TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PrincessPeach07 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,024, Level: 4 Points: 1,024, Level: 4 Points: 1,024, Level: 4

Do "tough" guys usually become more mild-mannered around girls? - February 16th 2022, 01:01 AM

I have noticed that most guys - even guys who are quite rough and tough with their friends and things like that - seem to become a lot more mild-mannered when they talk to me;
for example, if they shove their friends as a joke, talk with a powerful voice (although not necessarily loud) and make cheeky comments to each other, then they will almost always become a lot more calm and careful around me, and speak with a softer and quiter voice and everything.

My friends have told me that this is because I am only 4'9 and small in general, and also a girl, and that this makes those guys feel that they should take it easy.
But I have also heard that this can be a way to show interest, although I am not sure if this is true in my case, since I am only 14 years old at the moment.

Last edited by Ennui.; February 16th 2022 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Moving to more appropriate forum so you can get better advice :)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Do "tough" guys usually become more mild-mannered around girls? - February 16th 2022, 07:04 PM

Hey

This is a tricky one because it could be different for everyone. In my opinion, I think some 'tough' guys would lose respect from their friends if they weren't softer around girls, especially young ones. But it could also be a chivalrous thing in that men are supposed to be gentlemanly around women. It's not necessarily that they have an interest in you, especially if they are older than you and you are so young, but for boys your age that may also be a part of it.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42

Re: Do "tough" guys usually become more mild-mannered around girls? - February 17th 2022, 07:27 AM

Hi there!

Everyone is different but every individual should treat each other with respect.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PrincessPeach07 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,024, Level: 4 Points: 1,024, Level: 4 Points: 1,024, Level: 4

Re: Do "tough" guys usually become more mild-mannered around girls? - February 17th 2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
Hey

This is a tricky one because it could be different for everyone. In my opinion, I think some 'tough' guys would lose respect from their friends if they weren't softer around girls, especially young ones. But it could also be a chivalrous thing in that men are supposed to be gentlemanly around women. It's not necessarily that they have an interest in you, especially if they are older than you and you are so young, but for boys your age that may also be a part of it.
Yes, I guess so.
I mean, these guys aren't being barbaric och uncivilised or anything like that, they just have a much more of a tough attitude around each other, such as talking with fairly strong voices and all playfully shoving each other and giving each other friendly hits on the back and things like that, and they seem to immediately stop all that behaviour if I interact with them.

I guess it is mostly a matter of them realising that I am much smaller and much more vulnerable than them, and that they need to be careful;
sort of like how people become more careful and sweet-spoken among children.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: Do "tough" guys usually become more mild-mannered around girls? - May 8th 2022, 10:34 PM

Yep, everyone should be treated with respect. I did notice this amongst 'tough guys' during school and when younger.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,926, Level: 10 Points: 4,926, Level: 10 Points: 4,926, Level: 10

Re: Do "tough" guys usually become more mild-mannered around girls? - May 9th 2022, 06:22 AM

Yep. Also I noticed it.
Seems a natural thing. It's something that you can't decide, but instinctively you will talk gently from males to females.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Do "tough" guys usually become more mild-mannered around girls? - May 10th 2022, 10:51 AM

Hello there,

As the others have mentioned on this thread, it's quite natural for males to soften up when they interact with females. It's a universal characteristic; no matter how rough they might be with their friends.

It need not necessarily mean that someone is romantically interested in you. Unless the male directly tells you that he is, we would never know

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread