TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Doctor says I'm a little underweight but I can take advantage of this and build muscle how do I build muscle like what do i eat etc - June 8th 2016, 09:13 AM

Hi I went to the doctors as I have not been eating good and lost a load of weight he has told me to gain some weight but he said if I want to to be smart then I would instead of doing a ton of cardio everyday I should do some weight training. How much cardio should I be doing and how much weight training each day?
What should I be eating? He said protein but what is that? Fish? Chicken? What should I avoid eating? What type of weight training should I be looking at to build muscle in my tummy and body area? Thanks! Bare in mind I'm a 19 year old male also how much protein do I need to be eating per day if I go everyday to the gym like I normally do.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17

Re: Doctor says I'm a little underweight but I can take advantage of this and build muscle how do I build muscle like what do i eat etc - June 8th 2016, 09:44 AM

Hello!
well, I would recommend around 30 minutes of cardio. Since your goal is muscle building, go for short interval training rather than long training sessions.
With the weights, split the week into "days". One day is to rest. Others, should be arms, chest, legs, abs and back. Start with body weights, such as pushups, pullups, crunches, plank, dips, sit ups. And do light weights, such as bicep curls, tricep extension, bit of the bench press. Keep the weights light, because you can cause serious injury if you take it too high too soon. Also, have an experienced person check your posture to avoid injury. That is a good starting point.
Depending on how your body adjusts, increase the intensity, but only after 2-3 weeks in my opinion.
Avoid doing the same muscle group consecutively. Muscle becomes bigger after it gets some rest.

Now to the Diet. Protein is like, chicken, turkey, fish etc. Since you are trying to avoid putting on fat, I'd say stick to fish, turkey and chicken breast (thats my order of preference). Avoid frying food, rather grill, steam, or boil it. Milk has protein too, and I find it to be very helpful when i work out. I would say eat protein for two meals. EG: A chicken sandwich for lunch, and grilled turkey and rice for dinner. That sorta thing. If you toss in milk thats great! Also, if you dont want to eat rice for dinner, you can swap it for qunoia (hope I spelt it right).
Don't forget to have carbs. Your body needs energy too. So make sure those go in.
Hope this helps.
Best of luck with the workout mate.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Doctor says I'm a little underweight but I can take advantage of this and build muscle how do I build muscle like what do i eat etc - June 10th 2016, 04:44 PM

It concerns me that you're putting this thread (along with your last thread about how much to eat to "basically live") in the eating disorders forum but not addressing that issue. Do you believe you lost weight in a healthy way? Are you dealing with body image difficulties? Have you been engaging in disordered eating? I can give you advice about putting on lean weight, but I feel that may be an elephant in the room that you're not addressing.

something burning?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Re: Doctor says I'm a little underweight but I can take advantage of this and build muscle how do I build muscle like what do i eat etc - June 11th 2016, 07:54 PM

No not at all I don't really see how my threads relate to that I'm just asking for advice in order to stay healthy and asking for advice regarding what my doctor has told me.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Doctor says I'm a little underweight but I can take advantage of this and build muscle how do I build muscle like what do i eat etc - June 11th 2016, 09:49 PM

I agree with Traci . you need to address the problem first. Before anything else can happen.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Doctor says I'm a little underweight but I can take advantage of this and build muscle how do I build muscle like what do i eat etc - June 12th 2016, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmethehorizon♥ View Post
No not at all I don't really see how my threads relate to that I'm just asking for advice in order to stay healthy and asking for advice regarding what my doctor has told me.
I think Traci and Frankie are just concerned that this is in the eating disorders forum- where those suffering with eating disorders seek advice, and as such, are inferring (as I would too) that you're struggling with disordered eating/thoughts. If this isn't the case, perhaps you'll receive more relevent advice in the general health forum!

Take as long as you need.
Closed Thread