TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Name: Me
Pronouns: She/they/he

Points: 7,397, Level: 12 Points: 7,397, Level: 12 Points: 7,397, Level: 12

How to maintain my focus? - September 21st 2019, 06:28 AM

When I'm doing homework my mind sorta goes everywhere. I can focus for a while but then half an hour goes by and all of sudden my brain goes on a thousand side tangents and I end up creating a new conspiracy theory about World War 2 while I'm trying to read an article on e-books. I'm in college, studying Library Tech, so there's loads of reading and information to process. I've tried looking up how, but a lot of it says to "focus on one thing at a time" (which I'm trying to do) or to "eliminate Distractions" which is literally just my own thoughts having a party. I

Unsure on how to get my brain to stop having that party while there's school work to be done

I can reach out
To someone not like me
If you ask for help it doesn't make you weak
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
June Harris Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: June

Points: 3,259, Level: 8 Points: 3,259, Level: 8 Points: 3,259, Level: 8

Re: How to maintain my focus? - September 25th 2019, 03:15 PM

i think you should have your own goal
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: How to maintain my focus? - September 26th 2019, 11:16 AM

It can be difficult to focus for long periods of time. If you are managing to focus for around half an hour but after that find yourself getting distracted, maybe you can take a break for a while? It can help to read or study in short bursts of 20-30 minutes and then have a break so that you don't get distracted while trying to carry on reading. You could try mindfulness and gently tell yourself that you are getting distracted and to keep trying to bring your attention back to the reading. However, if you continue to get distracted, you may only get annoyed at yourself so best to take a break instead and come back to reading when you can focus a bit better.

If you find yourself constantly getting distracted either in college or when you have to study, you might also want to speak to someone at college such as student support who may be able to help you.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
EliteKid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 664, Level: 4 Points: 664, Level: 4 Points: 664, Level: 4

Smile Re: How to maintain my focus? - March 14th 2021, 06:16 PM

Hey there,

You must be wondering why these thoughts are only troubling you and that too with this intensity that it might feel impossible trying to stop what you think. Right?

The thing is, everyone is born different. And you have a spectacular mind.
Your mental powers are at a whole new level. You must embrace it, tackle and control it to make you grow in the right direction.

I believe you have the amazing power of thinking innovatively. Even if it might feel totally absurd to you right now, trust me it will prove itself in the future.
The thoughts are coming from your subconscious mind and it actually means that your subconscious part of the brain is closer to your conscious part of the brain, making it possible for your subconscious self to take over and do what interests him the best (i.e. thinking).

The subconscious mind is responsible for your dreams as it is awake while your conscious self is asleep and that's exactly why you should use this benefit to your advantage.

Our subconscious mind is often referred to as a baby, as it gets distracted easily and needs a lot of control and practice to make it work in the right direction.

So you must meditate and spend more time calming your inner self maybe by going out in nature and letting it go all into thoughts, beyond limits.
Closed Thread