TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Danni

Points: 9,892, Level: 14 Points: 9,892, Level: 14 Points: 9,892, Level: 14

Weed dependance - March 17th 2021, 07:28 PM

I have had previous problems with weed, but recently moved to college and it was a lot easier to not get high because I was in a new environment and was doing so much. But the more the term wound down, the more I was using again until I was smoking at least once a day practically every day. I could see myself spiraling with it, but just didn't know how to stop.

Now, it's the only thing that gives me the motivation to get out of bed during the day. I tell myself every morning that I need just a one day break, but can't even manage to do that. It's the only thing that allows me to get through everyday and I can see it really starting to affect other aspects of my life. I've gained weight, I rarely speak to my family anymore, I go out with friends less often and my grades aren't as good as they could be.

I really want to start limiting how much I have or how often, but don't even know where to start. The end of the term is here and I will be here alone for spring break so that would be a great time to focus on me, but I know the only thing that'll bring me any enjoyment in that time will be getting high. Where do I even start?

Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end- John Lennon❤️❤️

Last edited by Ennui.; March 18th 2021 at 12:29 AM. Reason: I removed the thread in the other forum and kept this one :)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Weed dependance - March 27th 2021, 12:58 PM

I'm really sorry no one has replied to your thread yet.

Being honest, I admit I haven't had much experience with weed, but hopefully I can still provide some level of support. I don't want you thinking your questions and concerns have gone unnoticed!

You mentioned that you feel like you can't seem to go a day without smoking weed. Have you considered that right now, your window for stopping is too large? Rather than trying to stop for a whole day, monitor the amount of hours in between each time you get an urge to smoke, and each time you actually do. This way your goal won't seem as large, and this way you can measure yourself in a much shorter, manageable time length.

Do any of your friends/family know about your situation? I understand that discussing it may be quite difficult, especially if you're concerned that they may not take your news very well. If you do feel there's someone you could speak to, I would definitely at least try and open up to one person. Not just because of how it may benefit you mentally to have someone are of what's going on, but for your physical health as well. Imagine if you were high and something happened to you such as if you got injured. If nobody knows what's been going on, it's less likely anybody will be aware enough to help you. Even if you feel that you're unable to speak to a family member or friend, see if your college has some sort of guidance counsellor whom you may be able to confide in. Perhaps they may be able to help point you on the right track towards recovery.

During your spring break, see if you can plan out some activities for yourself. Especially ones that involve the outdoors. This way you're getting some fresh air into your lungs, you're getting exercise to help combat your weight gain, and being outdoors may help give you some clarity.

You've taken the first step in looking to get help for your problem, don't stop there! Remember that you have people who care about you. Keep going and don't be afraid to seek the help of a professional.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Weed dependance - March 28th 2021, 04:20 PM

Hi Danni,

First of all, it's great that you've been able to acknowledge that your relationship with weed may be problematic. While weed isn't physically addictive, it can be psychologically addictive making it difficult to stop using.

By the sound of it, you may do best by slowly decreasing your usage. If you can't go a day without it at the moment, that's okay, try to cut down on how much or how often you use each day, then slowly taper your usage down from there - once a day, once every two days, once every three days, etc and reward yourself for meeting these milestones! Even small things like your favourite candy or treat, ordering in a takeout, etc.

On the topic of rewards, it often helps to have a "bigger" reward to look forward to - something you've been wanting to buy but haven't been able to justify, something you've really wanted to do, etc. You're going to be saving money not having to buy as much weed (and eventually any at all) so in the short term, while you're quitting but that extra cash towards saving for this big reward (if possible).

If weed is where you get most of your entertainment and enjoyment from you're going to have to plan out other activities and things to keep you occupied. Do this before you start to quit so you have ideas at the ready when you're feeling the urge to use. Like Sarah said, during spring break plan some fun activities for yourself - go for a hike, take yourself on a movie or dinner date, etc. If you have any old hobbies you no longer spend time on due to school or weed use then focus on bringing those back into your life. Try journaling, start a new craft or other skill-based activity like playing an instrument, baking, knitting, etc.

Work on scheduling more time in general for doing the hobbies and things you love and the things that are good for helping you get back to a more healthy lifestyle - like exercise, calling your friends and family more, hobbies. Exercise in particular does amazing things in terms of helping distract from cravings and improving overall mental health.

Quitting is going to be difficult, you recognize that which is a great start but if you set yourself up for success by planning things out beforehand you'll be better equipt to deal with any of the cravings or urges to use.

Most importantly, a slip-up does not mean you've messed up your entire plan to quit. Slip ups are a normal part of trying to quit or form any new habit. If you slip-up and use outside of the plan you set up for yourself, take a breath, remind yourself that this is all a part of the process, and continue with your plan. That slip-up doesn't mean you failed, it's hopeless, etc it means your human and you're doing something that is difficult. The important part is to keep trying and not let that get in the way of you continuing your plan to quit.

All the best!

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread