TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
abreacti0n Offline
Scars are Silent Screams
Average Joe

Name: Maria

Points: 11,701, Level: 15 Points: 11,701, Level: 15 Points: 11,701, Level: 15

Losing weight after recovering from anorexia. - April 25th 2015, 08:13 PM

Hello everyone, I'm 18 years old and my name is Maria

Basically I had anorexia for a few years, and I only started eating well a bit more than a year ago, and I gained weight, lots of it.
Now I've been at a stable weight (my weight hasn't been changing) for about 5 months, but I don't feel comfortable in this weight. And I'm just about overweight according to the BMI scale.
I tried losing the weight healthily, by exercising and eating healthy, but my weight still didn't change.

I'm wondering if this happened to anyone? Did your weight move?
Thank you and have a good day

~ I am Lost Between Fighting and Giving Up ~

The light is always found at the end of a tunnel

Tumblr

PM / VM
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Losing weight after recovering from anorexia. - April 26th 2015, 12:28 AM

Hey!

There's a theory known as "set point" theory, and it's the idea that your body has a natural weight it's happiest at. When you're eating to your hunger cues this is around the weight you'll stay. If you diet, you'll lose weight but you'll gain it back when you go back to your previous lifestyle. The only way to change your set point is a permanent life style change.

Is your body happy at this weight? Do you have periods, feel full of energy, are you healthy? If you feel good, are eating well you're probably at your set point, especially since you've been eating healthily and exercising. The fact you're in recovery (I defined myself as "in recovery" for around 2 years after weight restoration) also suggests it's a bad idea to step into that way of life: giving any thought to dieting or body image whatsoever. There are differing opinions on this but mine stands that you shouldn't attempt weight loss until you're completely and utterly recovered, when the thought of missing a meal just sounds completely unappealing and when you're happy to eat snacks after exercising to regain energy. Because body acceptance is a part of recovery. This is your body. It fights everyday to keep you alive. You've done brilliantly to get where you are now, but I really wouldn't suggest trying to lose weight. You're strong, you've proven that, you've fought a very difficult battle. Just like it's unwise for alcoholics to test themselves with "just a bit" of alcohol it's really inadvisable to step back into the weight loss.

I'd say instead you should concentrate on accepting your body. It's more important to be healthy so you can be caring, compassionate and have a positive influence on others around you and enjoy life rather than concentrating on your appearance. I understand the temptation, I really do, I was at a similar stage as you and thought "well...I could get toned....?"...but the temptation to "well not eating this snack isn't exactly gonna hurt is it?" was there. This could be your ED manifesting as something else, so fight it.

In sort: my answer is not yet. I wouldn't risk it, but obviously it's your call. Focus on life and being happy and kind and sweet. Weight loss can come after, don't let that obsession eat any more into your teenage years (pun intended )

Laura xxx

Take as long as you need.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: Losing weight after recovering from anorexia. - April 26th 2015, 01:08 AM

Hey Maria,

Laura is right on about the set point theory. It's entirely possible that your body has reached that point and is simply in the maintenance phase now. It's also possible that your body is still adjusting to your new eating habits. When you skip meals and deprive your body of the nutrition that it needs for extended periods of time, it will start to go into conservation mode. This means that it will hold on to any nutrients that it can get, rather than digesting them normally, because it doesn't know when it will be provided with the things it needs to keep you alive again. While you have been eating healthy for almost a year (which is awesome!), your body may still be preserving most of the nutrients that you are giving it as a safety precaution.

Personally, I think it's in your best interest to keep doing what you're doing right now. If you're currently in a healthy place, it's best not to jeopardize that by beginning to diet. After all, you're still in recovery. A year is without a doubt an incredible amount of progress, but it's only the beginning of your journey. Because you're still in the early stages of recovery, there is a high risk of you reverting to your old behaviors once the diet mindset sets in. If you really want to lose the weight, talk to your doctor or a nutritionist. They'll be able to help you come up with a nutrition and exercise plan that will keep your body healthy while helping you reach a weight that you are more comfortable with. If you choose not to do that, just keep eating healthy and exercising. If the weight is supposed to come off, it will in its own time, which is much healthier for your body.

Remember this: You are not defined by the number on a scale or the category assigned to you by the BMI scale. Current researchers are actually beginning to realize the inaccuracies of the BMI scale, which you can read up on here and here. The point that I'm trying to make is this. If you're maintaining a healthy lifestyle, everything will be okay. It might take some adjustment, but you'll get there.

Take care!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
Closed Thread