TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,851, Level: 42 Points: 88,851, Level: 42 Points: 88,851, Level: 42

Rollercoaster - February 14th 2024, 08:56 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Recently, I have noticed that I experience mood swings. I literally would be OK and next minute, I would experience a heightened sense of anxiety and depression. Often it's triggered by random thoughts of the mistakes I have done in the past and I can't seem to shake them off. At the time the thoughts enter my head, I don't have any triggers for them to appear in the first place. Because of the anxiety and depression, I lack motivation and energy and today in particular, I've had quite bad brain fog.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa
Pronouns: She / her

Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3

Re: Rollercoaster - February 14th 2024, 02:16 PM

That sounds rough, Dawn, Im sorry youre going through that. Its really puzzling that theyre happening randomly with no apparent trigger. I wonder how the brain fogs related, if it is in the first place?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: Rollercoaster - February 14th 2024, 08:33 PM

Hi Dawn,

Experiencing mood swings like that can definitely be challenging, especially when they seem to come out of nowhere. Since you can't shake the thoughts of past mistakes when they come, would it be possible for you to try redirecting your thoughts? For instance, you could try thinking about what you learned from the mistake and how it led to growth or a different path. If that doesn't work, or if you feel like it might create more anxiety for you, you can also try practicing self-care in the moments that you feel anxious. Since you don't have a lot of energy when you're anxious, you could try something calming like watching a favorite TV show, coloring a picture, or taking a bath. While doing something to take care of yourself won't necessarily get rid of the anxious feelings, it can add a calming element to your environment, which could help the anxiety feel more mild.

I hope this helped! Please let me know if you need any more suggestions or if you'd like to talk about this in more detail!

Take care,
Sam

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Butterscotch. Offline
rising like a skyscraper 💜
Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/her, they/them

Points: 1,821, Level: 6 Points: 1,821, Level: 6 Points: 1,821, Level: 6

Re: Rollercoaster - February 16th 2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by This_is_the_greatest_plan View Post
That sounds rough, Dawn, Im sorry youre going through that. Its really puzzling that theyre happening randomly with no apparent trigger. I wonder how the brain fogs related, if it is in the first place?
Intrusive thoughts can occur at any given time for no reason. That's a part of depression, anxiety, PTSD. Brain fog is a huge part of depression and dissociation, because you're basically moving through the day, you're body making the motions needed, you're doing the things thatn eed to get done, but it's all automatic. You're not really there.

But a lot of people use "brain fog" when they really mean they're exhausted or they're distracted. Brain fog is part of chronic illness, one that accompanies long-term depression and can be co-morbid with anxiety and PTSD. If anyone ever feels "brain fog" due to exhaustion, that can be easily solved by getting sleep, eating right, and exercising.

Whether our "brain fog" is chronic or temporary, we should always take care of ourselves. It's not easy to remind ourselves that these intrusive thoughts are just that, intrusive — they might be 1% truth and 99% fiction. Finding something to watch on your preferred streaming platform, calling up your best friend, cooking a healthy meal are some examples.

But people with profound brain fog, the one that lasts for years and isn't just a "24 hour" thing these might not be effective. Seeking psychiatric help would be the biggest, best, safest step to take. There might not be a root cause, because depression doesn't need an explanation. Depression doesn't need an excuse. It just is and we need to manage that.

It's how we manage our depression — such as talking to a therapist regularly — will improve our lives dramatically.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Rollercoaster - February 17th 2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch. View Post

Intrusive thoughts can occur at any given time for no reason. That's a part of depression, anxiety, PTSD. Brain fog is a huge part of depression and dissociation, because you're basically moving through the day, you're body making the motions needed, you're doing the things thatn eed to get done, but it's all automatic. You're not really there.

But a lot of people use "brain fog" when they really mean they're exhausted or they're distracted. Brain fog is part of chronic illness, one that accompanies long-term depression and can be co-morbid with anxiety and PTSD. If anyone ever feels "brain fog" due to exhaustion, that can be easily solved by getting sleep, eating right, and exercising.

