TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Medication amounts - December 2nd 2012, 03:14 AM

Hey guys,

Jenna and I were discussing something that we see a lot all over the forum, specifically in blogs, but I also see it a lot in Depression and Suicide along with chat. We've seen some inconsistencies with editing out medication amounts. Now, for overdoses, we noticed that these are fairly often edited out, such as here (report here.) However, it is not edited out here, nor is there a Triggering-prefix.

Now, we were wondering if there is an official rule about medication amount, along with things such as laxatives or alcohol amounts like this blog right here for laxatives, things that are not usually deadly but can be.

1) Should we edit out all overdoses?
Obviously, overdose amounts are triggering, along with could inspire other ideas out of our users, such as finding out that x amount of something is deadly.

2) Should we edit out all amounts?
While I understand that some amounts may be clearly asking for advice, such as wanting advice from the amount of medication, we are not doctors and I'm not sure it's ever actually necessary for advice. But that's why I wanted the opinion!

3) Triggering-prefix all amounts?
This could be a good inbetween, but it still allows the larger ones here.

Thanks mods!

something burning?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Medication amounts - December 2nd 2012, 03:40 AM

1) Should we edit out all overdoses?
I think that yeah, overdoses should be edited. I have been triggered by them and you're right it can inspire ideas, such as to take even more than that user did, or to find out that x amount is deadly.

2) Should we edit out all amounts?

You're right that we aren't doctors. For some medications like over-the-counter stuff, just follow the directions on the back of the box/bottle and it should give you a recommended dosage. You can have someone saying that taking more than prescribed or something is fine. But this one I'm on the fence about and could go either way, so I'll wait for more opinions.

3) Triggering-prefix all amounts?
Well, I think overdose amounts should be edited, so. If they're edited they wouldn't be there anymore to have a prefix.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: Medication amounts - December 2nd 2012, 01:34 PM

Yes, take out all overdose amounts, they're triggering and give ideas
If someone says only "Take Xmg of this" then I'd also post to say we're not doctors and one should be consulted. Other stuff like "I'm on Xmg of this" is fine.
As for triggering, if it's still triggering without the numers, add a prefix. If not, just leave it.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
Closed Thread