TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Lifestyle and Hobbies Use this forum to discuss your favourite hobbies and interests.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Creating to-do lists. - July 15th 2021, 05:35 PM

Does anyone create a daily/weekly/monthly to-do list? Does it help you? How do you feel if you don't check everything off?

My dad has stuck to doing this ever since before I was born, when he embarked on a four-decade long career in finances. Even after he retired eight years ago, he continued to do this but with tasks that was not mostly exclusive to his line of work.

We had a discussion about this right around the time he retired, back in 2013, and I've made numerous attempts over the years at this but always failed. Plus, what didn't help and made me feel like a failure, was if I didn't get everything I had on my lsit done.

So, my question is does anyone else have a to-do list going? What do you do to motivate you to keep it going and to help you focus on tasks that need to get done? Do you reward yourself in any way after completing the list? If you do have a to-do list, what is the frequency? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Yearly?

Share your input here.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 16th 2021, 05:30 PM

An interesting thread I usually create lists with daily tasks, but not every day, only when I feel I need to because I would otherwise forget something. When I have many things to do, such a list puts my mind at ease, because I don't feel like I have to constantly remember all the stuff to do and I can just focus on that one task I'm doing at the moment. I don't reward myself for completing the lists... or perhaps that free time after having done everything is a reward

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 16th 2021, 11:49 PM

I should start to do it again. I had to-do lists when I was in grad school so I remembered everything I had to get done. Maybe try and prioritize it to feel less bad? For example, there are the things you absolutely MUST DO TODAY and then there are the moderate level importance things that you'd like to check off in the next day or two, then the eh, it can wait things, if that makes sense?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 18th 2021, 11:23 AM

I used to create to-do lists when I was in school to help me keep on top of homework and revision. I have a 'mental' to do list where I run through things I need to do that day or the next day in my mind. I also have a notepad next to my computer where I make a note of things I want to remember. I'd like to get better at keeping track of things so I should probably make more of an effort keeping to-do lists for daily/weekly things.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 19th 2021, 10:21 PM

I don't write to do lists every single day or religiously at all. I only write them when I have a very specific things to get through in a short amount of time and know I need to write them down or I'll forget to do them because there'll be a lot to do.

For example, when I need to do admin work at home, such as writing client programmes, keeping track of finances etc, I'll need them doing in a short period of time but there's a lot of things to do. I'll write myself a 'to do' list as a reminder.

If I don't manage to complete everything on the list it becomes a problem because they're usually important things on that list. General everyday things I never make lists for.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 20th 2021, 02:16 AM

I use a to do list at work. Keep in mind I could have 5 nurses and 2 doctors asking me to do something at the same time. I find it easier to write them all down in priority. This could be just me though.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 21st 2021, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust. View Post
Does anyone create a daily/weekly/monthly to-do list? Does it help you? How do you feel if you don't check everything off?
I outsource as many of my executive functions as I can, and I've found that creating to-do lists helps a lot because I don't have to worry as much about relying on my (unreliable) working memory or (lack of) time management skills. I often don't get every single item checked off, but over the years I've done a lot of work to be able to shift my mindset away from perfectionism and towards an attitude of "some is better than none"; that means that most of the time even just engaging with the to-do list and checking a few things off registers as a success in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust. View Post
So, my question is does anyone else have a to-do list going? What do you do to motivate you to keep it going and to help you focus on tasks that need to get done? Do you reward yourself in any way after completing the list? If you do have a to-do list, what is the frequency? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Yearly?
I use a combination of a habit tracker app, my phone's calendar, and a notebook. The app is good for motivation because it gamifies the process of doing real-world tasks, and the in-game rewards are a fun reward. That's what I use for daily tasks (things like having meals, showering, cleaning that needs to be done every day, etc). For one-off events (like appointments or academic deadlines) or anything that occurs on a less-than-daily frequency (bigger cleaning jobs, bills that have to be paid manually, etc), I add it into the app and my calendar, then set reminders for it so I won't accidentally forget it. Some days if my brain's a little fuzzier I'll also have a physical to-do list, which I only use for tasks that need to be done that day. Writing it down in a notebook helps me to a) remember the tasks and b) feel accomplished when I get to cross them off with a pen (as opposed to just tapping on a screen). As far as real-world rewards go, it depends on what tasks or lists I've completed. Sometimes the reward is completion itself, just knowing I don't have to worry about it anymore, but other times I'll do something like watch an episode of my favourite show or have something sweet/sugary to eat. If it's a really big task I might even buy myself something nice, like a new candle or piece of clothing.

