TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
veggirl21 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,620, Level: 12 Points: 7,620, Level: 12 Points: 7,620, Level: 12

Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 18th 2012, 12:58 PM

Okay, so here's the deal: in my state, the age of consent is 18 and there's no close-in-age clause for under that age.

So, if two 16-year-olds are having sex (willingly and somewhat secretly, ahem, parents don't know), and the one of the teens goes to the doctor (and tells the doc, obv.), is there any chance legal action could be brought upon the couple?

While technically it's against the law, there have to be worse things to be worried about. But do doctors have to report this if the person admits they're sexually active and obviously under the age of consent? If so, what's the worst that can happen?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
thebigman Offline
monky
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,976, Level: 13 Points: 7,976, Level: 13 Points: 7,976, Level: 13

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 18th 2012, 01:32 PM

as long as your the same age it's not against the law. even if you're under the age of consent.and a doctor legally cannot report but. they will have to tell your parents. I know this because I once went to get blood work done. and there was still alcohol in my system.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 18th 2012, 03:01 PM

I would double check that it's certainly against the law. Most places, although they have strict laws for age on consent, they generally don't apply to two MINORS of the same age having sex. If they do, no one really gives a shit.

If that's the case, which I bet it is, worst that could happen? They tell your parents. But, if the doctor is a cool guy, there's a good chance he won't. Obviously Doctor-Patient confidentiality doesn't apply to minors, but a lot of doctors don't feel the need to tell your parents every little thing. They'd rather you be honest with them, and only tell parents if they believe you're in danger or are sick. I've had numerous doctors ask my mom to leave the room so they could ask me questions like that, knowing I would never answer truthfully if she was there.

Alcohol is one thing, it's against the law, and most people view it as more dangerous. Sex isn't, it's just something teenagers do.

However, you'd have to figure out how you're going to pay for it. It's not always cheap, and if you plan to use insurance, your parents will certainly know you at least went to the doctor without them, and thus get suspicious.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 18th 2012, 06:52 PM

http://www.enotes.com/healthcare-ref...eatment-minors

This website I've provided for you will give you more detailed information on the treatment of minors. Since both of you are 16, I don't think anything legal can happen to you, but there is a chance the doctor might still tell your parents. However, it depends on the state. On the website, you'll read that twenty-five states allow minors to go to the doctor for contraceptive purposes without the knowledge of your parents. I'd do a more detailed search for your state or country. If you're from the UK, health care is free, therefore you could go to the doctor without your parents knowing it all, without having to worry that the bill will show up on insurance invoices when the time comes. But, if you're from the states, I'd check out the different laws for your specific one. However, you can also go to this website, www.plannedparenthood.org They are medical professionals that give our contraceptives sometimes for free, or at a reduced price. It's worth giving the website a look over, and you can do that without your parents consent or knowledge.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
veggirl21 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 18th 2012, 07:42 PM

Let me clear up that I'm not looking for a way to get to the doctor without my parents knowing, I just meant if already there for a checkup or w/e, would the doctors report it... And the general consensus is that the worst that will happen is the doctor will tell the parents.

Thanks everybody.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 18th 2012, 08:21 PM

If they feel something is life threatening, they may report it. However, I doubt they would if you just mentioned you were sexually active. They probably will ask you this question anyway, regardless if you are there for a check up or another reason.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 19th 2012, 12:40 AM

I agree with Shannon.

Doctors don't have to report teenagers having sex - and what age they do it. Thats not there job. There job is to treat people (health wise). In most cases, as Shannon Said, If it is not a life threatening case, they wont say anything.

And as another person said - usually the age of consent is mainly protecting kids from having sex with other people (ex: 16 having sex with a 19 or 20 year old, while the age of consent is 18). I find it very rare that even police officers say anything to teens about sex. Actually, in most cases police officers would give you a high five for having sex (although I'm male so there may be a difference there). Again, this can also depend on location.

To wrap up what I said, Doctors don't really care what you do - as long as its not hurting you or others (life threatening). And the same for police officers as long as its within the law and your respectful about (Don't have sex outside - do it inside). Remember, police officers and Doctors were once this age too - they know how it is and in most cases have 'fooled' around with others at this age aswell.

I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Best wishes,
Chris

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
— Malala Yousafzai
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 19th 2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman View Post
as long as your the same age it's not against the law. even if you're under the age of consent.and a doctor legally cannot report but. they will have to tell your parents. I know this because I once went to get blood work done. and there was still alcohol in my system.
Title 13-1407 Paragraph F

F. It is a defense to prosecution pursuant to section 13-1405 if the victim is of the age of fifteen, sixteen or seventeen, the defendant is less than nineteen years of age or attending high school and is no more than twenty-four months older than the victim and the conduct is consensual.

It is still punishable, but the age similarity can be taken into account, yet, it is still illegal.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
veggirl21 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 19th 2012, 12:46 PM

Guile, may I as which state statute that's from? (I assume that's where it's from?) Hehe, my dad's a lawyer, but I can't exactly ask him!
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 19th 2012, 07:45 PM

A doctor isn't going to take legal action against you because you and your same-age partner are having sex. But like someone else said, they may tell your parents if they feel it should be a concern of theirs, especially if there is a health problem. Honestly, though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's really important to be going to the doctor if you are sexually active, so I wouldn't let those fears deter you from getting proper health care.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Points: 32,255, Level: 25 Points: 32,255, Level: 25 Points: 32,255, Level: 25

Re: Age of consent/going to the doctor? - January 20th 2012, 02:51 AM

Doctors will typically not report it. They only ask for health reasons. There is also patient confidentiality, which means they cannot tell anyone other than people you give permission to unless it's harmful to you.
Closed Thread