TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

What to do when doctors contradict each other? - September 7th 2019, 12:05 AM

I've been seeing a lot of doctors lately for a lot of different things, and none of them are really giving me any answers. It started last fall and has been a nonstop issue ever since.

Some of my providers have been concerned about my tachycardia, or too fast heart rate. I saw a cardiologist who had me on a monitor and said it's all anxiety, so I'm on a new medication that lowers the heart rate and also can have added benefits of helping me with my anxiety and helping prevent some of my migraines. Apparently I've been tachycardia since 2011 though?

I recently saw an endocrinologist who I thought was pretty good. She wasn't concerned about the fact that I had high thyroid levels and wasn't convinced that I had hypothyroidism. She looked at my prolactin levels and wanted them retested because I either had a prolactinoma, which is a benign tumor on the pituitary gland that makes it spit out too much hormone which is causing my menstrual issues, or it's just that my body isn't tolerating my birth control well and I need an IUD because I'm currently on the highest level of hormones in my birth control pill they give to people of reproductive age

Well, my hormone levels are normal so, based on what she told me, I needed an IUD. So I called my gynecologist and she doesn't think that the IUD is right for me. Besides the difficulty she'd have inserting the IUD due to vaginismus, the birth control pill helps me regulate my moods at least a little bit so while I'm still a mess during my period, I'm not as much of one. She also said she's not concerned about my hormone levels. So, contradiction number 1.

I also saw a new medication person to hopefully manage my medication better. She requires bloodwork of all new patients to rule out any medical issues, which is fine with me. I appreciate that because it means she's being thorough. I showed her my previous bloodwork including my thyroid levels and she literally said "That's bullshit. You totally have hypothyroidism." She said my endocrinologist and other doctors aren't treating me right and aren't listening to me just because I'm young. She wants me to see a new endocrinologist and she called the office on the spot to say she wants me seen soon. So, contradiction number 2.She also ordered the routine bloodwork to recheck my thyroid levels and other stuff. The bloodwork bruised like a mofo, lol. Here's hoping it's worth it, but I have my doubts at this point.

One of my favorite professors thinks a lot of what I'm doing is self-induced and that maybe a part of me "wants" to be sick, and that really hurts. I understand that besides my migraines still being there and my menstrual issues a lot of my symptoms subsided over the summer, but they weren't gone completely. I hate that people are calling me crazy or thinking nothing is wrong with me. I'm not crazy, am I?

I don't know what to do with all these contradictions though! How do I handle it when the advice doctors give me contradicts each other? I don't know where to go from here.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: What to do when doctors contradict each other? - September 11th 2019, 06:53 PM

Hey Dez,

Sorry for the late reply. It must be really difficult for you to be bounced around to different health professionals only to find they contradict one another! Perhaps though this shows that sometimes professionals don't always get things right or agree on things and that some health issues aren't always so obvious to diagnose and treat. Though this doesn't help you with how to deal with contradicting professionals, it might help to keep things in perspective a bit.

Are you comfortable with seeing a new endocrinologist? If you are, then it might be worth going along and seeing what they have to say. Either your original endocrinologist was right and your new medication person wasn't, or the other way around. Though it can be confusing the more professionals that get involved, you may also be able to see which of your possible health issues is more accurate (the more professionals that can agree, the more likely the diagnosis/treatment option is correct).

I'm really sorry to hear that one of your favourite professors thinks a lot of what you are doing is self-induced and that you want to be sick. It's very understandable that you would've been upset on hearing this. Mental health is often compared to physical health in the sense that mental health is seen to be more complex e.g. you wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg to 'get over' it. But this devalues just how complicated physical health can be at times. They are also interlinked and this leads onto the next point that you mention a lot of your symptoms got better in the summer- stress can affect your physical health and cause many real physical symptoms, which can partly resolve when your stress levels go down. That doesn't mean to say that the physical symptoms aren't real though. You're not crazy, or making any of this up.

Keep us updated if it helps and hope others can chime in with some encouraging advice!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: What to do when doctors contradict each other? - September 11th 2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Are you comfortable with seeing a new endocrinologist? If you are, then it might be worth going along and seeing what they have to say. Either your original endocrinologist was right and your new medication person wasn't, or the other way around. Though it can be confusing the more professionals that get involved, you may also be able to see which of your possible health issues is more accurate (the more professionals that can agree, the more likely the diagnosis/treatment option is correct).
I'm seeing a new woman for medication management who is a family nurse practitioner who experienced a lot of similar issues medically and also with trying to find someone to listen to her when she was my age, and she really wants me to get a second opinion so she sent a referral over to someone, who should be calling me soon. How should I explain everything that's already been done and explain my frustration? The medication management doctor wants me to ask them if it would be unreasonable to put me on a low dose of thyroid medication to see if it helps

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: What to do when doctors contradict each other? - September 17th 2019, 08:39 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Has the new endocrinologist called yet?

If you haven't already spoken to the new person, I'd suggest making a bullet point list of things that have happened up to this point, including the contradictions. If they aren't already aware, it's good to make them know at the start of the conversation that they are your second opinion. Let them know that you are seeking a second opinion because you are frustrated with the contradictions and just want some (preferably) definitive answers and treatment options- including whether the low dose of thyroid medication is recommended or not.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Really hope that things get sorted for you soon and that the new endocrinologist can help!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Mirabye Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mirra

Points: 1,339, Level: 5 Points: 1,339, Level: 5 Points: 1,339, Level: 5

Re: What to do when doctors contradict each other? - May 27th 2020, 11:04 PM

Take tests and look for an accurate diagnosis.
Closed Thread