TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nessie2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,135, Level: 9 Points: 4,135, Level: 9 Points: 4,135, Level: 9

I feel like my parents are tired of me. - January 31st 2019, 03:42 PM

Hey, everyone.

So now, I am 16 years old, and I just finished writing my first semester exams for 11th grade. While I'm confident that I did well and whatnot and my marks are splendid, I still have lots of concerns. Specifically with my immediate family. And it's tilting me off the face of the planet.

I criticize myself for my mistakes. A lot. I also rumour that, on top of my autism spectrum disorder that I was diagnosed with at the age of 2, I have a wide range of other mental issues. However, every time I try to mention feeling really down and out to my parents, I'll always be defeated by their toxic ideology - 'nothing is wrong with you, don't be so ridiculous'. Not to mention that the wait time for mental resources in my county is almost a full year's worth of time on average, so, I can't get help for my issues in the first place! Also, whenever I make what I view to be a valid criticism of my actions, whether it be minor like failing to prepare food correctly or a little more major such as my grades, both parents get angry with me, and claim that I'm being nothing but 'negative and demanding of pity'. Yet, I don't understand. I don't feel like I get enough attention, sure, but... pity? Really? Just recently, when I stated that I didn't know what I was good at (I haven't decided on career options, while everyone else in the house except for my baby brother has), my stepmother lunged very close to me, pointed her finger in my face, and said "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK! NOW YOU GO DOWN TO YOUR ROOM AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE SAID BEFORE YOU COME AND SEE ME AGAIN." I don't know what to say; my parents are not assisting and upholding me. Isn't that what they're supposed to be here for?

So, while I worry about my future incessantly, and not sure who I can talk to about career choices, I'm also on the very verge of running away from home for a few days. If one more branch breaks, it's the final straw - I'm packing my bags and getting the fuck out of that house. I don't care what happens, I'm fed up with this.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: I feel like my parents are tired of me. - February 5th 2019, 11:43 AM

Hey there,

I'm really sorry to hear about what you're going through! That sounds really hard. It's perfectly normal to be confused about your career path at your age, and I agree that it's important that you have support during this time. I'm sorry that your parents are being so dismissive of what you're going through - it sounds like you're struggling with a lot right now.

Is there someone at school that you could possibly reach out to? Guidance counselors are there to help you identify career options and discuss plans for university, and I'd imagine they'd also be happy to talk with you about what's going on at home. Your school might even have a psychologist on staff that you could talk to; I know you said that there's a long wait list in your country for mental health care, so that could be a good option. You could also reach out to a teacher you feel comfortable with and let them know what's going on.

I urge you to try talking to someone instead of running away. So many things can happen when a young person goes off on their own, and we don't want anything to happen to you. Please know that you have options and that there are people who want to help. Reaching out to us here is a great first step!

I hope you're doing okay. Please take care.

Last edited by DeletedAccount57; February 7th 2019 at 10:28 AM.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ppinauma Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,196, Level: 7 Points: 2,196, Level: 7 Points: 2,196, Level: 7

Re: I feel like my parents are tired of me. - February 17th 2019, 08:18 PM

I think you should relax a little and criticize yourself less. You will succeed!
Closed Thread