TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brenna

Points: 5,634, Level: 11 Points: 5,634, Level: 11 Points: 5,634, Level: 11

Alternatives to Self Harm/ My story - August 18th 2014, 07:47 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey! I've been struggling for a while (about 4 months) with depression.
Mostly because I don't feel like I'm not doing anything good or noticeable, like what's the point in living if no one remembers who you are after your gone. I just wish I could make a difference in the world, but I've not been able to so I started self harm. The first time I cut I swore I would never do it again but about two days later I cut again. It became a every other week kind of thing. I hated my self for it, which only made me feel worse and want to cut more. About 2 weeks ago I through out all my cutting supplies. But a few days ago I went into the kitchen and cut myself with a knife. I guess what I'm asking is if there is any other way for me to resist cutting? The Butterfly Project didn't work because I just cut around it. Please help, I hate being depressed and feeling worthless.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Alternatives to Self Harm/ My story - August 18th 2014, 07:53 AM

Hey there,

I just want to start out by saying you make more of an impact on people than what you think. Any time you speak to people you leave something with them, and that is noticeable and that is a good thing! You seem like a really great person.

Perhaps to start feeling as if you are doing something good, you can start volunteering. That way, you WILL be doing noticeable good and you will be changing people's lives. You can always try and do something where you are still able to wear long sleeves, but at least you will be doing the good you want to, and it will make a difference. Every bit counts.

It is really good that you threw out your supplies and I think that at the very least, that is a great start and you should be so proud for doing that. It takes a lot of effort and is a step in the right direction!

Perhaps instead of cutting, you can find ways to express yourself such as writing, art, or music. Exercise is another great way to get out pent up emotions!

It can also help to be with people, either in person or on the phone. Even if you don't talk to them about what is going on, it's harder to self harm around people. I do recommend you talk to SOMEONE about it though. This is a list of people who can help. Consider talking to one of those people, you don't deserve to go through this alone!

This is a list of alternatives to self harm. They are healthier, safer ways to cope. If one doesn't work, try not to get discouraged, because another one will!

You can do this!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Alternatives to Self Harm/ My story - August 24th 2014, 06:33 AM

you are not worthless. i know that its tough to believe , but you are someone who could make a huge difference . There's so many things you could do for society and for people in general. Things can get tough. thats something i know very well. But i know that you are so much stronger and much better than all the challenges you face. Things will be okay.

Just my way of doing things. But whenever things get really tough for me, i just sit down and read a good book, or just listen to some calming music and just do anything healthy and safe that i like ... examples include movies and some funky sport of some kind. And i reassure you....... you have done more good things than you know. I get the feeling that you're someone a lot of people want to be.

Things will be okay. stay strong i'll always be here if you need someone.
Closed Thread