TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Adjusting to increased hours at work ? - June 8th 2013, 09:32 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay recently my hours got increased at work not by a-lot or anything but before I was working 10 hours and 1 hours paperwork now beginning of may my hours got upped to 19 hours a week but I have found myself staying on at work to help tidy up etc un-paid I used to do this but it never used to make this tired and exhausted. I've put it down to the increase in hours meaning I am working lots more hours and not yet adjusted to the new working hours I've been given. Its taking its toll on me I'm constantly tired and am finding myself constantly thinking ' I need a break' ' I need a holiday'. I'm finding myself with very little energy and I'm constantly feeling drained. I know some of this isn't new feelings due to depression etc. But the more hours I've been given at work have defiantly made the tiredness and the feeling drained worse. I'm trying to eat healthier (when i'm not having periods of starvation or binging). I guess what I'm asking here is are there any other ways or anything else I can do to maybe decrease this tiredness, also what are some other ways to adjust to my new hours ? I go to karate twice a week so on average I'm active for about 24- 26 hours a week. I know its not alot of hours still.. but I'm finding it hard to adjust to these hours. During the week every day other than tuesday, saturday and sunday. I'm getting up at 6.30am. and not going to bed till about 11pm.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MGICECUBE15 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Meera

Points: 7,272, Level: 12 Points: 7,272, Level: 12 Points: 7,272, Level: 12

Re: Adjusting to increased hours at work ? - June 9th 2013, 04:40 PM

Hello ,

Is there any way you could ask your boss or your manager to slowly increase your time for work, so you get used to it easier and quicker. For example instead of having your hours upped to 19 hours, why dont you ask if you can first do 11 hours then once you feel comfortable with 11hours you can ask your boss/manager to increase your hours of work to 12 hours. Hope that makes sense.

Love from Meera xx

Be Strong, Have Faith, Have Courage xx

Current Mental Health - Sever depression, SAD,Self harm, Suicide thoughts, anxiety attacks and voices in my head.

Current Medicines - Fluoxetine

Feel free to PM me anytime , I love getting PM's and I love supporting people as it distracts me from my horrible thoughts.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Re: Adjusting to increased hours at work ? - June 10th 2013, 07:43 AM

No I can't do that I work in a pre-school so am needed for the staff ratio etc. Also 11 hours is what I was orginally working before my hours got upped. I'm just finding it hard to adjust to the new hours..

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39

Re: Adjusting to increased hours at work ? - June 13th 2013, 09:23 PM

Definitely keep working on the eating habits. I've found that I feel TERRIBLE when I don't get enough fresh fruit/vegetables. Have a big breakfast before going to work, bring healthy snacks to work (so you can keep up the energy throughout the day), and drink plenty of water! Coffee can be nice when you first wake up, but it can't replace water. Also, be sure to continue those healthy eating habits throughout the week. Continue to eat breakfast, even if you're waking up later (by the way, it helps to maintain somewhat regular sleeping habits... so sleeping in until 9-10 may be okay, but until 12+ could throw you off), and limit your alcohol/caffeine/sugar consumption on your days off.

Little things kept me sane on my "long days" (which were generally 6 AM - 10 PM), like reading a book during my short breaks, or grabbing a treat from Starbucks after a particularly rough day. I kept up a routine during my "off" days (ex. buying groceries, doing laundry, washing dishes), but I also made sure there was plenty of time to do things that genuinely gave me pleasure (such as working on TeenHelp, reading, or watching my favorite TV shows). Finding the right balance could take you more than a couple of days, or even a couple of weeks. Be patient, and keep doing things that are good for your body (healthy eating, exercise, and adequate sleep). Everything will click into place eventually. If it doesn't, then you may need to look into other possibilities, such as your job not being a "good fit" in the long run (in which case, you can use your days off to hunt for new jobs).

Closed Thread