TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WitchedWillow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Willow

Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12

Will the butterfly project work?? - January 2nd 2012, 12:59 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've been cutting for two years. Recently, (just today actually), I heard about the butterfly project. I decided that I would give it a try.
I've already drawn three butterflies.
The first one is Anna, the second one is Tegan, and the third one is Zach.
I love the idea of this. But.., I've still wanted to cut a lot. Something is telling me to not cut though..

The butterfly project. I like it. I don't know why, I just do.

And I know it probably won't last me too long. It'll probably last me around 2 weeks. But atleast I'll stop for a lil bit.

Who has it worked for? Has it worked for you? Or is it a load of lies, and will it not work? I really wanna know.., I really wanna get better and stop waisting my families money on therapy sessions and mental hospitals for suicide attempts..
Does the butterfly project work??
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,543, Level: 59 Points: 172,543, Level: 59 Points: 172,543, Level: 59

Re: Will the butterfly project work?? - January 2nd 2012, 01:19 AM

Hey there (Welcome to TH by the way!),

I'm really glad that you are giving the butterfly project a shot. Not every alternative works for every person, but what matters is that you are determined to help make it work. There are so many alternatives out there, and I think that the butterfly project is a good one. Want to know something that might make you a bit more determined to let the butterflies live? Have a friend or family member that you care about draw a butterfly or two on you. I find that they have more meaning when someone else does them for you. Stay strong.

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
WitchedWillow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Willow

Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12

Re: Will the butterfly project work?? - January 2nd 2012, 02:42 AM

@Dez:
That's a good idea I'll get some people to do that for me
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: Will the butterfly project work?? - January 2nd 2012, 06:25 PM

Hey Willow!
For me, it definitely has helped. I don't actually draw butterflies on myself, mainly because they look like poor little creatures that have been stepped on. Lol. But, I do focus on the people that mean something to me to stop myself from cutting. I think about how hurt they would be if they knew what I was doing to myself. So, it's not exactly the same thing, but it's the same basic concept! But, don't get discouraged if this doesn't work out or if it stops working. Just move on to finding a new method and keep going strong! Feel free to shoot me a message anytime. Stay strong!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Nadroj Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,318, Level: 13 Points: 8,318, Level: 13 Points: 8,318, Level: 13

Re: Will the butterfly project work?? - January 3rd 2012, 12:25 AM

It doesn't help me. If I cut over the butterflies then I'd be scared of ink poisoning and if I cut somewhere else - then they wouldn't make me want to stop at all.
I feel like it's just a system to make yourself feel guilty. A lot of us already have enough guilt about it. Like, friends, parents, whoever telling you to stop and just making you feel worse.
I don't need anything to make myself feel even more guilty about it. Feeling guilty isn't going to solve your problem and if you can't do it, (if you cut despite the butterflies) then you're probably just going to feel worse.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Humanity is a curse
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sarah

Points: 7,558, Level: 12 Points: 7,558, Level: 12 Points: 7,558, Level: 12

Re: Will the butterfly project work?? - January 4th 2012, 11:56 AM

I'm trying the butterfly project, too.. I started 3 or 4 days ago and since then I haven't cut.. I have 6 butterflies on my arm at the moment.. and every seemingly small, insignificant thing makes me want to cut. the fact that i haven't done it in 3 or 4 days is surprising. I started the butterfly project more for my friends than for myself, because I know by hurting myself I hurt them, too.. but I don't see it lasting very long. It works, but I think for it to work for an extended period of time you have to have a lot of self discipline.
Closed Thread