Honestly it took me a while to find a system that works for me and that I was willing to stick to, so my advice (if you were looking for any) is just to try out different strategies and find the one that's best for you. Not everything works for every person, so it's a matter of finding what's best in terms of what your life is like and how your mind works.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 21st 2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheek! View Post
I should start to do it again. I had to-do lists when I was in grad school so I remembered everything I had to get done. Maybe try and prioritize it to feel less bad? For example, there are the things you absolutely MUST DO TODAY and then there are the moderate level importance things that you'd like to check off in the next day or two, then the eh, it can wait things, if that makes sense?
I am trying to be consistent with a to-do list and am finding it hard to maintain it. There are things I need to get done — such as going to the grocery store and laundry; then things I would like to get done — work on projects, which is really the least organized; and then other things to fill in my day.

My problem isn't that I have a super busy schedule — although, every once in a while it does get like that — but, rather, it's that I do absolutely nothing most days. I'm usually feeling a burst of motivation at 5pm or 6pm because I procrastinate the whole day, then I either feel bad about not doing anything or I get super restless.

It used to be that it would happen at 10 or 11 at night, which is really when I was able to drink caffeine and it worked the way it was supposed to — keep me awake and energized... but in the past few years, I've found myself going to bed by 9pm. I try waking up by 7am each morning but sometimes that doesn't always work!
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 22nd 2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
My problem isn't that I have a super busy schedule — although, every once in a while it does get like that — but, rather, it's that I do absolutely nothing most days. I'm usually feeling a burst of motivation at 5pm or 6pm because I procrastinate the whole day, then I either feel bad about not doing anything or I get super restless.
Sometimes people are more productive at different times than is considered the "standard." By standard, I basically mean the 9-5 type hours society seems to expect us to be productive. But, not everyone is like that and some people find that they are the most productive in the early morning or late at night. If you are more productive later in the day, use that time to your advantage! Of course, there will always be things that HAVE to be done during the day, but sometimes it helps to know when the times you work best are.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 24th 2021, 06:31 PM

I've been struggling to keep up with my to-do lists lately (trying to start again) but I did for several years.

I had a weekly to-do notepad to help me prioritize my tasks and I kept them color coded. One color was for appointments, one was for daily tasks, and the other one was for schoolwork. I didn't prioritize my daily tasks aside from that but I did try to do the ones I was least excited about first to get them over with. I liked crossing them off and after reaching the end of the notepad (one year) I got to pick out a new pretty one.

What also helps is that I have certain days dedicated to something so when that day rolls around, I know of a specific task. I do my laundry on Sundays, for instance. The day of the week sometimes changes over time but I've found that helpful. Trash day is Wednesday morning so I clean out the fridge Tuesday night.

I've been struggling with it because of my mental health I guess and I don't really like the current note pad I have. I was thinking of getting another weekly one that has markers for amount of water you've had and exercising too, so I can track that, or a daily one. I am not quite sure yet. I like to have a week so I can see the week ahead but I also like having a daily planner to help me with that particular day.

But doing it with pretty paper and colorful pens helps too.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Creating to-do lists. - July 25th 2021, 08:20 PM

I make to-do lists sometimes, usually mentally if I'm feeling productive. If I have something big coming up (e.g. a deadline) then I will write it out and tick it off as I go because it helps to keep me motivated seeing in front of me how much progress I've made. In general though I'm much more productive spontaneously rather than when I plan things out!

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Allyson Wood Offline
Average Joe

Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10

Re: Creating to-do lists. - August 5th 2021, 03:31 AM

I start creating my do lists during my high school days up until now.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42

Re: Creating to-do lists. - August 5th 2021, 05:23 AM

I have to do lists and it works for me because it always help remembering what needs to be done.

Closed Thread