. I know I'd feel guilty because I'd have to tell him (we're so open) and he'd feel sad but understand the relapse. If I don't tell him I'd feel guilty as well. So that just stops me everytime I feel bad and wanna do it. It's really good to have an understanding person that you truly love and care about there for you. Tell a friend or whoever is a really special person in your life you tell everything to and use them as a motivator to stop. It's hard but really does help. <3

I'm sorry I don't have many other tips but I hope that helps. Good luck in stopping! There will be relapses in recovery probably but remember that trying to stop in the first place is an amazing step and that you can do this. Don't beat yourself up. Give yourself a nice little award each day you don't do it. Do something for yourself that makes you happy. Go out with friends or go eat out. Go see a movie etc...

I'm here for you if you need anything or just need someone to listen and talk to.

You can do this. Stay strong <3

~ Christabel
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29

Re: Replacement for cutting? - January 8th 2013, 08:32 AM

Hi Lilli,

have you ever heard of the elastic trick?? Sometimes people put a rubber band/hair tie on their wrist and snap it against their arm as an alternative to cutting. I've been free from cutting for a while but I still get the urges sometimes and that really works for me. Have a look at the alternatives list as well posted above as there are some good options there. I'm really glad you're looking for ways to beat the self-harm, best of luck x

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Just Breathe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Natalia

Points: 7,137, Level: 12 Points: 7,137, Level: 12 Points: 7,137, Level: 12

Re: Replacement for cutting? - January 16th 2013, 03:38 AM

Hey Lillian.

You could listen to music like Demi lovato, superchick (really helped me).
Or maybe just chatting with fellow recovering self harmers for encouragement.

If u do need to talk KIK me @ nataliabundy

I'm recovering from self harm as well

Stay Strong <3

Sticks and stones break your bones,
I know what you're feeling
Words like those won't steal your glow,
you're one in a million" ~ Britt Nicole
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I've been here a while

Name: taylor

Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25

Re: Replacement for cutting? - January 16th 2013, 03:57 AM

Hi there you already sort of know me, but I definitely know where you're coming from with this question, and its great that you're looking for alternatives. That means that somewhere inside of you, you'd rather not relapse. That's a great thing, and rescue is possible. So have hope dearie

First, as someone else already said, there's the Alternatives thread, super helpful

My favorite ones that have helped me, go for a run. Or a walk. Or a bike ride. Get some of that tension out and through your feet, whether its cold outside or hot, doesn't really matter. There's this video I saw once, and it said "Running isn't forever" and its true
Another thing that a lot of people try actually is squeezing an icecube tightly in your hand. There's painting your fingernails and scratching it off, or using a marker or a rubber band (just make sure it isn't to the point of obsession or anything like that).

Try anything really, just to keep your mind off of it. But its not good to bottle it up either, so talk to someone, write the feelings down, or get them out in some way shape or form.

We're all here for you, no matter the situation. Stay Strong
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I've been here a while

Name: taylor

Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25

Re: Replacement for cutting? - January 16th 2013, 03:57 AM

Hi there you already sort of know me, but I definitely know where you're coming from with this question, and its great that you're looking for alternatives. That means that somewhere inside of you, you'd rather not relapse. That's a great thing, and rescue is possible. So have hope dearie

First, as someone else already said, there's the Alternatives thread, super helpful

My favorite ones that have helped me, go for a run. Or a walk. Or a bike ride. Get some of that tension out and through your feet, whether its cold outside or hot, doesn't really matter. There's this video I saw once, and it said "Running isn't forever" and its true
Another thing that a lot of people try actually is squeezing an icecube tightly in your hand. There's painting your fingernails and scratching it off, or using a marker or a rubber band (just make sure it isn't to the point of obsession or anything like that).

Try anything really, just to keep your mind off of it. But its not good to bottle it up either, so talk to someone, write the feelings down, or get them out in some way shape or form.

We're all here for you, no matter the situation. Stay Strong
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,638, Level: 15 Points: 11,638, Level: 15 Points: 11,638, Level: 15

Re: Replacement for cutting? - January 19th 2013, 03:41 AM

s they have said above the place to go look.
I would say I have goals to work towards. It kinda pushes me to not give in when I need to.
I also think wirting out those bad felings help.
Honestly sounds weird but it worked better than I thought. If you feel the urge to cut and just want that numbing feeling you can take an ice cub and put it on your where you normally do it at. It worked part of the time for me because of the feeling you get.
Since you like to clean maybe get a dry erase board and scribble those angry feelings away and then clean off the board after to keep on doing working through it.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Replacement for cutting? - January 23rd 2013, 11:48 PM

Hey Lilli.

It's brilliant that you're here asking for different things to do instead of cutting when you have the urges to self harm. I think it's a positive step in the right direction! I hope we manage to give you some idea's that you like.

The first one I'm going to talk about it something I picked of of another young person while I was in-patient. It's pretty simply. Buy some glow sticks. I normally have the ones that you wear around your wrists. When you have an urge to self harm, snap one and wear it. Now, you're then not allowed to self harm until the glow band has stopped glowing which is normally around 8-12 hours later by which time, the urges would have hopefully passed by then. I found this so helpful at one point it was unreal. And if you wanted too, you could tell the people closest to you about this, and then when they see you wearing a glow band, they would know that you're struggling with the urges without you having to say anything and they might then be able to do something nice with you too.

The second one is to make a happy box AKA first aid box. Get a box and decorate with pretty paper, photos etc. And then fill it with things that distract you, help you and make you happy. For example, in mine I have glow bands (of course!) a little cuddly toy from when I was a child, worry dolls, a dvd, a book, photo's, letters from friends, positive quote and things like nail varnish. When you feel low or have the urges, turn to the box and do things out of it. Hopefully it will distract you and make you feel a little better.

The last one is the paper chain project. Basically, every day that you go with out self harm, add a colourful link to your paper chain. When/IF you relapse and self harm one day, add a plain white chain to your paper chain instead of a colourful chain. And the over time, you'll begin to see your progress in recovery and if you struggle one day, take a look at the paper chain and see the progress you have made and use it to inspire you to keep going.

I hope you like these idea's and most importantly I hope that you find them helpful,
Stay smiling,
Jessie.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21

Re: Replacement for cutting? - January 24th 2013, 07:10 PM

What I'm trying to do at the moment is exercise when I feel like I want to cut as most of the time I feel the need to be punished, and since I hate exercise, it's a perfect way to "punish" myself. I have an exercise bike and I try to do an hour each time I get close to self harming and by the time I'm finished, I'm knackered and the urge has usually gone away. Other alternatives that I try are distracting myself by spending time with friends and family as obviously I can't self harm around them. Also, thinking about the pros and cons of self harming sometimes helps me.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Breakaway Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,152, Level: 12 Points: 7,152, Level: 12 Points: 7,152, Level: 12

Re: Replacement for cutting? - January 25th 2013, 01:06 PM

I have one of those weighted hula hoops, and I just stand there hula hooping until I have no more energy left. It kinda hurts because of the extra weight, and it's not the most expensive solution so that helps me get my aggressions out. Also, they're great for shaping your body, so two successes at once :-) I'm still in the process of stopping my self harm, but this is quite effective when I have urges.
Closed Thread