TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThatOneGuyDead Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Conan

Points: 4,556, Level: 10 Points: 4,556, Level: 10 Points: 4,556, Level: 10

Question Eating Disorder of some sort? - March 17th 2016, 08:51 AM

I will mention first and foremost that I DO have Schizophrenia if it does somehow end up related to the problem at hand.

I've recently noticed (about a year ago "recent") that I only eat about twice a day and its usually nothing more than a single sandwich and maybe a handful of chips at best, and that is if I even eat all of it. As a male who has a fast metabolism you would think I would have an appetite like enough to eat a horse but I really don't, and I'm steadily losing weight (at a slow rate maybe a few pounds every couple of months) which is not really good thing considering I'm almost 20 but barely EDITEDand 5'5"

If something even vaguely negative/stressful happens my whole stomach stops and I can't eat anything for at least an hour or two, this can range from a text saying "we need to talk" to hearing a loud noise outside, from my hearing my mother arguing with her boyfriend to my girlfriend being slightly passive aggressive, from my thinking of bad scenarios to disappointing someone.

I never actually "feel" hungry, my stomach may growl and churn but I never actually get the hunger sensation, or at least not very strongly. Its so bad that I occasionally forget to eat for whole a day even, all because I didn't remember if I had eaten or not.

I hoard food as well, and will keep it long past expiration as long as its not extremely stale or moldy. I started doing this a few years ago honestly and it just progressively got worse and now I have a whole duffel bag filled with old food that I do eat on occasion. I tend to accumulate more than throw away or consume, and its confusing because I don't really know why but it started about the time my lack of eating did.

I used to LOVE sweets and could eat probably my body weight in food a day, but now I find just about all food disgusting to even look at let along taste or smell, eating is more of a mechanical process and an annoying and time consuming necessity than something to enjoy. I genuinely hate food, it all is essentially the same thing to me, boring flavor, boring texture, boring shape, boring color, and boring process that all ends the same.

I know these are not good signs, it doesn't seem like Anorexia or Bulimia, so what is it? Any help outside of the obvious and droll "see a psychiatrist" and "talk to a doctor" routine would be much obliged.

Last edited by Palmolive; March 17th 2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Weight numbers are not allowed on Teenhelp!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Eating Disorder of some sort? - March 17th 2016, 06:06 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here, I hope we can help you.

I agree with you that it does not sound like BED, anorexia or bulimia but could be EDNOS although I am not medically trained to diagnosis you.

Although to me, it sounds like stress it what's causing you not to eat and to me that's not an eating disorder. If you were having bad thoughts about your weight, the way you look, the way you feel or felt as though if you ate something bad would happen for example, then I would be bordering onto you maybe having an eating disorder but because it's not that, I think it's stress which is causing you to have less of an appetite.

My advice to you would be to work on how you can manage stressful situations like the ones you mentioned and your stress levels in general. Maybe if we can get you managing them and how to deal with these stressful situations then you'd feel more able to eat properly. Maybe it would be a good idea to see your doctor to learn ways to deal with stress. I know you don't want to hear that but that's my honest advice. People deal with stress in different ways like going for walks, writing how they feel, relaxation, mindfulness etc so these are all things you can try.

I really hope things start to look up for you if you need any more help feel free to reply to this!

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
Closed Thread