TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

College applications? - November 3rd 2013, 10:08 PM

Because I am a worrywart.

For both of my colleges, it seems as if I need to send in my transcripts by mail. Do I just send the transcripts to the office of admissions and they'll know what to do? Do I need to add a specific admissions counselor's name to the mail? And the envelope would look something like this, right:
University of Saint Joseph - Office of Admissions
-whatever address that is here-

If I have to add the admissions counselor, where would their name go?

Should I wait for a few days after mailing my transcripts to submit the actual application online or does it not matter, like could I just hit submit and then they'll realize that hey, maybe the transcripts are on their way?

And on the application it asks if I'm interested in living in a dorm or commuting. Right now I'm commuting, but I can change my mind later on, right? Like if I get accepted I could just talk to someone in the college about living in a dorm instead?

Also, as far as letters of recommendation go, I don't need to send those in one of the envelopes that has my high school name, etc., on it? A plain white envelope with my own address on it will do, right? Both people who gave me letters of recommendation just gave them to me in folders so I'm assuming there's nothing fancy I have to do there besides mail it.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive

Last edited by Ennui.; November 3rd 2013 at 10:23 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: College applications? - November 4th 2013, 01:14 AM

Hey Dez!
When I sent my transcripts for college, there was this form I had to fill out and turn it into my school. But yeah, you do send it to the office of admissions-you'll find the address on the college's website. Sending transcripts by mail? Do you have an official copy of your transcript that you can send out? Usually most schools do that- like schools send the actual transcript. Also, there is no counselor's name involved. You just send it to the office of admissions and they'll take care of it. For my applications, I sent in the application the same day(like hit the submit button) on the day I requested for transcript to be sent. But overall, it doesn't really matter in what order you do it as long as it doesn't cross the deadline.

I think if you want to get a dorm- you have to let them know by a certain date(at least for some schools, not sure about that one). And for recommendation letters- plain white envelopes work fine. Basically, you have to fill out the envelopes and give them to the recommenders, and they'll mail it for you. I hope this helps! and good luck!!

~Rishy

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: College applications? - November 4th 2013, 03:16 AM

Hey Dez, when you're dealing with official copies of documents (transcripts and letters of recommendation) you don't actually send them. You request your transcripts from your school and tell them which college(s) to send them to.

For the letters of recommendation you usually give the address (which should be relatively easy to find) to the people who are writing letters for you and they will send them directly to the school once they're written. You are entitled to a copy of the letter, but some people won't write letters for you unless you waive that right. There should be forms for these, if required, available on the college's website. When I did mine, the people asked for envelopes with the address and postage. If they are giving you the letters to mail then it just makes sense that you would mail them. A lot of colleges insist that the letters be submitted by the person who wrote them (so they know that you didn't alter or fake them)

You can fill out the online application at any time, the sooner the better. It's usually easier to start with that and then make a list of all the extra documents you need so you can keep track of what's going where, getting submitted when and by who. It doesn't matter though, your name will be on everything and once it leaves your hands they have a way to organize everything and they'll let you know when they get stuff.

They ask about living arrangements so they can get an estimate of how many residents to expect. If you change your mind once you're accepted you should just be able to apply for housing as long as you keep track of when the deadline is. It might depend on the school though.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: College applications? - November 4th 2013, 12:26 PM

Well, you have to know where to tell other people to send the transcripts. You need to make sure it is an official copy. Usually it'll either have a seal on it or stamp it. Your school apparently wants the transcripts sent directly from the school in the mail.

It looks like you send it this way:
Office of the Undergraduate Admissions
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0016

Never assume with the transcripts. I've applied to a few schools and some people want it sent to a specific address or office so students can sort it accordingly. Don't put the admissions counselor on it. It'll be students scanning the documents 90% of the time.

If it asks for letters of recommendation, then they may need to send it. In that case, I'd give them an addressed stamped envelope to send it in.

http://igateways.sjsu.edu/Advising/A...g_to_SJSU.html

99% of the time you apply and then send the transcripts. Usually at the end of the application or in an email they tell you the official address to send the transcripts.

With the dorm, you usually need to apply early on. Most schools have a limited space and they may even waitlist you. I know students who were waitlisted when I was at Ohio State and they had to live off campus. If you don't apply for housing now, they may not have it.

Do they ask for letters of recommendation>
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: College applications? - November 4th 2013, 01:41 PM

The school's name is already on the envelope so it's probably safe to send the transcripts myself.

I can ask guidance for empty envelopes and send the letters of recommendation, then just call the admissions office of both to make sure I get the proper address.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: College applications? - November 5th 2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabithia. View Post
The school's name is already on the envelope so it's probably safe to send the transcripts myself.

I can ask guidance for empty envelopes and send the letters of recommendation, then just call the admissions office of both to make sure I get the proper address.
Is it a sealed envelope? They may refuse them as they could have been tampered with. I would instead ask the high school to send the transcripts. Many universities will reject transcripts that are not in an official sealed envelope . It could even delay your admission and any financial aid.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Re: College applications? - November 5th 2013, 04:04 PM

Yes, they are sealed. I had to request them directly from the guidance secretary.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: College applications? - November 5th 2013, 09:02 PM

It's still up to you. There is also a chance that there will be a "issued to student" included on the transcript inside the envelope. Some places put it and some places don't. I personally wouldn't chance it and instead follow what the university says to do on the website.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: College applications? - November 6th 2013, 09:48 PM

Hey, Dez! I can't believe you're applying for colleges, it's scary to think those born in 1996 are now high school seniors.

I agree with Sara, you should send it directly to the college admissions office yourself. Don't do it through the school. They should have the address listed on the college's website.

When I applied for proper admission back in July, I did exactly what was listed on the college's website. As for transcripts, you can attach it to your admission request or have your current school do it. But it's best you send the high school transcript to them yourself. I did that with my high school transcript.
Closed Thread