TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 8,140, Level: 13 Points: 8,140, Level: 13 Points: 8,140, Level: 13

Possible self harm distraction. - December 29th 2015, 04:27 AM

Hey everyone!
So I've been really down. Not sure why just lots of thoughts and stuff. I got this adult coloring book for Christmas, it's a cat one! Ha and let me tell you it's Sooo therapeutic! I felt like self harming REALLY bad and I was like no! I can't. I just can't. I have to break this habit. Or else it will kill me. Soo, I got out this coloring book and it got my mind off of it all! I was just focusing on what colors I was going to use. Oh make sure I stay in the lines! Ha and let me tell you I'm not artsy AT ALL. Now the feelings have passed and I feel much better! So I say it's worth a shot!
Stay strong everyone! You got this! <3
As always message me anytime

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. ~Oscar Wilde.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: Possible self harm distraction. - December 29th 2015, 04:30 AM

You are so right that coloring can be therapeutic! I am so glad it's helped you out a lot!

Maybe you can even find other artistic things to do, like make things out of Play Doh. I know it sounds silly, but a few years back I volunteered with children who were really young, like pre-school and younger, and when I played with Play Doh with them, it was such a stress relief.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Possible self harm distraction. - December 29th 2015, 05:22 AM

Coloring is a great way to help cope with self-harm urges! I'm glad you've found something that works for you.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Possible self harm distraction. - December 29th 2015, 06:14 AM

After seeing your threads and knowing you have been struggling a lot lately, I was happy to read this.

Coloring must be a great distraction that relieves stress also. I'm glad to hear you discovered coloring. Keep it up! Have you ever heard of paint by numbers? You can get kits that come with different colors of paint, the brush and the canvas of course! There are lines on the canvas and numbers to let you know what color paint to use. You can alternate between coloring and painting so you don't get tired of one. You may find jigsaw puzzles helpful too.

I am proud of you for using it as a distraction when you have urges. You can beat self-harm! Stay strong and PM me if you need anything.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Possible self harm distraction. - December 29th 2015, 08:41 AM

I'm so happy to read this, and i want you to know that you can beat any negative thoughts or words you may encounter. And nothing'e beyond your grasp

Remember that you can pm me too! I'm so proud of you!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 8,140, Level: 13 Points: 8,140, Level: 13 Points: 8,140, Level: 13

Re: Possible self harm distraction. - December 29th 2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany. View Post
You are so right that coloring can be therapeutic! I am so glad it's helped you out a lot!

Maybe you can even find other artistic things to do, like make things out of Play Doh. I know it sounds silly, but a few years back I volunteered with children who were really young, like pre-school and younger, and when I played with Play Doh with them, it was such a stress relief.
Yes! Thanks! That's also a great idea! I will try it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceCommander View Post
Coloring is a great way to help cope with self-harm urges! I'm glad you've found something that works for you.
Yesss, thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala View Post
After seeing your threads and knowing you have been struggling a lot lately, I was happy to read this.

Coloring must be a great distraction that relieves stress also. I'm glad to hear you discovered coloring. Keep it up! Have you ever heard of paint by numbers? You can get kits that come with different colors of paint, the brush and the canvas of course! There are lines on the canvas and numbers to let you know what color paint to use. You can alternate between coloring and painting so you don't get tired of one. You may find jigsaw puzzles helpful too.

I am proud of you for using it as a distraction when you have urges. You can beat self-harm! Stay strong and PM me if you need anything.
Thank you! I will definitely try that. My mom actually got me several puzzles she read that it was good to get your mind off of stuff. So I'm going to try that next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Yoshi View Post
I'm so happy to read this, and i want you to know that you can beat any negative thoughts or words you may encounter. And nothing'e beyond your grasp

Remember that you can pm me too! I'm so proud of you!
Thank you! It makes me so happy that people are proud of me

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. ~Oscar Wilde.
Closed Thread