TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jordan

Points: 5,646, Level: 11 Points: 5,646, Level: 11 Points: 5,646, Level: 11

My parents are divorcing - August 25th 2014, 04:43 AM

I recently learned that my parents are splitting up because my dad is in love with someone else. Because of this, my mother, siblings, and I are most likely moving 2000 miles away to be with my mom's family. Any advice or motivational words?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13

Re: My parents are divorcing - August 25th 2014, 06:58 AM

Hey there Jordan,

I'm sorry about your parents divorcing. It must be rather difficult for you.

But this could be for the best. Instead of having two people in a marriage that does not make them happy, they're both free and on their own. Your mother, no matter if she does or does not have feelings for anyone else, would not be happy in a marriage with someone who does not love her.

You also need to remember that this does not have any indication on the love that your parents have for you. They both love you, and even if you are moving away, you will still see your dad and be able to spend time with him if you want to.

Feel free to message me if you would like to talk

Kyra
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23

Re: My parents are divorcing - August 25th 2014, 12:00 PM

Hey Jordan,

I am sorry that you're having to go through this right now. It's a big change and a lot of upheval, but try to think of all the positive things, you'll get to spend more time with your mum's family and you will get to make plenty of new friends. Unfortunately this is something that is out of your control. Is there anyway that you could stay with your dad if you didn't want to move away? None of this is your fault and plenty of people experience the same thing through life, you just have to know that there isn't anything any of you or your siblings could do to prevent this and it doesn't change how your dad feels about you.

Best of luck to you, and I'm always here if you need anything.
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
weaved1 Offline
fruit loop
Average Joe

Name: --

Points: 6,606, Level: 11 Points: 6,606, Level: 11 Points: 6,606, Level: 11

Re: My parents are divorcing - August 25th 2014, 12:11 PM

Look, I'm not going to spray this thread with false platitudes and nonsensical pleasantries. All I'm going to say is that shit happens, move along, life isn't easy and that new opportunities can grow from this predicament. Good luck and may you tread on new stepping stones of life.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: My parents are divorcing - August 25th 2014, 05:35 PM

Hey Jordan, your situation mirrors mine except that I was only 8. This is going to be a major adjustment to say the least, but it will get easier once you get settled. What you struggle with will really depend on your individual situation and how you feel about it. If you have any questions, feel free to reply or PM me (click on my username and then Send Private Message to... in the drop down menu)

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount13

Edit avatar

Re: My parents are divorcing - August 25th 2014, 07:33 PM

Hi, Jordan.

I'm sorry to hear that your parents are divorcing. I imagine this might potentially be really difficult for you to deal with. Especially since it's a huge change in your life. Once you get settled in such a new environment, it's important to work through your feelings. Make sure you don't bottle anything up, talk to those around you about how you're feeling. Find emotional outlets in hobbies, creative writing, drawing or painting. Aside from that, might be a good idea to get a pet once you get settled if you don't already have one. Such as a puppy or a kitten to help you feel more comforted during all this. It can be really nice taking care of a pet and having companionship.

Lastly, I really believe that once the weirdness of all this blows over and you get settled in, it could possibly feel exciting being in a whole new place. I thought I'd mention that even with all this going on, your parents do still love you. If you'd like, you can keep in contact with your dad and visit when possible. In the meantime, you can always get support here at TeenHelp. And if you need someone to talk to, you can message me anytime. I'd be happy to listen and try to help if I can. Just hang in there, even though this is difficult, everything will be okay eventually.
Closed Thread