TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dean_novak Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: dean novak

Points: 5,647, Level: 11 Points: 5,647, Level: 11 Points: 5,647, Level: 11

Unhappy doctor saw my scars - August 7th 2014, 06:57 AM

I was having shots given and I was wearing shorts he saw my scars and my step mom was in the room they [my parents] have seen them but never really say anything about them because I am very against any talks with adults about that kind of stuff he asked me if they were self harm scars putting me on the spot and I about had a panic attack (I have anxiety issues that I haven't talked to a doctor about) and I had to say yes and he asked why i didnt say anything my step mom said "shes not going to say anything especialy with me here" point of the story do you think they don't talk to me about it is because they don't care or what because I already get the vibe that they care less about me than my ex step mom who was an abusive drug addict I don't know what to think
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: doctor saw my scars - August 7th 2014, 01:19 PM

Hi there and welcome to TeenHelp!

You mentioned that you don't talk to them about this stuff because you're against speaking to adults about these things. If your parents don't already know that, they can probably see or sense your apprehension to talking about this topic. Parents don't often react in the best way; sometimes they are shocked and their initial reaction is to say nothing. Other times they may lecture; it depends on the parent. I definitely think they care, I just think that they are unaware of how they want to face the situation.

You can help them with this by sitting them down and speaking to them about your scars and self-harm. If you're afraid of their reaction, you can do this in a public place. You could also write a note, or see your doctor and ask for his advice. If you tell them how you feel, you'll be able to receive the help that you need and deserve to get through this. You don't have to do this alone.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: doctor saw my scars - August 7th 2014, 09:06 PM

Hey there,

I don't think it is necessarily because your parents don't care. Parents react in a lot of different ways. Some of them may not realize the severity of the situation, and some may realize that a person doesn't want to talk about it. Other parents prefer waiting for their children to come to them to talk about it. Or, sometimes parents are just afraid and don't really know what to say about it.

I agree with Cassie about talking to your parents, or at least someone, about the self harm. Maybe you can ask them why they never said anything if they knew about it?

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: doctor saw my scars - August 7th 2014, 10:58 PM

Hey there,

If they know that you are uncomfortable talking about it they might not want to approach you about it. When parents realize that their child is self harming they have a lot of different reactions to it and some tend to ignore it until their child brings it up to them. This doesn't mean that they don't care it simply means that they are unsure how to best approach the situation or are trying to handle it in a way that makes you the most comfortable.

I do think it would be a good idea for you to try and talk to them about this so that you could try to work on getting some support for the self harm.

Wishing you the best of luck and if you need anything feel free to message me.
Closed Thread