TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,304, Level: 11 Points: 6,304, Level: 11 Points: 6,304, Level: 11

Exclamation cutting addictive?for blood or pain? - July 25th 2013, 04:51 PM

iv been cutting for years and people ask me y...i cnt tellthem why becuz idk. ik im not proud of it ..i try to hide it always have...i overdosed in march was in the hospitla for 3 weeks thats when everyone found out i cut.sence then iv been doing my best not to cut but i think its addictive...is cutting addictive?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
helloabi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,908, Level: 12 Points: 6,908, Level: 12 Points: 6,908, Level: 12

Re: cutting addictive?for blood or pain? - July 25th 2013, 05:18 PM

For some it is.
For me it's like taking a drug. It's a terrible habit to fall into.
I'm sorry that you struggle with it. It releases dopamine, which is a hormone that makes you happy, and it takes away the emotional pain. It's different for everybody though. Most people just won't get it if you try to explain.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Himitsu Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Yuki

Points: 6,782, Level: 12 Points: 6,782, Level: 12 Points: 6,782, Level: 12

Re: cutting addictive?for blood or pain? - July 25th 2013, 08:40 PM

I think so. I have only talked to maybe 20 other SHers, but I think most would agree it's addictive on some level or another. It certainly is for me.
There's not only the chemistry of it, but if it becomes a habit, like anything else and if you stop, it'll definitely come around. I've been clean almost a year and I think about it probably daily, and I know some of my friends do too.
Hope that was helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
mindflower Offline
what the hell is a FixYou♥
I've been here a while

Name: taylor

Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25 Points: 32,370, Level: 25

Re: cutting addictive?for blood or pain? - July 25th 2013, 09:39 PM

Hi there, first of all, know that you aren't alone, and there is hope.

To answer your question, yes, cutting and other forms of self harm can be addictive to some people, and while some can control it on their own and quit, others have troubles doing so and can need medical help and medicines to help them recover. Everyone is different in their self harm habits and needs, I know this from experience and from being a part of TeenHelp here. I've been self harming for almost 2 years, and many of my friends have done it since. They've all stopped, but I somehow haven't, and that is partially my proof for the addiction I have to it. I'm like you on this though: I'm not sure if I know exactly why I can't stop. And the fact is, a lot of people can't explain why they do it, but its a constant desire and escape, some for the pain, some for the blood, there isn't just one logical answer. Its not scientific, and those who haven't experienced self harm or depression have a hard time processing why we do it or why we wouldn't want help for it.

The thing is though, there is help, and there is recovery. Like I said, I know lots of people that have been in the same place you are, being emotionally wounded and somehow finding comfort or relief in something like cutting. There are, however, alternatives, and though none are going to have the same feeling, they have helped a lot of people. We have a list on here if you haven't yet seen it, here, that I think would be great for you to look at, and to speak out, talk to someone about it. Whether it be a friend, a teacher, family, or going to a counselor yourself depending on your age, or whether you tell someone face to face or in a letter, there is no right or wrong answer but it is the best to reach out. And believe me, I've struggled SO hard with that, I would sometimes get mad if someone found out and told, but you know, they only do it because they care. Same as them asking you why you do this to yourself, they want to know so they can understand. It is difficult. But there is a bright side, the rainbow after the storm, you know?

I always tell this to everyone, and I always mean it: Stay strong We're all here for you, I'm here for you, don't give up
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Points: 9,201, Level: 14 Points: 9,201, Level: 14 Points: 9,201, Level: 14

Re: cutting addictive?for blood or pain? - July 25th 2013, 10:17 PM

Other people have already answered but I'll add in my own thoughts. Yes, cutting is addictive. Cutting releases endorphins and endorphins are a natural chemical associated with happiness. So basically cutting can make you feel happier or give a sense of relief. Also cutting is a habit if you do it long enough. So whenever you have a problem your first instinct is to cut because that's just how you deal with emotional pain. Recovery is all about breaking the cycle. So yes, when something bad happens you'll want to cut but you force yourself to use better coping skills and eventually coping healthily will become your new reaction to pain.

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: cutting addictive?for blood or pain? - July 25th 2013, 11:24 PM

Cutting definitely is addictive. Everyone is right so far that it releases chemicals in the brain that are associated with happiness, and because of that it ends up addictive. And, since it helps in the moment due to these chemicals, people keep on coming back. I've noticed after a while too that sometimes people need to make more cuts or see more blood in order to get the same release they did when they first started, just like with drugs. It almost becomes a habit or go-to thing that you end up craving after a while. But, you can break the addiction, just like any other!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: cutting addictive?for blood or pain? - July 26th 2013, 06:38 AM

Hi there,

I'm not going to repeat what has already been said, but the above users are right about how it's addictive and why it's hard to stop self harming. I just wanted you to know that even though it's addictive, you can beat it and overcome it. You don't have to have self harm in your life. I don't know if you're aware of any triggers but if you ever want to talk to us about anything, know that we're here to support you. Beating self harm is incredibly hard but also possible and as long as you work hard and stay determined, you'll get there. You can overcome it, okay? Just never be alone in the fight. You ARE worth so much more than the pain you are putting yourself through.

Jessie.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
sydney1999 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,586, Level: 11 Points: 6,586, Level: 11 Points: 6,586, Level: 11

Re: cutting addictive?for blood or pain? - July 30th 2013, 06:46 PM

Cutting releases endorphines in your brain that make you feel better so you become addicted to that feeling of being better. I know i am addicted it is basically my drug. It is like alcohol is addicting for alcoholics or drugs are addicting for drug addicts. It is just as hard to quit.

Life goes on. People move on. It'll be okay.
Closed Thread