TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Points: 18,873, Level: 19 Points: 18,873, Level: 19 Points: 18,873, Level: 19

Do I have an eating disorder? - May 22nd 2010, 06:06 PM

I binge a lot. for the past 3 days I've just been eating until I feel sick. I binge when I'm really emotional and when things suck. It's been like that for a few months...and it's really scary and embarrassing. I don't purge after though and so is that still an eating disorder? do I have an eating disorder or is this just what fat kids do? I'm so confused. Should I tell my therapist?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Points: 17,480, Level: 19 Points: 17,480, Level: 19 Points: 17,480, Level: 19

Re: Do I have an eating disorder? - May 22nd 2010, 07:22 PM

On a very basic level, it would be considered an eating disorder. What specific category it would fall under would have to be determined by your doctor, although your therapist may have enough understanding to guide you.

Telling your therapist is ultimately your choice and it would be beneficial in helping you overall. Getting treatment may seem scary, but eating disorders, or disordered eating of any kind, can lead to long term health difficulties/issues.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: Do I have an eating disorder? - May 23rd 2010, 05:06 AM

We can't diagnose you, but from what you've described, it sounds like it could be. The best thing you can do is talk to your doctor, or therapist, and let them help you. Eating disorders can be detrimental to a person's health, and need proper, professional treatment, the sooner the better.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Do I have an eating disorder? - May 23rd 2010, 03:45 PM

I agree with the above posts. While I can't diagnose you, it sounds like it very well could be an eating disorder. Remember, you don't necessarily have to be starving or purging to have one, or to be endangering your health. I would recommend you talk to your therapist about this. The sooner you get treatment, the easier it will be to recover.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20

Re: Do I have an eating disorder? - May 24th 2010, 12:33 AM

Hey Jennifer--to echo what everyone else has said, it definitely sounds like you're exhibiting symptoms that are worth bringing up to a doctor. We can't tell you "yes/no, you do/don't have an eating disorder", so the next best thing is to encourage you to reach out to someone, like a doctor, who CAN make that diagnosis. That being said, I'm going to close this, as responses are likely to just become redundant. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Closed Thread