When I read "brain fog" I thought of the symptom women go through in menopause, so I wondered if OPs brain fog was an addition to her symptoms rather than being another way of saying theyre exhausted, but I get how people could call exhaustion brain fog.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Rollercoaster - February 18th 2024, 02:34 AM

Quote:

Thank you so much for your reply. With the brain fog, I find it extremely difficult to concentrate on my tasks, I'm more forgetful and I find that I'm just going through the process of the day. I hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambedo. View Post
Hi Dawn,

Experiencing mood swings like that can definitely be challenging, especially when they seem to come out of nowhere. Since you can't shake the thoughts of past mistakes when they come, would it be possible for you to try redirecting your thoughts? For instance, you could try thinking about what you learned from the mistake and how it led to growth or a different path. If that doesn't work, or if you feel like it might create more anxiety for you, you can also try practicing self-care in the moments that you feel anxious. Since you don't have a lot of energy when you're anxious, you could try something calming like watching a favorite TV show, coloring a picture, or taking a bath. While doing something to take care of yourself won't necessarily get rid of the anxious feelings, it can add a calming element to your environment, which could help the anxiety feel more mild.

I hope this helped! Please let me know if you need any more suggestions or if you'd like to talk about this in more detail!

Take care,
Sam
Thank you so much for your reply! I've been meaning to engage in more self-care activities as I often don't do these as much as I should. I have also been trying to redirect my thoughts as well but it can be hard at times. I believe I may need to see a mental health professional to help me more with being able to redirect my thoughts and just telling myself that in the end, it'll be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch. View Post

Whether our "brain fog" is chronic or temporary, we should always take care of ourselves. It's not easy to remind ourselves that these intrusive thoughts are just that, intrusive — they might be 1% truth and 99% fiction. Finding something to watch on your preferred streaming platform, calling up your best friend, cooking a healthy meal are some examples.

But people with profound brain fog, the one that lasts for years and isn't just a "24 hour" thing these might not be effective. Seeking psychiatric help would be the biggest, best, safest step to take. There might not be a root cause, because depression doesn't need an explanation. Depression doesn't need an excuse. It just is and we need to manage that.

It's how we manage our depression — such as talking to a therapist regularly — will improve our lives dramatically.
Thank you so much for your reply! What you said about the brain fog is similar to what I experience in regards to not being present at times. I did go to my doctor to get a referral to see a therapist but lord in behold I forgot (probably because of my brain fog) as I was there for another reason as well. I was so annoyed with myself as that was the main reason why I went to see the doctor in the first place.

Quote:
When I read "brain fog" I thought of the symptom women go through in menopause, so I wondered if OPs brain fog was an addition to her symptoms rather than being another way of saying theyre exhausted, but I get how people could call exhaustion brain fog.
I believe part of the reason for my brain fog is because I am tired due to my anxiety and depression. Also because I work long hours as well which doesn't help.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Rollercoaster - February 18th 2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn. View Post

Thank you so much for your reply. With the brain fog, I find it extremely difficult to concentrate on my tasks, I'm more forgetful and I find that I'm just going through the process of the day. I hope that makes sense.

I believe part of the reason for my brain fog is because I am tired due to my anxiety and depression. Also because I work long hours as well which doesn't help.

That does make sense Thanks for explaining!

Youre pushing yourself really hard right now. No wonder youre feeling anxious and depressed. You didnt seem to be asking for help with how to fix that so Im not going to try to solve it, I just hope that you manage to do what you need to do so you can rest afterwards. Were all here if you ever need to talk.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Rollercoaster - February 20th 2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
That does make sense Thanks for explaining!

Youre pushing yourself really hard right now. No wonder youre feeling anxious and depressed. You didnt seem to be asking for help with how to fix that so Im not going to try to solve it, I just hope that you manage to do what you need to do so you can rest afterwards. Were all here if you ever need to talk.
I just needed to vent more than anything. I was asking for advice as well.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,950, Level: 10 Points: 4,950, Level: 10 Points: 4,950, Level: 10

Re: Rollercoaster - February 21st 2024, 06:19 PM

That's an accurate representation of me. You shouldn't see it as a bad thing if possible: it will only make it worse. When this happens, usually I will do a thing that makes me happy. It helps me to not think about that.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Rollercoaster - February 23rd 2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro04 View Post
That's an accurate representation of me. You shouldn't see it as a bad thing if possible: it will only make it worse. When this happens, usually I will do a thing that makes me happy. It helps me to not think about that.
I'm sorry that you experience this as well. It's certainly not something that I wish on anyone.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,352, Level: 47 Points: 109,352, Level: 47 Points: 109,352, Level: 47

Re: Rollercoaster - February 25th 2024, 05:47 PM

I'm sorry you we're having a hard time with all of this and I really hope that you will be okay soon. to help you to feel better soon.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Rollercoaster - February 28th 2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque- golfing girl. View Post
I'm sorry you we're having a hard time with all of this and I really hope that you will be okay soon. to help you to feel better soon.
Thank you for your reply!