TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sammichez Offline
/人◕‿‿◕人\
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail (or Abbi)

Points: 9,286, Level: 14 Points: 9,286, Level: 14 Points: 9,286, Level: 14

Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 20th 2013, 08:23 PM

Source: http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.ht...iref=allsearch
If Jaden actually stayed in school, he would know that not every word starts with a capital letter (and this is coming from someone who's two years younger than him ).
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 20th 2013, 08:31 PM

I do agree with what several people on the video said about it's easy for him to go around saying that when he's grown up in Hollywood with all the opportunities and privileges that come along with it.

For us regular people the only way we can make anything of ourselves is either to hold out for a lucky break which 99% of the regular population will not get OR we have to work hard to achieve our goals. The majority of employers aren't going to want to hire a high-school drop out.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 20th 2013, 08:53 PM

I can agree that most of the stuff you learn, you never use again, but apart from that, he's out of line.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 20th 2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Slut View Post
For us regular people the only way we can make anything of ourselves is either to hold out for a lucky break which 99% of the regular population will not get OR we have to work hard to achieve our goals. The majority of employers aren't going to want to hire a high-school drop out.
This.

It's easy for a person from a privileged background to tell us that we're all idiots for staying in school and that we'd be better off dropping out. Unfortunately, not all of us were born into money and slept in a cot lined with dollar bills, so we have no choice, otherwise we won't get anywhere reasonable in life, nor should we expect to, if we don't work to earn it. Simple as.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,364, Level: 14 Points: 10,364, Level: 14 Points: 10,364, Level: 14

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 20th 2013, 09:40 PM

His tweet about babies was just hilarious.

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 21st 2013, 12:52 AM

That is pretty ridiculous for someone to say. I agree with what the people in the videos said. It is easy for someone from a privileged background to say something like this but where are the people who aren't privileged supposed to go in order to achieve their goals and get the education to make a living? If people don't stay in school their going to have to work really really hard at minimum wage jobs just to earn a living...School is the way to go.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Points: 9,720, Level: 14 Points: 9,720, Level: 14 Points: 9,720, Level: 14

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 21st 2013, 04:00 AM

I disagree. Highschool's a unique experience, and it'll provide more flexibility in life.
Unless your famous and rich, then he has enough flexibility.
It's missing highschool and that experience of growing up around kids that I think is the best part of school.

What lies ahead is unknown. However, in some times, I've sighted several smooth pavements. I myself am the mender of roads, and it is with these we work on.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Beating the odds ~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Mads

Points: 9,356, Level: 14 Points: 9,356, Level: 14 Points: 9,356, Level: 14

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 21st 2013, 11:54 AM

How do you become more intelligent by leaving a place where you learn?
Easy for you to say Jaden, my family isn't made of rich movie stars.
And I hope that that boy is getting some form of education. When it comes to being an actor, a writer, a singer, a dancer, you always want to have enough education so that if things don't exactly work out, you are at least smart and certified enough to get a different job that'll support you in the meantime.
Plus school is a great way to meet new people, and learn responsibility. Geeez, at times I wish I was rich enough to drop out

"Don't tell me you're not beautiful. You're the kind of beautiful the blind would see if we could figure out some way to give them three seconds of sight." -- Shane Koyczan
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 21st 2013, 01:10 PM

I haven't seen the article nor do I really care, leaving school is a personal choice up to the individual and it can be either good or bad depending on the person, circumstances etc but I just wanna say because I'm passionate about the negativity surrounding school leavers, I'm not rich and I did not complete high school, I dropped out at the start of year 12 (for reasons that dont matter, like I said it depends on the person, circumstances etc) and I'm doing just fine. I have no regrets. I have a job I love, I'm successful in that job, I have many career options open to me that I'm thinking about and yeahI know that maybe I can't do somethings because of leaving school early but you know what I don't want to do those things and anyway if I really wanted to like later in on in life I can do further study then. I mean in some cases yes it can go badly but in my case it worked out for the best and I believe if I had stayed in school I wouldn't be where I am today. So yeah, not everyone who is a high school drop out is rich, or lazy or stupid or jobless etc the list goes on. I just wanted to point that out. As I said it can be good or and depending on a lot of things so yeah up to the individual to decide what they feel is best and I wish the judgment was't so harsh from some people.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Points: 7,886, Level: 13 Points: 7,886, Level: 13 Points: 7,886, Level: 13

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 22nd 2013, 01:25 AM

Hey look, it's another movie star from a movie star family talking about how he didn't need to have an education to make a billion dollars. I'm sorry, but not everyone is born into a rich movie star family. Just because you have a rich family doesn't mean your going to get positive reception for being an ignorant fuck. Have a nice day.

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 22nd 2013, 09:16 AM

I think its ridiculous as regular people need education to get a job, to get opportunities in life. I completely agree with Mads.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 22nd 2013, 03:25 PM

He's from a family of Scientologists. I don't care much for what any of them think or say.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 23rd 2013, 03:53 AM

I don't know.

There have been many people who have dropped out of HS who are way smarter than I am so I really can't argue.

But then again he's saying school in general so no College? That's very ignorant and the reason as to why I hate twitter. Isn't twitter and facebook supposed to be private anyways?

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Points: 7,886, Level: 13 Points: 7,886, Level: 13 Points: 7,886, Level: 13

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 23rd 2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick. View Post
I don't know.

There have been many people who have dropped out of HS who are way smarter than I am so I really can't argue.

But then again he's saying school in general so no College? That's very ignorant and the reason as to why I hate twitter. Isn't twitter and facebook supposed to be private anyways?
Facebook tends to involve a lot more privacy than Twitter. I can see why someone would make certain things private on their Facebook, but I honestly don't see the point in making all your tweets private.

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Points: 20,566, Level: 20 Points: 20,566, Level: 20 Points: 20,566, Level: 20

Re: Jaden Smith wants us all to dropout of high school. - September 23rd 2013, 07:38 AM

Here's the thing....

I used to think that without success in high school, there weren't a lot of career opportunities out there, other than starting your own business. I knew school was a foundation but it was something you need to do well in, to get yourself started...

What I didn't realise or think about is that different things work for different people. Sometimes, in some cases, people don't learn well in school because it is so standardized and generalised, among many other reasons. And that's OK, sometimes school isn't FOR certain people.

I don't think this has anything to do with him being privileged or rich, or spoilt either. School, especially at a higher level is perceived as a difficult and even dark place for some people and I don't think we should be bashing somebody for a comment which indicates that school didn't work for him which is OK. School doesn't cover many of the other aspects of intelligence and talent, at least not seriously or responsively, by any means.

It may not be the generalised or generally well accepted point, but he is speaking from his experiences with high school.

On the other hand, I don't think he should be screaming this from the rooftops and encouraging people to drop out of school either. There is a fine line between expressing a point and encouraging an action.

So all in all, I think he has every right to express his opinion and he definitely has every right to express that school didn't work for him and that's totally fine, but he shouldn't be encouraging it either.

You know, when I was fifteen, I hated school as well because there was so little freedom and the fact that you weren't even allowed OUTSIDE of the school realms was insane and when I think about it, still is! And they were putting such a concentration on certain subjects and almost dismissing others, so there was hardly any freedom, so I suggest people take multiple viewpoints in mind before making a decision.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.
Closed Thread