TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

Question I don't know whats happening with me? - March 3rd 2021, 04:30 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""][FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]For some reason (im in high school right now) during one of my classes almost all the time I am really energetic and over-the-top, same with when I play sports even if I felt tired and horrible for the rest of the day. I'd personally say that being that "loud" is really out of character for me, especially in comparison to even just last year. Does anyone know any reasons this might be happening because every day whenever I think about myself when I was acting energetic I always feel like sh*t afterwards and like everyone probably hates me. It's so tiring to deal with :/[/size][/color][/font][/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: I don't know whats happening with me? - March 3rd 2021, 02:51 PM

If you feel that being 'loud' or energetic is out of character for you, I'm wondering how you normally feel about yourself? Do you perhaps feel that you have to be loud to fit in or to feel that you are compensating for feelings of anxiety, low self-esteem or low confidence? Or is there anyone in school that you might be trying to attract attention from?

Many things can influence your mood and behaviour. It could just be related to being a teenager and experiencing mood swings brought on by the various hormones in your body. Or maybe it could be influenced by your diet (particularly caffeine and maybe some types of medication), exercise and sleep patterns. It could also potentially be related to mental health (for example, social anxiety, or bipolar) or neurodiversity (for example, ADHD). Even the pandemic might have had an effect on your energy levels as many people are now feeling restless working form home and not being able to go back to the life we used to have. It's difficult to say for sure, and we aren't professionals, so can't really do more to help than just speculate. But you could look try to track your mood/behaviour to see if any patterns emerge, and also keep an eye on your overall wellbeing such as how much sleep you are getting.

It's understandable that if you are energetic at school, but then when you have time to think and reflect, feel ashamed as to how you acted and think that everyone hates you. This must be confusing for you but try to remember that we all act differently at school than at home, or with friends than with family, but that those who matter probably won't start hating you over your behaviour. If anything, they might be a bit concerned by your change of behaviour and hope that you are okay.

It might help to keep track of your mood, behaviour and anything that might influence or trigger changes. If you find yourself feeling worse as time goes on, then you might want to talk to someone, whether that's a parent, GP or counsellor.

Hope this helps a bit and feel free to keep us updated!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,719, Level: 39 Points: 74,719, Level: 39 Points: 74,719, Level: 39

Re: I don't know whats happening with me? - March 3rd 2021, 06:43 PM

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out for support here and I hope you manage to get the help you need.

I think Holly's question as to the reasons for your 'over the top' behaviour is a good one. Is it that you feel you have to act a certain way, or is it just genuinely a behaviour which emerges naturally in this situation? If it's the latter, it might not necessarily be a bad thing. Energetic behaviour is not always a bad thing. It could be a sign that you're more comfortable there in expressing yourself. Otherwise, if you feel you are acting in ways which feel unnatural, consider why this is. Do you feel you have to act like this to fit in, as mentioned above? If so, what about the situation makes you feel like this? If it is people who have said something, maybe you can bring it up with those people.

I mainly wanted to let you know that there's no need to feel bad after being energetic and 'loud' around people or in classes. These aren't necessarily bad things, and you should never feel bad for the way you have acted if it isn't harming anyone. I can understand how you feel as I have often said things or acted in certain ways before and then gone over it again and again in my head, criticising myself. I think almost everyone can say the same and it's very normal to feel like that. But being who you are, whether you're more reserved or more energetic, is not a bad thing. People are unlikely to hate you for being energetic. Sometimes this is actually something people really like! I know that having a friend who is upbeat is sometimes enough to lift my mood too, so don't be too hard on yourself. A good mood is not a bad thing at all.

I think that if your mood is worrying you though, speaking to someone is a really good idea. If you have a counsellor at your school or a teacher you get on particularly well with, perhaps you can mention it to them? There is a level of confidentiality there, and if nothing else they may help you understand the root of your guilt about being energetic and help you come to terms with that. Reaching out isn't a weakness, so don't be afraid to seek help in real life as well as online.

If you have any questions or want to talk at all, feel free to reach out again. I hope this helps a bit.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: I don't know whats happening with me? - March 3rd 2021, 09:26 PM

You mentioned that you feel more energetic and over-the-top in comparison to last year. Is there anything significant that may have happened during this period of time? Even if you may not feel it's significant as such, it may help to narrow down the timeframe in which you started being more 'loud' as you described. Sometimes certain events in our lives trigger certain reactions and emotions and we behave differently, but we're not always aware of it. Have a think about what changes may have bene made to your life over this period. Even if it was something you may think wasn't very much or a series of small events that may have built up.

Have you spoken to anyone else about this? For example a family member or friend? If you haven't already, you could consider chatting with them and see if they've noticed any changes in your behaviour and try and help pinpoint a more closer timeframe from when the behaviour transition started happening. It may also be a good idea to chat with them to see if they have any opinions as well.

When I was in school, I was often the quiet person in the class. Right up until I was with a certain group of people and then I would start to act out or show off in class. Even amongst people I knew would tease me or dislike me for it. I would do it anyway. I didn't exactly grow up with an amazing life, so during the nearing end years of secondary school I started behaving differently in certain classes around certain classmates. Looking back, deep down I think it was my way of trying to ask for help or to be noticed. It didn't necessarily mean there was anything wrong with me.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with behaving differently during school. Don't forget that you're also still maturing and growing. You're changing all the time, both in personality and physicality. Sometimes these changes manifest in many different ways. Not everybody is going to like the changes you're making with yourself. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with you.

With all of that said, you could consider seeing a doctor if you're feeling there's more to it than just a regular behaviour change and/or just growing up.
Closed Thread