TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

View Poll Results: Have you ever gotten caught at the doctor with sh scars?
I am a minor, yes 7 25.00%
I am 18+, yes 5 17.86%
I am a minor, no 14 50.00%
I am 18+, no 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Meme123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,289, Level: 12 Points: 7,289, Level: 12 Points: 7,289, Level: 12

Unhappy Goin to the doctor with scars - July 27th 2012, 04:10 AM

Hey y'all so I used to self harm and I still hve old scars. My parents don't know I did it, and I don't want them to. I tried to cover the scars with makeup but it looks covered. U can tell. I'm going to Te doctor tomorrow and I'm scared the doc will c. Rather then wearing the paper gown with my be an underwear can I wear a tank top and shorts and say I'm uncomfortable cuz I'm on my period? They can't MAKE me take it off, can they? The scars r on my stomach amd thighs. Thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
lacylovebugg Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,052, Level: 13 Points: 8,052, Level: 13 Points: 8,052, Level: 13

Re: Goin to the doctor with scars - July 27th 2012, 05:14 AM

I have scars on my arm. Old. But everytime I give blood or have blood or my pulse taken or even blood pressure, I get asked about it or weird looks. I tell them I went through a lot and that I took care of it in ways that could have been better. They all understand, and that is the end. State laws are different, but in FL, you can not disclose patient information, even with parents, it is part of the HIPA law or something like that. It is a violation of privacy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: Goin to the doctor with scars - July 27th 2012, 06:24 AM

I had old scars on my thighs too last time I went. She did mention it to my parents, but like what was already said, state laws may prevent them from doing so if you ask them to keep it confidential. Of course, you can try and see if they'll let you wear a tank top and shorts, but in the end if he or she asks being honest is the best thing you can do.

I wish you the very best of luck!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Goin to the doctor with scars - July 27th 2012, 08:31 AM

Hey there,

I know that going to the doctor can be a very hard thing to do. I know that every time that I have to go to the doctor I get extremely anxious because I do not like people seeing my scars. Are you going to the doctor for a physical or just a regular check up because you are not feeling well? If you are going for a physical I believe that you have to wear one of those drapes so that they can do all the proper assessments that are necessary however I am not a doctor so I can not say for sure. I think you could definitely try asking the doctor or nurse (who ever tells you that you need to change) if you can stay in your tank top and shorts. If that turns out to not be an option do you think you can ask your doctor if they can examine you without a parent in the room? I don't know how that would work but if you were to tell the doctor that you would feel uncomfortable with your mom in there he/she might listen.

Another thing to consider is that while your scars may look extremely visible to you they might not be as visible to other people. I know I have a few scars on my hip that I can make out but if anyone else were to look in that area they would not even notice.

Lastly, if anything does come up about your scars just tell your doctor that you were going through a rough time but you have gotten that all taken care of and it is in the past. That is what I have been saying to my doctors for years now. I know it is scary having other people know about your past experience with self harm but your health is more important and so going to the doctors appointment will ensure that.

I hope this helped in some way and if you need anything feel free to pm me.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: Goin to the doctor with scars - July 27th 2012, 10:45 AM

I had this same issue not long ago when I had my physical and I was so scared about people seeing the scars on my thighs. The only people that know, besides you guys, are a few of my closest friends who have been a great support to me. I encourage you to reach out to someone you trust; if not your family, maybe a best friend, teacher, or a counselor? You could try to wear a tank top and shorts; if they are underclothes, they might allow it. Also, as mentioned above, the laws in states are different so try to find out if your doctor will keep if confidential (if he/she finds out). As far as covering them up, I too tried make up and you could tell a bit, but no one noticed for me. You could always do what this girl on youtube did and try to put A LITTLE bit of lotion on top of the make up. Not too much or the make up will come off, but it makes it blend in a bit more with your skin. You will also want to dab it on or again, the make up will probably come off. I hope this helps, and I wish you luck.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Goin to the doctor with scars - July 27th 2012, 10:54 AM

I clicked minor because although I'm 19, I went to the doctor many times as a minor with cuts on my arms and legs and they didn't even notice. I kept wrist bands on my wrists, and the scars on my legs are not terribly noticeable.

something burning?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18

Re: Goin to the doctor with scars - July 30th 2012, 09:31 PM

I chose 18+, yes because I am over 18 now, but they also saw them when I was under 18. They never really asked in much detail as I was there for other things ie jabs, so they ignored them really. Try not to worry... they likely won't say anything or if they do, they might just ask if you want to talk to someone.

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
SarahKnox9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,979, Level: 12 Points: 6,979, Level: 12 Points: 6,979, Level: 12

Re: Goin to the doctor with scars - August 1st 2012, 11:47 PM

so unless i go to a weird doctor they usually take a urine sample. so if you lie to them about being on your period they would most likely know because of having to blood in it or would be suspicious of your high iron levels.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Ask me :)

Points: 17,856, Level: 19 Points: 17,856, Level: 19 Points: 17,856, Level: 19

Re: Goin to the doctor with scars - August 2nd 2012, 03:49 PM

Hey

I think it depends on the reasons that you're going to the doctors. I know howyou're feeling, I get nervous everytime I go to the doctors though but as said before scars that i notice, other people might not unless they are pointed out. Ask the nurse or doctor if you can stay in your tank top and shorts, the worst thing they can do is say no.
If they do say something about your scars just be honest, it's easier than lying. Just say you went through a rough time, just don't panic. At the end of the day it's their job and i'm sure they've seen it all before, they just want to help you.

Try not to worry too much, I'm sure it will be fine.
Feel free to PM me if you ever want/need to talk
Take care and good luck

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3
Closed Thread