TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Anxiety is really bad - July 31st 2021, 09:02 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Mentions of medication etc.

My anxiety has like been really bad recently, like for no reason I am finding myself having random panic attacks.. like this week I have had 3 panic attacks... I don't know what's causing it either, I do have EUPD/BPD, but this seems like very extreme anxiety. The other day I was out for a meal with my mum and dad and my grandparents and it was all like going really well.. and then suddenly I came over like all hot, sweaty and very shaky, I had eaten my meal etc so it wasn't to do with hunger etc. It was an anxiety attack. I had to leave the restaurant and sit outside in the street on a bench taking deep breaths and trying to calm myself down. I had one while I was in the charity shop volunteering on Friday too, over nothing, literally nothing, one little mistake and I was like having a full blown panic attack... I had one today too a letter came through my door and it sent me into an anxiety attack it was not like even a unusual letter either just the average every day mail/letter.
I am on prozac/fluoxetine as well as a mood stabiliser, a sleeping tablet and a medication for my ADHD, I dont know what to do, I have like tried to get an appointment with my psychiatrist but they have not like got an appointment for me at the moment etc, it has like been suggested that I try and get a different medication as my support worker thinks I need a different medication than prozac as I have like been on prozac for well over an year etc, but I can't change medication without my psychiatrist etc.. I don't know what to do at all, I cannot keep going on with this anxiety like it is... I have tried meditation apps, I have tried distractions, coping skills etc, none of its helping nor working, I really don't know what to do... its like I am constantly living on edge and am just waiting for the next panic/anxiety attack...

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Anxiety is really bad - August 1st 2021, 05:38 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. As I was reading your post I saw you mention being out with family in a restaurant and then volunteering. I began thinking that maybe it's COVID related. I don't want to always point things to the pandemic, but it's really had a huge impact on many peoples lives, especially mental health.

I know you mentioned that you don't know what triggers it, but when you think about the three situations do any of them have anything in common?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Anxiety is really bad - August 3rd 2021, 12:23 PM

I agree with Brittany. I understand that you feel these panic attacks are coming out of nowhere but I'm also wondering what might be triggering them? For example, when you went out for a meal, was the restaurant busy or quiet? Were you worried about anything at the time- for example, worried about people looking at you or judging you? The same goes for volunteering. We all make mistakes, even people who have been doing the same job for years, will occasionally make mistakes. But it seems that even though you knew it was just a small mistake, you were really anxious about it. Were you alone or with others when you made the mistake? Were you worried about others reactions or worried that people might think of you negatively that you made a mistake?

Your last sentence is also really important. You feel that you are constantly living on edge, just waiting for the next panic attack. This might be partly why you have experienced many panic attacks in one week. When we have a panic attack, we might start to worry about the next time we'll have one. The problem is worrying about a panic attack may cause a panic attack.

I don't know much about medication, but if you think that you might need a different medication then that's always an option. But otherwise, you might want to think about what might've triggered your panic attacks. For example, if the restaurant was busy and noisy and you felt overwhelmed then the next time you go for a meal perhaps choose times that are quieter. If you worry about others judging you, then see if you can sit in a booth area which can give you more privacy and help you to feel more comfortable. If it's the opposite and you don't like restaurants when they are quiet, then opt for busier times and less private areas instead. And remember to challenge any thoughts you have- if you are worried about people staring, talking about you or judging you, just remember that people are often wrapped up in their own thoughts and they may be worried about others staring at them so there's less of a reason to feel anxious. You can also do this when volunteering- no-one is going to judge you for making a mistake, and you even realised that it was a small mistake so it's no big deal. It's understandable that when you are anxious you might not be able to think like this in the moment, but if you make a habit to challenge your thoughts on a regular basis, when it comes to moments before a panic attack, you'll hopefully be able to remember to challenge your thoughts.

As difficult as it is, try not to worry about having a panic attack. I understand that is easier said than done but the less we worry, the less likely we are to have a panic attack out of the blue.

Hope this helps a bit

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Anxiety is really bad - August 6th 2021, 08:55 PM

Thanks I’m like pretty sure it’s not anything pandemic related as I go by bus a lot and have been volunteering in a charity shop etc since April.. I’m thinking it might have just like been a odd week or something like that as I’ve been fine this week etc I am still quite anxious but haven’t had a panic attack etc however I am like finding I’m obsessing with things like checking my doors locked and such like and I will check it lkke 3-4 times before leaving my block etc..

Videos team
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Anxiety is really bad - August 6th 2021, 08:55 PM

Thanks I’m like pretty sure it’s not anything pandemic related as I go by bus a lot and have been volunteering in a charity shop etc since April.. I’m thinking it might have just like been a odd week or something like that as I’ve been fine this week etc I am still quite anxious but haven’t had a panic attack etc however I am like finding I’m obsessing with things like checking my doors locked and such like and I will check it lkke 3-4 times before leaving my block etc..

Videos team
Closed Thread