TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pinkbabi85 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,538, Level: 13 Points: 8,538, Level: 13 Points: 8,538, Level: 13

Exclamation My Step-Mom's New Disability - June 18th 2010, 02:13 AM

Ok, I'm not entirely sure that this thread should go here, but whatever.

My stepmom had an extreamly severe stroke this year that left her entire right side of her body paralyzed. It left my entire family in shock (3 step siblings 1 blood sibling and my dad). I couldn't concentrate at all at school after this occured and managed to fail spanish, even though I'm a native speaker. I have no idea how to deal with this. She was always our center of attention and was the brawn of the relationship with my parents. I love her like my own mom and I've been living with her since I was 9. My emotions are all out of wack and I've had problems with my terrible temper more and more lately (I had learned how to completely control it before).

Whats really the worst is that none of my friends care exept for one and was the only one that cared enough to actually listen to me while i was crying. They all thought that it was just like a week long thing, and she would be back up and running again so soon. She can't even hold a cup with her right hand and she cant even walk without her walker. It's been nearly 3 months now. She has been home for a while and I have no idea how to react to it (I haven't seen her because I've been with my mother).

I can't even think about her without crying. Some of her speech has been impaired, but she understands almost everything. She was the one person that I could talk to about almost all my problems and now I can't even do that.

Has anyone gone through this? I really need some help here.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
LeahLouise Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Leah Louise

Points: 9,463, Level: 14 Points: 9,463, Level: 14 Points: 9,463, Level: 14

Re: My Step-Mom's New Disability - June 25th 2010, 01:32 AM

I know it's hard to see someone you love suddenly change, and be unable to do everything they used too.
i know, i've had it happen to me...
But i guess the good thing is, the person you love (your step-mom) is still here.
Strokes can unfortunetly kill people. I guess the fact she's alive, is a benifit.
You should look on the bright side to things, you still have her, she's the same person, despise the disability...
she thinks the exact same as she ever would do.
and over time, stroke patients usually learn to communicate and understand better...
I know my own grandad did, MANY times.
and it may take a long time, but still... time is worth it, yeah?
Just stay strong and don't forget she's still the same person and she'll obviously still care for you a lot

leah (:
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
musicslife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kavitha

Points: 9,083, Level: 13 Points: 9,083, Level: 13 Points: 9,083, Level: 13

Re: My Step-Mom's New Disability - June 27th 2010, 05:12 AM

Yeah. Look at the bright side. My grandma can't even walk now. And she's in a very bad state. at least, your mom is there for you. She's still there and she'll get better. Just believe. Act normal to her. I mean, don't change. She doesn't want any sympathy. Be yourself.
Closed Thread