TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Breaking Point Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,171, Level: 10 Points: 5,171, Level: 10 Points: 5,171, Level: 10

Eating disorder or just skipping a few meals? - April 19th 2015, 12:56 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay, so this is usually how my day goes:
First I'd wake up for school and get ready and everything, but I never eat breakfast. Then I would go about my day and it would be break time in school and still I wouldn't eat (although it's only two hours after school starts anyway). Then lunch time would come an hour later and I still wouldn't eat even though everyone would tell me to. They don't get how stressed and sick it makes me feel just being around food in general; especially in public. Then I'd get home at around 5-ish and have some dinner (although it's usually just some chips or a waffle or two because I'm just not hungry but I need something to stop the hunger pains) and then maybe later on in the evening I would have something like popcorn or whatever just to show my family that I'm eating. Then, bed time (although I have insomnia so I don't really sleep at all).

My friends all try to shove food at me and try and force me to eat but it just makes me feel so uncomfortable and sick even just thinking about it. I don't know if this is classified as an eating disorder though. I mean, I'm not getting any skinnier even though I really need to and so desperately want to, and I don't really feel anything except maybe some mild dizziness occasionally or hunger pains. Even though the hunger pains are there though, I'm just not really hungry at all. Could it be the start of an ED, or are my friends just exaggerating?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13

Re: Eating disorder or just skipping a few meals? - April 19th 2015, 01:35 AM

Hey,

We can't really tell you for sure whether or not you have an eating disorder, but from what you described, it sounds like you might. My friend with an eating disorder talks about having really similar feelings towards food (that it makes her fell uncomfortable and stressed and sick). Even if it's not an ED, it sounds like you aren't eating enough if you have hunger pains and dizziness, but like I said, I can't really give you a definitive answer.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to talk to someone about how you feel about this and how you might go about finding out if you have an eating disorder and getting help if you do. You could ask a parent, school counselor, or doctor, to name a few options. Even if it turns out that there's nothing wrong and you just aren't very hungry, it's better to be safe than sorry. If you do have an eating disorder, it would be best if you got the help you need and deserve for it.

Hope you get this figured out. We're all here for you

~Estelle

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Breaking Point Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Eating disorder or just skipping a few meals? - April 19th 2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingstargirl View Post
Hey,

We can't really tell you for sure whether or not you have an eating disorder, but from what you described, it sounds like you might. My friend with an eating disorder talks about having really similar feelings towards food (that it makes her fell uncomfortable and stressed and sick). Even if it's not an ED, it sounds like you aren't eating enough if you have hunger pains and dizziness, but like I said, I can't really give you a definitive answer.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to talk to someone about how you feel about this and how you might go about finding out if you have an eating disorder and getting help if you do. You could ask a parent, school counselor, or doctor, to name a few options. Even if it turns out that there's nothing wrong and you just aren't very hungry, it's better to be safe than sorry. If you do have an eating disorder, it would be best if you got the help you need and deserve for it.

Hope you get this figured out. We're all here for you

~Estelle
Thank you for the reply
However, I just can't go to people... I feel physically sick around people and can't breathe or talk... That's why I'm so scared... If I did, which I don't think is true anyway, I wouldn't really be able to go to someone...
Thank you so much for trying to help. I really appreciate it
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
blackbelt1 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,043, Level: 10 Points: 5,043, Level: 10 Points: 5,043, Level: 10

Re: Eating disorder or just skipping a few meals? - April 19th 2015, 11:41 PM

Sounds sort of like it to me- although low weight is often an indicator of an eating disorder, you don't need to be underweight to have one. If your friends have noticed that you don't seem to be eating much and you get uncomfortable around food, that's most likely a sign. And some of the most harmful effects of undereating are not physically noticeable until it is too late. I would encourage you to talk to someone about how you are feeling so that you can sort everything out - and you can always private message me if you need to
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
LANIKA Offline
blue steel
Not a n00b

Name: Lanika

Points: 8,720, Level: 13 Points: 8,720, Level: 13 Points: 8,720, Level: 13

Re: Eating disorder or just skipping a few meals? - April 20th 2015, 06:40 AM

"because I'm just not hungry but I need something to stop the hunger pains"

I'll in agreement to what has already been said that we cannot diagnose you. However, your above quote really got my attention as it was painfully easy to relate to. It's an incredibly disordered way of thinking - One that I've heard from a lot of other individuals with eating disorders, too. Hunger pains is indicative of hunger, denying that you're hungry is an incredibly disordered way of thinking. And indeed, your general day-to-day pattern of eating is disordered as well.

In short, but I suppose unofficially - If I were to see the gist of your post without the question posed, I would assume something was the matter. Quite amiss with your health. I would assume you have an eating disorder.

This could be a good resource in determining whether or not you should talk to a professional about the possibility. I know you said you would be unable to do so, and I definitely do understand why - Trust me. I've been there. And I completely understand if it's not something you're READY to confront. Know that you're able to talk to us, though, and when you ARE ready to talk to somebody else - Everything will be okay.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dan11 Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 6,119, Level: 11 Points: 6,119, Level: 11 Points: 6,119, Level: 11

Re: Eating disorder or just skipping a few meals? - April 20th 2015, 07:39 AM

I haven't read the other replies so I hope I'm not repeating anything It sounds like you might have an eating disorder. I went a week before without barely eating anything. At the end of the week I had an aching headache and struggled to walk. I began to eat healthy and started to run and felt a lot healthier and happier. Trust me, it gets better I'm here for you if you ever need someone to talk to. It may be hard to overcome, but it can be done. If you need any advice or just someone to talk to about it you can PM me any time^_^
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Breaking Point Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Eating disorder or just skipping a few meals? - April 20th 2015, 06:14 PM

Thank you everyone for supporting me <3 And thanks for all the help ^-^
Closed Thread