TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FuturesEnd45 Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,793, Level: 13 Points: 8,793, Level: 13 Points: 8,793, Level: 13

Question Afraid ill develop an eating disorder - May 8th 2012, 08:38 PM

Hi! Lately im really afraid im going to develop an eating disorder. Let me elaborate.
Ive been really sick for a while, anything ( once eating an apple made me leave school early ) i eat i get extremly bad stomach aches bloating and a bunch of other things im always laying down cause it hurts too much. Im seeing a doctor about this so its being handled atm.
Ive been trying to loose weight and exersie everyday so i have a calorie counter on my phone. The calculator keeps record of my age height and weight and if i want to loose (edited) or (edited) lb a week ( i chose (edited)lb ) and it gAve me a reccomened daily calorie intake wich my doctor agreed with! But-
Because when i eat i feel pain i only eat max (edited) calories a day. My doctors worried because when i was weighed i lost (edited)lbs since my last visit and w.o clothes i lost (edited)lbs :x

Im fustrated about my weight but i know its easy to work it off by eating well and working hard and most of its bloating anyways, but im afraid because of my illness and once i can treat it ill still be too afraid to eat over (edited) or (edited) calories because ill still be afriad ill feel pain even once if i get better.

Do you think i will be okay am i over worrying? How can i prevent being afraid of calories if i get treated? Thank you

Last edited by Just Peachy.; May 9th 2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Posting weight and/or calorie numbers are against the rules. Thanks! :D
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Afraid ill develop an eating disorder - May 9th 2012, 12:19 PM

Hi there,

Although a moderator will soon be along to edit your post (calorie and weight figures aren't allowed on TH :] ) I can tell you now that you aren't eating nearly enough.

At the minute though, this sounds more like a physical problem than a mental one. I'd advise you to talk to your doctor, and tell him all of this. If you continue eating the amount of calories you are right now, your body will basically start cannibalizing itself (feeding on itself). Your heart will start beating slower, you might gain weight as your body clings to every morsel you put in your mouth, your hair will fall out, and eventually you'll die- your body just can't survive on that many calories.

Calories are nothing to be afraid of. All they do is keep you alive, nothing else. Your doctor needs to assess you and work out what is causing the bloating. I highly doubt it's due to the amount of calories you're eating, it's more likely the type of foods you are eating.

Good luck! I'm always here if you need me

~Laura

Take as long as you need.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Points: 9,390, Level: 14 Points: 9,390, Level: 14 Points: 9,390, Level: 14

Re: Afraid ill develop an eating disorder - May 9th 2012, 12:34 PM

Hey Lea,

I can sympathise with the gastro problems, completely, although borne out of a different nature. My problems were through substance abuse and stopping eating almost completely in lieu of substance use, as well as Bulimic traits.

It's very good that you're seeking advice from your doctor, but it also might be an idea to get referred to a Dietician, to work a plan of how you can lose weight healthily, if you need to, and the options available in doing that. Also, if necessary, a referral to an ED therapist may help, too.

I wish you the best, I can completely sympathise with how difficult this must be for you.

However, I very strongly emphasise, that losing weight unhealthily can cause drastic changes in the way your stomach and gut processes food, leading to gastro problems that can cause major havoc. Please try to continue liasing with your doctor and get referrals from them.

Michy.

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
Closed Thread