TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,677, Level: 24 Points: 29,677, Level: 24 Points: 29,677, Level: 24

Is self harming automatically considered an 'emergency'? - January 29th 2021, 01:07 AM

Hi,

So I'm having very strong urges to self harm and I have this thing working out pretty well so far, getting to email my therapist once in between sessions. One of the guidelines is that if it is an emergency I have to contact proper professionals (911, etc) instead of her.

I don't know what to do in the case of non-suividal self harm though

I am not even sure if I'm allowed to tell her about the urges in real time. I have mentioned having urges in a retrospective way and making sure to mention that it is no longer active urges. But now it is getting harder to keep myself away from self harm. I wonder if I even have to tell her about it at all if I do relapse. The thing is it would have been a relapse after over 2 years of not doing it.

if I end up relapsing and let her know it was only superficial would that be against the guidelines? I am scared to lose my therapist over this. I am also getting impatient with putting off self harm over and over again and really think cutting superficially might be a happy medium to get what I want and also not make it to the point that I lose my job and have people find out.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14

Re: Is self harming automatically considered an 'emergency'? - January 30th 2021, 01:48 PM

Even if it isn't life-threatening or "severe", if you have a history of that, they could consider even a minor SH episode to be a potentially dangerous event that could lead to full-on relapse.

Think it's the best to bring it up. They're there to help you, hiding important things can hinder the effects of your work together.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,990, Level: 26 Points: 33,990, Level: 26 Points: 33,990, Level: 26

Re: Is self harming automatically considered an 'emergency'? - January 31st 2021, 02:28 AM

it's always a good idea to bring this up with her, no matter how strong the urges are, whether they're current or not. Urges by themselves are not considered an emergency, and if you were to relapse, it would most likely only be considered an emergency if it were a suicide attempt, or if you needed urgent treatment for it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is self harming automatically considered an 'emergency'? - January 31st 2021, 03:22 PM

Thsnk uou for the replies. I guess I will find outg tomorrow evening what her reaction is.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,932, Level: 47 Points: 109,932, Level: 47 Points: 109,932, Level: 47

Re: Is self harming automatically considered an 'emergency'? - February 3rd 2021, 09:23 AM

Hello Violet,

I am so sorry that you have been feeling like this and I hope that you are starting to feel a little bit better. If you have the feeling to hurt yourself, try to call someone who can help you so that you will be okay soon. I know that it can be hard to open up and ask someone for help, they have people who can help you so that you will be okay soon. You can call the suicide helpline and they can help you out with this. They are suicidepreventionlifeline.org

When you have the feeling to hurt yourself try to find something to get you're mind off of this for a while. For example, try going for a walk around you're house or calling a friend or putting on a funny TV show or movie or drawing or reading or find something else that you enjoy doing and do that for a while to help you so that you are doing okay. I hope everything goes well when you see her and that you will be okay soon. No matter what happens when you are talking with her, try to find something to help pick you up after talking to her. So that you are okay. Wish you the best with this.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Is self harming automatically considered an 'emergency'? - February 3rd 2021, 12:00 PM

Hey Violet,

I think it depends on how you look at it. It could be emergent or at least really important you're considering self-harm because it shows you're feeling badly enough to want to harm yourself even if the harm is non-suicidal. But, in the sense of the guidelines, self-harm might be more or less emergent depending on whether you need treatment for it.

Did you tell your therapist about how you're feeling? How did it go? You could always ask her more about those guidelines before you say anything specific.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is self harming automatically considered an 'emergency'? - February 9th 2021, 11:08 PM

Thank you everyone. We talked about it yesterday. We came up with an agreement that she won't bombard me with questions about it and I don't have to hide it either. I can even bring it up and say I don't want to say more. If I have the regular passing urges, I can skip bringing it up and if it gets worse, I can choose to bring it up whether I do end up relapsing or not.
Closed Thread