TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15

Gray area concerning recreational marijuana? - January 16th 2017, 09:03 PM

Maybe it's not so gray, but I just want another opinion. I am of legal age to purchase and use recreational marijuana in Colorado and so I have several times over the past few years. However, in my home state, recreational marijuana usage is still prohibited. If you use in a state where it's legal, but live and work where it's not, is it a conflict of interest? What would you do in this situation?

I guess I'm not too concerned personally since my job doesn't drug test and I'm mature enough to be responsible with my drug and alcohol consumption, but I just wanted to see what other people's opinions on this are.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: Gray area concerning recreational marijuana? - January 17th 2017, 01:16 AM

This is a very interesting topic you have brought up. I want to give an example before answering your questions.

I live in Ontario. The legal age to drink is 19. However, I live a bridge away to Quebec and the drinking age is 18. Many Ontario new 18 year Olds would cross the bridge to Quebec to drink as it is legal there. However, once you cross the bridge and you are found intoxicated you can be charged. Even if you purchase alcohol and bring it across the bridge into Ontario. If you are stopped with unopened alcohol you are charged with drinking or having possession of alcohol on person.

This may also apply in your states. You might be close to a state and it's legal to smoke marijuana which would be okay since it would be legal there. However, once you are in the state where it is illegal then all laws apply to that regardless if you bought it in another state.

You are an adult so you can make your own choices so saying you shouldn't have marijuana isn't my place to say. You are aware of the laws. To me I don't think police or law enforcement really cares that much if you have very little on you. I mean here, if you have X amount you can be charged. Usually they give you a warning. However, I am not aware how the law enforcement works where you are.

Usually, smoking alone in your home is fine in these cases.

**For those who are underage and where it's illegal to purchase marijuana it doesn't mean you should smoke Marijuana. Follow the laws and if a area allows Marijuana use to ensure you follow the laws of age or if you have it for medical purposes by a medical professional.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,535, Level: 18 Points: 16,535, Level: 18 Points: 16,535, Level: 18

Re: Gray area concerning recreational marijuana? - January 17th 2017, 03:37 AM

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with smoking weed. I think it should be legalized and taxed everywhere just like alcohol and cigarettes.

You are not breaking state law in the state in which you work if you smoke weed in Colorado - however, unfortunately, largely because marijuana is still illegal under federal law, employers can still fire you (even in Colorado) for failing a marijuana urine screen.

Also- if you have any marijuana that was legal in Colorado, it is illegal to bring that into the state where you work- there is no understanding or exceptions for that in any neighboring state ( I think- I know at least nebraska and oklahoma don't see this as any different as having weed you bought illegally and it is now legal in nevada). Other than maybe Arizona and New Mexico (idk anything about this state), the other (non-legal) states bordering Colorado seem pretty restrictive when it comes to marijuana. In fact, Nebraska and Oklahoma tried to file a federal lawsuit last year (which the supreme court refused to hear) against Colorado for legalizing marijuana.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: Gray area concerning recreational marijuana? - January 18th 2017, 09:03 AM

My only concern is do you use marijuana to escape stress, or just for fun?

Using drugs to escape stress is what leads to addiction.

Otherwise, if just for fun and you're not stressed to begin with then it should be OK.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15

Re: Gray area concerning recreational marijuana? - January 18th 2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del677 View Post
My only concern is do you use marijuana to escape stress, or just for fun?

Using drugs to escape stress is what leads to addiction.

Otherwise, if just for fun and you're not stressed to begin with then it should be OK.
I personally don't believe that marijuana has too many negative side effects and is one of the safer substances to use even compared to alcohol and tobacco as it does not have the same physical dependency. I use it recreationally so I guess both for fun and to relieve stress, but that's like most of my recreational activities -- I do it because it's fun and relieves stress, haha.
Closed Thread