TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Takoda Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kristin

Points: 7,963, Level: 13 Points: 7,963, Level: 13 Points: 7,963, Level: 13

Unhappy Cutting - April 12th 2013, 12:01 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I saw this really triggering picture yesterday that somebody had posted. I belong to a website where you can ask and answer questions. The question was, "Have you ever self harmed?". The person said no, but she posted a couple of pictures of really bloody arms, and it triggered me.

I didn't really cut like I used to, but I did make two little lines on the top of my arm, thus ending my 6-month anniversary of being Self harm free.

And i've been rather depressed lately, and I'm scared that I'm going to fall back into old habits. I don't know..

I hope it won't turn into an issue. But I don't know how to rid of my stress and problems and such.

I can't talk to my parents. Last time they found out I was cutting/suicidal, they told me I should just kill myself, because according to them, "Depressed people who complain about life all the damn time should just go ahead and do it, and not complain about hating their lives". .-.

And my counselor is of no help. I've gone to him multiple times, but he never really tries to help.

And I can't get any help with a psychologist or anything. Mom and dad won't "waste" their time, energy, and money on that. They say they're not going to pay someone to listen to my petty problems.

So, that's why I'm here instead. Sorry for ranting.

Constantly lost and found~
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Points: 8,278, Level: 13 Points: 8,278, Level: 13 Points: 8,278, Level: 13

Re: Cutting - April 12th 2013, 12:45 AM

I'm sorry no one will take you seriously. The line I use a lot is to tell someone and it's sad to see that you DID tell someone, but they won't listen. I'm sorry.

Try not to think that you'll fall back to bad habits; you become what you think, so think on other things. Good things. I know this sounds weird, but it's true. Jesus knew it.

Stay strong. Don't let them get to you. Don't let them tell you that you should kill yourself. No. Don't listen. Life is too good.
I'm sorry they won't listen. Don't give up.
God bless you.
- Collies R Us

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Points: 21,487, Level: 21 Points: 21,487, Level: 21 Points: 21,487, Level: 21

Re: Cutting - April 12th 2013, 06:31 PM

Hey, I know its hard to quit im on the same boat but just hang in there and keep going everyone has there slip ups but you have to keep moving forward and dont let your slip ups take you down. I messed up also but you just have to remeber why you wanted to quit in the first place and say yes i messed up but i can fix this and start over i can do this pm me anytime if you need advice

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Cutting - April 12th 2013, 07:40 PM

Hey there,

I am sorry you are dealing with all of this but I believe you can make it through all of this. I believe that relapses are a part of recovery and so this is merely a set back and you can come back from this. I know how discouraging it can be to go a certain amount of time without self harming and then have a relapse but I promise that this does not have to mean you will fall back into your old pattern of self harming.

Do you know what triggered the relapse? Do you know what is causing your to feel stressed and depressed? If you can get down to the bottom of these feelings you might be able to, slowly, work on resolving them or, at least, work on finding the proper coping skills to deal with them. Overcoming self harm is a bit of work but in my opinion it is worth it because in the long run self harm does not solve anything.

I think you should also try checking out Alternatives to Self Harm check over the list and whenever you are feeling an urge try using some of the things suggested. It might take some time for you to find the alternatives that work for you but don't give up.

As for the counselor you are seeing, have you considered talking to him about the fact that you don't feel like he is helping you? I know that might be hard to do but he is there to help you and if he is not helping he needs to know so that the two of you can work on figuring out the best way to get to a place where he can help you. Sometimes counselor feel as though they are being effective until their patient tells them that they are not and then they work on changing things up a bit to help their patient out a bit more.

Lastly, I want you to know that you are important. I know that right now it might not seem that way but I promise you that is not the case. You do matter and you will make it through this. You have a purpose on this earth and one day you will be able to look back on all of this and say that you survived. You can do this.

I hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to PM or VM me.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Cutting - April 23rd 2013, 11:57 AM

Hi, Kristin.

I'm really sorry about the relapse, how your parents treat you and about everything in general. You're a wonderful person and you really don't deserve all those bad things in your life. But hey, 6 months is amazing and I'm really proud of you for that. I believe you can definitely get back to 6 months again and go over.

Maybe you could try to do other things to express yourself. Write your feelings in a journal, go for walks when you feel like hurting yourself, play games, listen to music, draw on yourself, write poems, make a calm jar, call a friend, cuddle with a pet/stuffed animal. Things like that can really help you. Just try to find all these little things in your life that'll help and keep you from hurting yourself. Each sad emotions you get through without self-harm helps much more than you know. I also suggest checking out that list of self-harm alternatives above.

I'm always here if you need someone to talk to, Kristin. Remember, you can do this!

Stay Strong <3
Closed Thread