TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Thinking about law school - March 31st 2015, 06:05 AM

I have considered the idea of going to law school. People with the disorder that I have supposedly make really good lawyers, but I had briefly considered it before I knew I had the disorder.

The problem is that I'd have to pass the LSAT and said disorder means that my score won't reflect my potential. I also have to disclose and explain the counseling program/university dismissal. They told me it was nothing that I did wrong, but nobody gets non-academically dismissed from a program/university for doing NOTHING wrong. I'm afraid it could disqualify me either because it happened, or because they will think I lied about it not being my fault or think I'm "not taking responsibility" like I've been accused of so many times before.

Also, I can go back to the university in a year and I'll probably end up with the degree that the counseling faculty thought would be a good fit, but I may need permission before applying again. The letter from the dean didn't say that (and I would think that it would've definitely been in there). I was told I could get recommendations from the counseling program faculty no problem, but I'm still afraid to bother asking for them (I can apply in the fall to start in January).

This degree feels very much like a consolation degree. Like "Sorry you can't have the one you've wanted forever and came so close to having, and sorry we couldn't give you a good reason for that, but after we throw you out for a year, you can get this degree instead if we decide to take you back. I don't know what you can do with it, but it's better than nothing right?"

I suppose, but I just don't know. It's not that I don't want to go back there, it's more that it's going to be hard to be back on that campus and in that building after everything I've been through and knowing that if I got back in, it would probably only be because someone felt sorry for me.

This is mostly me venting, you can reply if you want.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: Thinking about law school - April 1st 2015, 07:57 AM

I've thought about law school as well. Maybe I'll take that up someday, but I'm not sure right now.

I don't have any advice to give, but I've been following your posts in this forum for a while now and my heart really goes out to you for all the challenges that have been thrown your way. Navigating school and career direction in the presence of barriers is really tough and can be so demoralizing.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Thinking about law school - April 1st 2015, 05:21 PM

I wouldn't do law before having any kind of law experience first to decide if it's truly what you want to do. My father was pre-law all through college, did an internship at the legislature and hated it and became a Spanish teacher. It's not for everybody.

I've seen you've posted about a few different degrees ideas due to this awful situation. Do you have time to decide on your next degree? I wouldn't just pick something at random, so if you have a year, I think that'd be a lot more time to really figure out what you want to do with your life. Master's degrees don't always guarantee better job outcomes, especially in the social sciences. Many master's do not actually increase pay significantly unless you decide to pursue your doctorate and teach. Counseling, for example, is a master's needed career yet frequently pays under $40,000, and many other social sciences are like this. I'd really think before you make an investment like this in a career you do not know much about or are just settling on because you want the degree. Here is a source on "Best Master's Degrees" for this day in age. Don't let money be a determining factor; at the same time, if you're settling on a degree because of this terrible situation, don't pick something at random.

something burning?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Thinking about law school - April 1st 2015, 10:26 PM

It was an idea I had, I probably won't do it. No, I do NOT have time to figure out what degree I want. and just because I want something doesn't mean I'm capable of actually doing it. A bachelors degree in psychology is useless by itself, I'm unemployed with NO job prospects whatsoever, and student loan debt from a failed career venture slowly crushing me to death. I'm also trying to come to terms with brain damage that seriously limits my abilities and career choices and some days it takes every ounce of strength I have just to keep breathing.

I'm doing my research, and I know not to jump into anything. Having this situation happen again is the absolute LAST thing I want. My decisions about anything are far from random. In fact, I'm often accused of not being able to make up my mind! I don't have every career opportunity in the world open to me. Whatever I end up doing, I will probably be settling for something I'm actually capable of as opposed to something I want so I may as well be able to support myself.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; April 2nd 2015 at 01:34 AM.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Thinking about law school - April 2nd 2015, 02:35 AM

Having a bachelor's degree in Psychology isn't necessarily useless. Yes, it is ideal to go on and get a Master's or something like that but there are people who do not pursue that with psychology degrees and find good jobs. The thing is you have a degree and there are places that will take that into consideration. Degrees are really important now a days and you could get a job somewhere that will accept a psychology degree. I've talked to many people who have told me this because, while I want to go to graduate school, due to my own mental health problems I might not be able to manage it. I think I can but my grades are seriously slacking so I don't know how great of a chance I stand of getting into a Master's program. T

The key is to get some experience, some way, and then start applying at better places. My dad works for the state and they like people to have degrees and the degrees people have vary. Someone has a degree in Psychology and Criminology.
Closed Thread